News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I am not sure if I trust OPP for this job. What this country sorely needs is an independent anti-corruption force.

AoD
Pick a current police service or your choosing, or come up with a new one, but every law enforcement agency in a democracy has to be accountable to some level of civilian authority.

I agree the whole affair stinks to high heaven, but there is the little matter of admissible, probative evidence in criminal investigations. It might be there, it might not. Time will tell. One thing that interests me is the confidentiality agreements signed by the 'task force'. None can absolve someone of criminal liability. I'd start there.

Last edited:
What about the destruction of records, emails, etc. As is often the case, it is not the crime but the cover-up that brings them down.

What about the destruction of records, emails, etc. As is often the case, it is not the crime but the cover-up that brings them down.
Perhaps, but only in furtherance of a crime. Destroying records is only an offence in and of itself if you are required by law (not policy) to keep them. Besides, recovering emails is pretty much a no-brainer for a forensic IT investigator if they have the grounds to go looking.

Last edited:
Actually, in some existential way, I see Ford's modus operandi as one that normalizes the act of "covering up" in the name of "moving forward" and "serving the people". Sort of like his weasel way of overwriting heritage and environmental laws and protections and official statements in place--or even proposing the same (like, Bill 23's insistence upon municipalities deleting their listed-not-designated heritage property inventories after a set time--almost like, wipe off the map, as if it weren't something to be of archival record but a bag of spoiled milk to be thrown out. And in a manner that the post-hard-copy electronic age unfortunately normalizes, where everything is in a constant state of rewrite and overwrite.)

‘No transparency’: Premier Doug Ford faces questions over use of personal phone

From link.

As Ontario Premier Doug Ford sat down for a fireside chat at Toronto’s Empire Club in June, he gestured to a bank of broadcast television cameras in the back of the room and briefly paused to consider what he was about to say.

“Is this live on TV?” Ford asked, before immediately dismissing his own concern. “It doesn’t matter,” he continued.

“I’m giving my cell number, everyone has it anyways.”

Ford then offered up a phone number, with a 647 area code, to a room full of lobbyists, business leaders and attendees with both private and public interests.

“It is the premier’s personal cell phone number,” a government document sent to Global News as part of an ongoing freedom of information appeal confirmed.

While Ford has made accessibility part of his personal brand, handing his phone number out to voters and CEOs alike, new questions are being raised about who has direct access to the premier, who serves as the ultimate decision-maker in Canada’s most populated province.

Those questions have been given new weight after the stinging Greenbelt report from Ontario’s auditor general revealed who has direct and informal access to the Ford government.
In an attempt to gain insight into the premier’s government-related phone calls, Global News requested a copy of the call log for Ford’s private cellphone number during a one-week period in November 2022.

The request, however, was denied by government officials on the basis that it was Ford’s personal number and had nothing to do with government business.

“Cabinet Office does not have physical possession of any records related to the Premier’s personal cell phone number, including any call logs,” officials wrote in their response.

In addition, officials also argued that any suggestion that the premier uses his personal cellphone for government work is “speculative” and “hypothetical.”

Staff claimed Ford has a “clear expectation of privacy” around his personal phone and said any request for the records was “unreasonable and unwarranted.”

What was made clear by government officials was Ford did not use his government-issued cellphone to make a single phone call during that one-week period in November.

“In this case, the phone bills indicate that there were no calls during the billing periods in question,” a senior privacy staffer with the cabinet office told Global News of Ford’s government device.

At the time the government was facing tremendous backlash over its decision to impose a contract on education support workers using the notwithstanding clause. Ford later backed down and rescinded the legislation after the premier said he had been “on the phone all night… returning calls.”

Global News is appealing the government’s attempts to keep the premier’s call logs a secret. Communications staff in Ford’s office did not respond to a request for comment for this story.

Ann Cavoukian, Ontario’s former three-time Information and Privacy Commissioner, told Global News Ford’s use of his personal cellphone for government business leaves taxpayers with a transparency black hole.

“To only have one cellphone that protects everything is, to me, completely unacceptable because it means your government-related activity cannot be accessed,” she said. “There’s no visibility — there’s no transparency.”

Ford’s political critics underscored the issue of transparency, especially given the government’s controversial changes to the Greenbelt.

