News   Apr 26, 2024
 50     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 134     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 563     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

After Wallace inquires as to why, MacDonald writes to Adamo and Kline, saying the Star wants a reason.

“I would say nothing at all or a scheduling conflict,” Adamo replies.

A response from the director of communications for Health Minister Sylvia Jones regarding an explanation for the Star.

Adamo also instructs the Ontario Health communications team to cancel the remainder of Anderson’s media interviews following a segment on CBC’s “Metro Morning.” No explanation was included in the emails.

That day, Moore also spoke to The Canadian Press, Postmedia and the Globe and Mail.

The emails show that Adamo asks to view the names of the media outlets and reporters to be approached. As well, Adamo tells the communications teams for Ontario Health and the chief medical officer that “We’d also like to see key messages for both Matt and Dr. Moore in advance.”

The three-page document outlining Moore’s speaking points includes messages on the importance of getting a flu shot and COVID booster, staying home if sick, good hand hygiene, wearing a mask in indoor public spaces and creating a mask-friendly environment if you are hosting guests.

The health system was stressed at the time — hit hard by a “triple threat” of COVID, RSV and flu cases, with strains on the pediatric care system and in emergency rooms. Calls for a return to masking had resurfaced the month earlier and Moore himself had urged residents to wear masks in indoor public settings.

Western University’s Smith says some degree of communications co-ordination between the offices of the chief medical officer of health and the minister is to be expected to “avoid unnecessary mixed messaging.”

“However, the line between co-ordination and control can become blurred or easily crossed, the result of which being that public health communications are mediated by political considerations and objectives,” he says. “This can in turn undermine the public’s trust in public health interventions and communications insofar as they’re no longer perceived as being independent from political influence, and hence no longer strictly in the interest of the public’s health.”

Lori Stoltz, a lawyer with expertise in public health law, says the emails raise questions about the independence of the chief medical officer.

“And the reason that’s an important question is that the CMOH under the Ontario legislation holds very important operational powers that are there to be engaged in times of public health emergency,” she says.

“In the context of a public health emergency, it is absolutely essential that the population have confidence that the chief MOH is going to advise the public and advise the minister and exercise those powers or choose not to exercise those powers really free from bureaucratic or political pressure of any kind … It’s not just the actual independence but the perception of independence.”

Josh Greenberg, director of Carleton University’s School of Journalism and Communication, says when bureaucrats engage in the kind of message control highlighted by the emails, it risks shifting the focus from public health to politics.

Greenberg notes there was an observable shift in Moore’s approach to public health advocacy and communication after he moved from his role as the chief medical officer for Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington to Ontario’s chief medical officer of health in 2021.

At the regional job, he was “widely lauded for his openness,” Greenberg says, but as a provincial chief medical officer “his style became very clearly more controlled.”

“This may well reflect the different responsibilities and priorities that these jobs entail.”

Fafard says the chief medical officer’s competing roles can cause confusion, even among public health experts, many of whom believe the chief medical officer’s priority is to advocate for the population’s health.

Recent academic papers by Fafard, including one in which the authors interview former medical officers of health, call on governments to clarify the role.

“Coming out of the pandemic, we need to ask questions about what we learned, and what changes we want to make,” Fafard says. “Because we do want the (CMOH) to be understood by the public as autonomous and independent, but there may be better ways of doing that.”

Doug Ford insiders say she’s a threat — and now Bonnie Crombie is poised to seek the Ontario Liberal leadership

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie is launching an exploratory bid to lead the Ontario Liberals with an eye toward defeating Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives in 2026.​

From link.

bonnie_crombie.jpg

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie is launching an exploratory bid to lead the Ontario Liberals with an eye toward defeating Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives in 2026.

“I’m the only person thinking about putting their name forward who has governing experience and who has gone toe-to-toe with the Ford government — whether it’s over the housing affordability crisis, health care and education or the climate change crisis,” said Crombie.

“I have been meeting and speaking with Liberals across the province and many of them have encouraged me to run,” the three-term mayor told the Star on the eve of making her leadership intentions official Tuesday.

A Crombie candidacy is viewed as an existential threat in Progressive Conservative circles.

“She is a formidable opponent for us,” conceded a senior Tory, who, like other Ford insiders interviewed, spoke confidentially in order to discuss internal deliberations.

“We have six seats in Mississauga and five in Brampton that Bonnie Crombie could put in play,” the official said, mindful of how the Liberals dominated Greater Toronto Area ridings while in power from 2003 until 2018.

