News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Doug has no issues, his rich friends don’t need affordable daycare, they have nannies. I sincerely hope they remember this bumbling government when they head to the voting booths.
Doug Ford is negotiating with the federal government to include the nannies for the Conservatives.

Paper renewal notices for driver’s licences, licence plate stickers, and health cards in Ontario will soon be a thing of the past.

The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services confirmed that residents with the aforementioned documents that are set to expire on or after March 1, 2022 will no longer be mailed paper renewal notices and will instead receive digital reminders.

“Our government is taking another big step in our digital first approach by shifting away from snail mail to a modern alternative, saving taxpayer dollars and eliminating excess paper waste,” Minister of Government and Consumer Services Ross Romano said in a news release obtained by CTV News Toronto.

Those eligible for the digital reminders can sign up here to receive an email, text, phone call, or combination of the three when their licence plate sticker, driver’s licence or health card is about to expire.

Paper renewal notices for driver’s licences, licence plate stickers, and health cards in Ontario will soon be a thing of the past.

The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services confirmed that residents with the aforementioned documents that are set to expire on or after March 1, 2022 will no longer be mailed paper renewal notices and will instead receive digital reminders.

“Our government is taking another big step in our digital first approach by shifting away from snail mail to a modern alternative, saving taxpayer dollars and eliminating excess paper waste,” Minister of Government and Consumer Services Ross Romano said in a news release obtained by CTV News Toronto.

Those eligible for the digital reminders can sign up here to receive an email, text, phone call, or combination of the three when their licence plate sticker, driver’s licence or health card is about to expire.
If replaced by an app, the apps themselves should give notifications of expiry, in addition to SMS and e-mail notificaitons.

Notifications should be given three months, two months, one month, two week, one week, six days, five days, four days, three days, two days, and one day before expiry. Followed by daily alerts until they are updated or deleted (IE. over 80 years old and not renewing).

(Should get notifications for passports, a year and one month before expiry. Some countries require passports to be valid a year before expiry.)

Not against the idea of providing a digital alternative, but I would not be surprised is some seniors end up falling through the cracks for this one. Shouldn't this be done like bank statements - you can opt in for digital reminders ONLY, but otherwise the default is paper (as anything to do with government should be?)

AoD

Not against the idea of providing a digital alternative, but I would not be surprised is some seniors end up falling through the cracks for this one. Shouldn't this be done like bank statements - you can opt in for digital reminders ONLY, but otherwise the default is paper (as anything to do with government should be?)

AoD
Indeed, or send e-reminders until, say, 30-days before the document expires and then send paper by Canada Post. People do change email addresses, some email gets diverted to spam etc etc. If CP cannot deliver something it is usually returned to sender so 'they' will know they have an old/inaccurate address.

AoD

It was stated on CP24 this morning that anyone over the age of 70 would be exempt from the digital notices. They would still receive a paper copy. This is useful for people like my Grandmother who do not own a smartphone, computer or have an email.

It was stated on CP24 this morning that anyone over the age of 70 would be exempt from the digital notices. They would still receive a paper copy. This is useful for people like my Grandmother who do not own a smartphone, computer or have an email.
While that's good, there are many people younger than 70 who also have no e-skills and many over 70 who do. All the more reason to either let everyone opt-in to e-notices or send only one paper reminder,

While that's good, there are many people younger than 70 who also have no e-skills and many over 70 who do. All the more reason to either let everyone opt-in to e-notices or send only one paper reminder,

Good point. My father has very limited computer skills and he is 55.

He does not know how to use email or a computer.

Ya I think in 2021 it's stupid we box elderly people into the no computer skills category. My father is 82 and retired about 12 years ago, but I remember when his work gave him his first laptop computer to use at home in 1989 (monochrome screen and it weighed something like 15-20 pounds and cost $5,000). He doesn't need help, however many who are younger and did not work in white-collar office jobs through the 90's and early 2000's have had little to zero computer exposure at all, and to this day such an interface is still not intuitive for them.

There's also a new tendency I've seen that is to say those low-income people without computers still have cell phones, so they can get text message reminders, and to some extent that is true; many people without the income to buy a laptop and pay for home internet access have forgone computers and embraced smart phones as a cheaper replacement that requires much less skill to use. However, text messages and emails often get quickly buried, whereas a paper notice you can put on your fridge, or in your wallet, or somewhere you regularly will see it. I can forsee people getting in trouble for forgetting the renewal only to be told "well we sent you a text message 60 days ago," but of course that message wound up buried under the dozens of other notifications that come in every day.

Last edited:
Ya I think in 2021 it's stupid we box elderly people into the no computer skills category. My father is 82 and retired about 12 years ago, but I remember when his work gave him his first laptop computer to use at home in 1989 (monochrome screen and it weighed something like 15-20 pounds and cost $5,000). He doesn't need help, however many who are younger and did not work in white-collar office jobs through the 90's and early 2000's have had little to zero computer exposure at all, and to this day such an interface is still not intuitive for them.

There's also a new tendency I've seen that is to say those low-income people without computers still have cell phones, so they can get text message reminders, and to some extent that is true; many people without the income to buy a laptop and pay for home internet access have forgone computers and embraced smart phones as a cheaper replacement that requires much less skill to use. However, text messages and emails often get quickly buried, whereas a paper notice you can put on your fridge, or in your wallet, or somewhere you regularly will see it. I can forsee people getting in trouble for forgetting the renewal only to be told "well we sent you a text message 60 days ago," but of course that message wound up buried under the dozens of other notifications that come in every day.
Have you seen auto mechanics using computers to diagnose automobile problems? They also use computers for billing. Not just white collar use computers.

From simple...

to complex...

Have you seen auto mechanics using computers to diagnose automobile problems? They also use computers for billing. Not just white collar use computers.

From simple...

to complex...
I have the best of both worlds. The guy who owns my independent shop obviously uses ODB codes but he is also an old-school diagnostic mechanic. Not everything is code-driven.

I am a decent tech user (for my purposes) but for anything to do do with troubleshooting, problematic programs or downloads, etc. I have an IT son-in-law. I just electronically surrender my computer to him. I used to try and watch what he was doing but gave up. He's too fast and goes into files and corners that no mere mortal should venture.

Back