“I think Ontario … has many questions about who this premier has been talking to,” said NDP MPP Catherine Fife.
Accessibility has been part of the Ford political brand for decades.

Before he was elected Premier of Ontario, when he still sat on Toronto city council, Ford, and his late brother Rob, were known for their retail politics. The pair would hand out their phone numbers to residents, local businesses and anyone who needed quicker access to elected representatives.

When Ford became leader of the Progressive Conservatives and eventually premier, he kept the same number and the same style of retail politics.

“We’re focused, again, on making sure that we take care of the grassroots people,” Ford told the Ontario legislature in March 2019. “They don’t need access to Doug Ford. They call me on my cellphone. I get hundreds of calls a day. I return their phone calls.”

On a trip to Washington D.C. as Ontario premier, Ford gave out his number during an event broadcast on television, urging people to text him because of the large volume of messages he receives.

“I think that the premier really has put his cellphone at the centre of the public service,” Fife told Global News. “He has been very vocal about giving his number out, saying, ‘If you need help, reach me on my cellphone, call me.’”

The premier, however, has also made his cellphone a key part of how he governs.

Ford has said he receives nightly phone calls from his economic development minister with status updates on Ontario’s economy and speaks to and texts mayors about government decisions including the dissolution of Peel Region.

Recently, Ford helped to negotiate a multi-billion dollar provincial investment to keep the Stellantis in Windsor — some of which was done in late-night phone calls.

“Premier Ford… and I exchanged happy text messages this morning, we had some middle-of-the-night phone conversations to get there — and when I say middle of the night, I really do mean 1:30 in the morning,” said federal Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland of her conversations with Ford.

At the recent Empire Club speech, Ford told attendees they could reach him via text message and explained that Patrick Sackville, his chief of staff, helps him to manage the messages and requests he receives on his personal phone.

“We’re up to midnight going back and forth,” Ford said.

“If your family needs help, you need help, your business needs help, send it over to me,” he continued, “Give me a few hours or the next morning, but I get back to every single person.”
Premier Ford’s use of his personal phone comes as his administration faces renewed scrutiny over its relationship with developers.

A blistering report into a decision to remove 7,400 acres of land from the Greenbelt released by Ontario’s auditor general laid out just how much access a few developers have to the Ontario government.

The report gave an example of the relationship, explaining how two “prominent developers” had given a top Queen’s Park political staffer packages containing information about Greenbelt sites they wanted to see removed, the report said.

“The Chief of Staff sat at the same dinner table with one of these two developers,” the auditor general wrote. The chief of staff told the auditor general he had a “stack” of similar requests in his office.

The developers at the event ended up with 92 per cent of the land removed from the Greenbelt, auditor general Bonnie Lysyk wrote.
The report said the influence of some lobbyists was so strong that their suggested amendments to legislation would be copied and pasted into a document that was “then forwarded on to Deputy Ministers for inclusion in legislative packages.”

Ford has also faced questions about his close relationship with developers after his office described some as his “personal friends” in a statement to Ontario’s integrity commissioner.

“The fact that we haven’t been able to access what’s on that phone, who he’s talking to, what deals he’s making, obviously is hugely concerning to us,” Fife said. “As the premier, as the leader of the province of Ontario, using a personal cellphone… is certainly a break in protocol.”
In 2014, after facing political upheaval over the deletion of documents related to the gas plants scandal, the former Liberal government was forced to implement a new policy for the retention of records.

Freedom of information laws were amended to ensure that the “head of an institution” was responsible for ensuring that government records were retained and preserved.

“(It’s) very important, so you can piece together what took place a few years ago if you need to,” Cavoukian said. “You can put together the pieces. Otherwise, there’s no openness and transparency.”

During her Greenbelt investigation, the auditor general found political staff inside the Ford government were using personal email addresses to do government work and were “regularly” deleting emails.

“There were occasions when government emails were forwarded by political staff from their government accounts to their personal email accounts,” the report said.

On Monday, the province acknowledged its legal obligation to retain documents in a government-wide memo sent in response to the AG report.

“Please ensure adherence to records retention requirements, including the documentation of materials received by third parties and only use government emails for work related matters,” the memo read.

