News   Aug 15, 2024
 433     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 397     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 406     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Yet we still have the highest budget in Ontario history.
That's due to the increases in Health and Education funding among others.

D6KXYgaX4AAddu2.jpg:large

Good god, you are the most diligent PC fluffer ever, aren't you? Shall we seal clap for an increase barely larger than inflation? For a shell game only intended to make the draconian Ford cuts look less drastic ahead of a federal election? How many millions have we had to pay out for contract cancellation fees and lawsuits? A good amount of that Health and Education increase is gonna end up going just enacting the massive restructuring required in funding cuts to health and education programs.

Do you ever take off the blue blinders?

D6KXYgaX4AAddu2.jpg:large

How does a government make all the cuts the Ford government is making and spend more than the 'corrupt, spend-happy' Liberal government they're replacing??

Let's not ignore the fact they have no intention of eliminating the deficit in their first term.

The largest budget.........

Health and Education are up 2B combined,( operating, excudes Uni/Coll sector which is down 800M)

By Contrast......

The LIFT Tax Credit is 400M the new Childcare credit has an impact of similar size or a bit larger, depending on how you calculate its impacts, its likely more, but it is 'booked' as 390M

That gets you to 2.8B, interest on the debt is up 800M for 3.6B

Before I get any pushback, the above are booked as tax expenditures, because the gross revenue is still be collected in the first place and then given back on a targeted basis.

So when you factor the above in, and the numbers below, you can see where programs/ministries has to see an absolute cut.

Actual growth in program expenses from 2018-2019 to 2019-2020 is

Or 125M Which is less than 0.1% program expenditure growth.

The rest is interest on the debt.

Total Expenses, including interest on debt, from 2018-2019 to 2019-2020

An increase of 900M and change, the vast majority of that, interest on the debt.

For the record

Inflation in Ontario, in the last calendar year was booked at 1.8%

That alone would be 'status quo' program spending should have been up $2.7B

That, however, forgoes population growth.

I haven't seen full-year estimates yet, but based on trendlines from Q1 2018, that would be a bit over 200,000

That is population growth of roughly 2%, off a base of 14.3M residents.

Tack that number on to the adjusted base, and status-quo spending needed to rise by another 3B.

A total increase of 5.7B in program expenses would be required just to maintain programs as they were.

Ergo, the budget as produced, necessitates roughly 5.55B in (effective) cuts.

Since there were no absolute cuts to non-college education, health and there can't be to interest on the debt.....that means the cuts have to fall on the remaining 35% of the budget.

Keep in mind the cost of the new tax credits in also in there and needs to be offset.

Lets come back to this again and again.

The easy pickings efficiency is to be found in merging the separate and public school systems and in eliminating school boards. (the former already done in Quebec and NFLD and the latter in NB and soon to be Quebec)

That would book 2B, per year, very conservatively.

The remaining 'obvious' cut is the various corporate welfare investments in the ballpark of 800M per year.

After that there is nothing left that is easy or substantive in its size.

Balance is achieved then by raising sales tax and corporate tax to the same level as Quebec, where they are running a budget surplus.

The extra 2 points of HST and 0.5% on large corporations would raise in the vicinity of 8B

That, the cuts I suggest above, and honestly and correctly booking the pension surplus will give you a surplus, this year, of no less than 1.5B gross (likely eaten up in year one by consolidation/buy-out costs)

Given current projected economic growth, it would produce a surplus exceeding 5.5B next year.

Ontario is creating a task force on improving the province's resilience to flooding, following high water levels this spring in several communities.
Premier Doug Ford and Natural Resources Minister John Yakabuski said in a statement that the government will work to better plan for and reduce the impacts of flooding.

"Over the past couple of weeks, we have seen first-hand the devastating effect of flooding on our communities," they said in the statement Friday. "The people of Ontario can't go through this every year. Something needs to change."

The task force announcement comes not long after the Progressive Conservative government cut conservation authorities' funding for flood management. Ontario had given $7.4 million to the conservation authorities for flood work, but that money was reduced in last month's PC budget by 50 per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ford-government-flooding-response-1.5131465

Last edited:
eHealth? Wasn’t that the Smitherman’s debacle to move our medical records from paper and fax to the cloud? But every doctor I see now still has everything on paper.

We certainly still have to deal with outside faxes, but my office uses the TELUS EHR software. I take notes on paper because it’s how I work, but the actual records are 100% electronic (allowing for scanned stuff of course).

What really gets me are TV shows where people are still looking at plain film X-rays (ahem, Grey’s Anatomy) or better yet plan film CTs or MRIs. They’re stuck in 1991...

Charlie Angus NDP
@CharlieAngusNDP
The minister of incel went from calling the cops on seniors who were promoting libraries to announcing that he wants to be the arbiter of what women do with their bodies.
He's never even stepped foot in a public school yard.
Kinda creepy?
Mega creepy.

I don't usually agree with Charlie, but calling Sam the minister of incel is hilarious!

You mean hilariously lame?

And inappropriate. I love how overly sensitive the Left are about tolerance and acceptance yet here are blatantly crossing a line. If a Conservative had said this about a Lib or a Dipper, it'd be in the news cycle for weeks and disciplinary action called for.

He isn't a hill to die on in the name of conservative values. I mean, he called the cops on some old ladies and thinks that The Handmaid's Tale is a good concept. At least Doug poured cold water on his aspirations to regulate women's bodies.

He isn't a hill to die on in the name of conservative values. I mean, he called the cops on some old ladies and thinks that The Handmaid's Tale is a good concept. At least Doug poured cold water on his aspirations to regulate women's bodies.

When Doug Ford gives you the once over....and mutters to himself 'unsophisticated rube;' You may have a problem.

And inappropriate. I love how overly sensitive the Left are about tolerance and acceptance yet here are blatantly crossing a line. If a Conservative had said this about a Lib or a Dipper, it'd be in the news cycle for weeks and disciplinary action called for.

Where is the 'sensitivity'? Sam and his office not for the first time, or even the first time this week, behaved like a complete ass.

As a result, he got called out.

You may disagree w/the characterization.............and I can't testify whether there is a woman (or man) willing to have sex w/Sam. I would rather hope not. But I will leave others tastes to others.

But its an insult, and given that he certainly merited one...........it was a little more original that just 'stupid'; a bit more printable than mo$#%fu@#$r..........just laugh or don't. Don't get all snowflake about it. :D

In all fairness, Sam is engaged and will soon be able to make a women submit to his needs. I just know that if I lived in that riding, I wouldn't want him as my MPP. He lacks so much necessary life experience and is collecting a very generous salary.

Back