Another high-ranking PC insider agreed Crombie — who is also chair of Ontario’s Big City Mayors, which represents urban centres with a population of 100,000 or more — would upend the electoral map for the governing party.

“She’s a 905 mayor and by the next election, we’ll have been in for two terms — and, remember, governments have a tendency to defeat themselves,” the second Tory confided.
Crombie, one of the best-known municipal politicians in Canada, said “it’s very important that the Liberal party be brought back to the centre, which is where our roots are.”

Crombie — a former Liberal MP who was never a part of the governments of former premiers Kathleen Wynne or Dalton McGuinty — said the provincial party “moved too far to the left” in recent years.

“That alienated people who perhaps voted for the Ford government as a result,” the mayor said of the Grits’ chasing of traditional New Democratic Party voters.

“Being a centrist myself — and the way I managed the city — would bring those people back to the centre and give them an alternative,” she said, emphasizing the Grits need to broaden their appeal in both town and country.

“The Liberal party is a party of larger cities and municipalities … (but) we have to have policies that address rural issues as well as urban issues to bring them back into the fold.”

Having badly lost elections to Ford’s Tories in 2018 and again last year, the Grits, who lack enough seats in the legislature for official party status, are looking for a leader to revive them.

So far, Liberal MP Nate Erskine-Smith (Beaches-East York) is the lone confirmed candidate in the Dec. 2 contest, which will be decided using a new one-member, one-vote ranked-ballot system similar to how the Tories elect their leaders.

Others exploring bids are Liberal MP Yasir Naqvi (Ottawa Centre), a former provincial cabinet minister and Ontario Liberal Party president, and MPPs Stephanie Bowman (Don Valley West), Ted Hsu (Kingston and the Islands) and Adil Shamji (Don Valley East).

Candidates must pay a $100,000 entry fee plus a $25,000 refundable deposit.

Crombie said she would remain as mayor before making a final decision to formally enter the race later this year.

Fresh from perhaps her greatest political triumph — convincing Ford to free Mississauga from the shackles of Peel Region — she is riding high.

In fact, some Tories had hoped that significant victory might convince her to remain in municipal politics.

“My exact words to … Mayor Bonnie Crombie, I said, ‘You should be doing cartwheels’ — when I talked to her last night — ‘all the way down Highway 10,’” Ford told reporters Friday in St. Catharines.

Crombie, who won 77.1 per cent of the popular vote in last October’s election by campaigning for an independent Mississauga, was not shy about her willingness to work with a rival to achieve results.

“I convinced him that it was the right thing to do — that the taxpayers were further ahead with smaller, nimble, innovative cities that are more flexible, that could issue permits faster because … there would be less red tape,” she said.

“So I think that that resonated with him.”

But she emphasized the two leaders have many policy differences.

That includes Crombie’s concern with Ford’s various housing bills that could shortchange municipalities billions of dollars in lost development charges.

His penchant for overriding local planning decisions — and the controversial use of minister’s zoning orders in places like Port Credit — is also cause for alarm.

“I have a very direct style that perhaps is the crux of our … relationship. I don’t pull any punches,” Crombie said.

“Sometimes I think the premier sees that as criticism. I see it as very constructive input.”

It’s time to rethink police training. Traditional training with its paramilitary ethos no longer works

Instead of simply eliminating university as a solution to police recruitment problems, Ontario should consider the kind of university education new officers receive.​

From link.

In the summer of 2020, Finnish newspapers reported what was, to the Finns, a disturbing trend: According to a survey conducted by Finland’s Police University College, trust in the police was “slipping.” Only 91 per cent of Finns trusted the police a lot or a fair amount, down from 95 per cent in 2018.

In contrast, Statistics Canada reports that in 2019, only 41 per cent of Canadians had “a great deal” of confidence in the cops, though another 49 per cent of Canadians had “some” confidence. However, members of visible minority groups, people with physical or mental disabilities and victims of crime all expressed much lower levels of confidence.

Canada doesn't fare quite as well as Finland and one reason for is probably the country’s Police University College. Finnish police officers complete a three-year, research-intensive university degree in policing before going on patrol, while most Canadian cops spend only a few months at police college.

That’s something to consider as Ontario recently suggested, in a short-sighted effort to forestall dropping recruitment numbers, that it would no longer pursue a planned post-secondary education mandate as a prerequisite to policing. Certainly, attending university is no guarantee of virtue, but traditional police training, with its paramilitary ethos, is ill suited to preparing officers for the demands of a diverse, knowledge-based society.

That was the conclusion of Nova Scotia’s Mass Casualty Commission, which endorsed the Finnish model, and before it, the report on sexual harassment in the RCMP prepared by former Supreme Court of Canada Justice Michel Bastarache.