Global News is appealing the decision to deny access to Ford’s personal cellphone records. An adjudicator ruled the government should provide evidence to rebut the suggestion the premier is using his personal phone for government work.

The government has requested a month-long extension to respond.

Pick a current police service or your choosing, or come up with a new one, but every law enforcement agency in a democracy has to be accountable to some level of civilian authority.

I agree the whole affair stinks to high heaven, but there is the little matter of admissible, probative evidence in criminal investigations. It might be there, it might not. Time will tell. One thing that interests me is the confidentiality agreements since by the 'task force'. None can absolve someone of criminal liability. I'd start there.

Yes, preferably not to the same level of government. Trust is a luxury that neither the force nor the government has.

AoD

F3HWgCmXgAIZtSj
From link.

The Councillors & Mayor "folks" in Toronto didn't like it when you "interfered" with Toronto. Now it's your turn, Doug.

Feds take next step on study that could stop Greenbelt development

Ottawa's study could lay the groundwork for blocking Greenbelt development in the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve

From link.

A federal study that could derail the Ontario government's plans to build housing on former Greenbelt land took another quiet step on Tuesday.

The Impact Assessment Agency finalized the terms for its study on how development will affect the area in and around Rouge National Urban Park and other areas of federal jurisdiction, like protecting species at risk.

The study will take into account more land than was initially outlined when the process started earlier this year.

Originally, the study was going to look at the effects on the national park itself, the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve, and adjacent federal lands. The Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve sits just east of Rouge Park and is home to around 60 per cent of the land the PCs took out of the Greenbelt last November.

The new terms specifically target those, plus additional federal lands in Pickering and further land that could be opened for development by ministerial zoning orders issued by the Ontario government.

If the agency finds development would adversely affect any of those areas, Ottawa could step in and block development but only when a potential project gets past the planning stages.

"Most of the tools I have — whether they're impact assessment or species at risk — can be deployed once specific projects are being announced. Until those projects are announced, it's a bit more difficult for us to get involved," federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault told The Trillium in a May interview.

The new terms are also more explicit about studying the "cumulative" effects of development, whereas the previous terms talked more about the "direct" effects.

"Cumulative effects means ... projecting out the impacts of things like roads, subdivisions, paving, and what that's going to do to the social, economic and ecological values in the park," said Tim Gray, executive director of Environmental Defence.

The province will address all of the federal government's concerns, said Caitlin Clark, Premier Doug Ford's press secretary.

"As previously noted by the federal government the readily developable lands in question are not connected to the Rouge National Urban Park. As they should also be aware, any development on these lands must avoid impacts to species at risk and comply with the Endangered Species Act," she said in a statement to The Trillium.

With the terms now set in stone, the next step is naming three commissioners who'll lead the study. Once they're in place, they'll have 18 months to finish the study.

That timeline butts up against the province's self-imposed deadline of getting the ball rolling on the developments.

Developers must make “significant progress on approvals … by the end of 2023” and must make “significant progress” on construction by 2025, according to consultation documents posted when the land swap was announced last November.

Despite those conditions being set out when the policy dropped, last week's scathing auditor general report said the process is lacking.

It's being led by the Provincial Land and Development Facilitator, which is in charge of negotiating timelines and getting developers to pay for the necessary infrastructure improvements to service the areas.

"We found that as of June 2023, the housing ministry and the government have not further defined these expectations so that they can be measured, nor have they established performance indicators to do so," the report found.

The PLDF assured the auditor that progress metrics will be built into the agreements, though no agreements have been reached yet.

The province expects 50,000 homes to be built as a result of its Greenbelt land swap, equivalent to one-third of one per cent of the total of 1.5 million homes that the government wants built in Ontario by 2031.

Last year, the Ford government removed 7,400 acres from the Greenbelt and added 9,400 acres elsewhere.

The development site in the Duffins Rouge Agricultural Preserve is known as Cherrywood, owned by TACC Development. According to the auditor general, it makes up 58 per cent of the land removed from the Greenbelt and that removal is estimated to have increased its land value by $6.63 billion.

In May, Guilbeault also hinted to The Trillium he might not stop with the Rouge Park study.

"The Niagara Escarpment is another area we're looking at right now, trying to see, do we have similar levers as the ones we have for (Rouge Park)?" Guilbeault said.

Insiders say Doug Ford saved staffer blamed in Greenbelt scandal — despite advice to let him go​

Here we go folks... a more detailed thread ... on the whole Doug Ford #GravyPlane story.

We are a bit of a parsimonious culture when it comes to the 'handling' of our heads of government and state. To hear some they should all travel coach or sit on a bus for 3 1/2 hours. I certainly don't know the specific details of this trip, but if it involved public duties, then it rightfully should be on the public dime. If they managed to get some partisan activities in there as well, good planning - they all do it.

The OPP has a fixed wing aircraft to support its mandate, and the Premier's security is part of that. I didn't realize the government got rid of the King Air. It technically wasn't 'the Premier's plane' - it was at the disposal of senior government officials, but if The Centre had issued an edit that it not be used, might as well dump it.

Bill Davis took a fair bit of heat for taking an OPP helicopter to his cottage on a regular basis. I recall Bob Rae said he didn't need a security team. That lasted about two weeks.

Ford stands or falls on his own words, but the reality is it's a big province and he needs security.

Last edited:
We are a bit of a parsimonious culture when it comes to to 'handling' of our heads of government and state. To hear some they should all travel coach or sit on a bus for 3 1/2 hours. I certainly don't know the specific details of this trip, but if it involved public duties, then it rightfully should be on the public dime.

I'm happy to agree to that, though not sure it should be done via the OPP's plane, presumably purchased to perform policing duties.

I'm not sure why the gov't can't just charter an aircraft like anyone else, if there is insufficient travel to justify direct ownership.

If they managed to get some partisan activities in there as well, good planning - they all do it.

Yeah.....about that............'they all do it' is not a good excuse for anything, ever. Its the type of excuse a former police officer would have heard many times, and I suspect it rarely succeeded as a free pass for a speeding ticket or much of anything else.

Bill Davis took a fair bit of heat for taking an OPP helicopter to his cottage on a regular basis.

So he should have. I think his was one of the last Premierships to clearly demonstrate some achievement for the common good.

But if he was excessively self-indulgent along the way, he should have been called out for it.

I recall Bob Rae said he didn't need a security team. That lasted about two weeks.

I'm of mixed views. It would depend on one's living environment (single-family-home, vs condo etc.)

As well as whether one had young children.

The reality is that most politicians do not get, at-the-door harassment, or invasion of privacy; and when it does occur, its rarely a real thread of violence.

But I do get a pol w/young kids wanting to air on the side of caution.

People with more power and more fame than most Ontario premiers walk around Toronto every day without bodyguards.

Ford stands or falls on his own words, but the reality is it's a big province and he needs security.

Possibly, maybe even probably true. Whether than entitles him to use of police-owned aircraft, however, is a different question,.

Convenience is not to confused with security.

I'm of mixed views. It would depend on one's living environment (single-family-home, vs condo etc.)

As well as whether one had young children.

The reality is that most politicians do not get, at-the-door harassment, or invasion of privacy; and when it does occur, its rarely a real thread of violence.

But I do get a pol w/young kids wanting to air on the side of caution.

People with more power and more fame than most Ontario premiers walk around Toronto every day without bodyguards.

On January 1st 2014 I was at the Eaton Centre during the Ice Storm.

I happened to meet Kathleen Wynne there with her security detail walking through the mall near Aritizia.

She was very polite and I thanked her for her governments help during the Ice Storm when it came to assisting Toronto.

in 2013 during Doors Open I ran into Andrea Horwath in the Bay on Queen without any security. I tore into her for her lame duck policies much like anyone else could have.

On January 1st 2014 I was at the Eaton Centre during the Ice Storm.

I happened to meet Kathleen Wynne there with her security detail walking through the mall near Aritizia.

She was very polite and I thanked her for her governments help during the Ice Storm when it came to assisting Toronto.

in 2013 during Doors Open I ran into Andrea Horwath in the Bay on Queen without any security. I tore into her for her lame duck policies much like anyone else could have.

I'm not sure what your point is, other than to suggest you lacked self-restraint.

I think its ok to approach someone you know, only through the media, in public, though I would tend to suggest not doing so, unless you would have cause to approach them (strike up a conversation) if you did not know them.

You seem to be making the case for security, in case Richard is nearby..........

Back