Both reports suggest not that a general liberal arts education is necessary, but that police trainees need a university education focused on the realities of policing in the 21st century.

The Mass Casualty Commission examined the circumstances around the April, 2020 shooting rampage in Nova Scotia that left 22 dead. Among its findings was that the standard of police training is “inadequate to equip police for the important work they do and for the increasingly complex social, legal and technological environment in which they work.”

“The shortcomings produced by this approach have a disproportionate adverse impact on those who have historically been underserved by police,” it stated.
That conclusion highlights the reality that in recent decades we have witnessed unprecedented technological advances and consequent computer-based crime, an aging population and rapidly increasing diversity, and a veritable epidemic of mental health and addictions challenges.

To serve and protect Canadians properly, police must be fully capable of functioning in this environment. A specialized university education is therefore essential.

There’s another reason to support this approach: For their own safety, police officers need it, and deserve it. The recent spate of killings of police officers in Canada has driven home the dangers of the job.

If Canadians lack trust in the police, that attitude permeates throughout the culture, thereby compromising the safety of police officers and citizens.

A specialized education, together with careful selection of suitable candidates, is key to changing that. That doesn’t necessarily mean more education, but rather, the right education.
In addition to coping with the enormous societal changes over the last few decades, policing requires a thorough understanding of law, psychology and sociology, an ability to assess a situation in short order with limited information, and an acumen for dealing with difficult individuals in high pressure situations.

Equally important, policing requires people with a thorough understanding of their own psychology, particularly an awareness of their shortcomings, and a willingness to seek help if the demands of the job become too burdensome.

These aren’t qualities that can be developed in a few months. These are qualities fostered by a lengthy, specialized education in which candidates' suitability for a career in policing is continually assessed and their skills honed to match the demands of the job today.

Instead of simply eliminating university as a solution to recruitment problems, then, Ontario ought to consider the kind of university education police receive — and deserve. For their welfare, and for ours.

This looks like a pretty good move from the Ford gov't:

The actual move here is by the Professional Engineers of Ontario; however, it was compelled by new provincial regulations.

From the article:

1684854852960.png

1684854893115.png

1684854918765.png

What say the engineers here at UT?

Ford just got played hard with the whole Peel nonsense.
The bill hasn't been passed to make it official. Nobody knows what the final state of separation actually looks like. I don't see why Ford can't just backtrack or make it difficult for Mississauga as Crombie hightails it to another role so suddenly. I'm having trouble reading between the lines of everyone's endgame here.

The bill hasn't been passed to make it official. Nobody knows what the final state of separation actually looks like. I don't see why Ford can't just backtrack or make it difficult for Mississauga as Crombie hightails it to another role so suddenly. I'm having trouble reading between the lines of everyone's endgame here.

It is a no-win situation for Ford. If he backtracks he runs the risk of pissing off a large swath of the 905 (not to mention denting his credibility) where he currently holds seats. However, if he does not backtrack it plays into Bonnie Crombie's hands and makes her look like the champion here.

As well, if he does nix the idea of dissolving Peel, she can use it as ammo against him in the next election. Not something he likely wants.

It is a no-win situation for Ford. If he backtracks he runs the risk of pissing off a large swath of the 905 (not to mention denting his credibility) where he currently holds seats. However, if he does not backtrack it plays into Bonnie Crombie's hands and makes her look like the champion here.

As well, if he does nix the idea of dissolving Peel, she can use it as ammo against him in the next election. Not something he likely wants.
He should backtrack anyway. Crombie already wants to keep Peel Regional Police. It's a dumb idea.

Well, Bonnie Crombie can claim that she got Mississauga what it always deserved from the province (pun intended) and go onto greener pastures without having to worry what the separation would actually entail (financially especially); the PCs can't back down because what are you going to do, go back on an Act that they chose to name after Hazel herself (the hagiography continues, yuck) - though honestly I think they enjoy putting the municipalities at each other's throats anyways.

AoD

He's already angered Brampton and Caledon, same number of seats as Mississauga who likely will have a bitter taste with Crombie on the Ontario ballot. Ford needs these cities on page to get his highway and greenbelt sprawl through. Public opinion in Mississauga isn't strong for separation with how this is being treated like a political football and the consequences of higher taxes, service impacts. I think backtracking it closer to the status quo and just getting rid of duplication of planning (both Brown/Crombie want) would put Ford in a more favourable position in Peel. Could say he did something to change Peel without paying out Billions or avoiding a lengthy lawsuit between cities.

Back