News   Oct 18, 2024
 3K     9 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 368     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 1.1K     5 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Invoked is not enacted, as in declared after a constitutional challenge. The NWC has invoked several times.
I couldn't find the proposed Bill online so I was assume it hasn't been tabled yet. Once the Bill is passed it becomes law, which it surely will given the majority government. It seems that some parties opposed are already planning to argue the law under Sec. 3 (Democratic Rights), which is outside of the scope of Sec. 33 (NWC).

I must say I had not heard that alcohol sellers will have to collect empties but it seems like a fair idea to me - if it applies to everyone. From: https://www.thestar.com/business/op...cle_3fab9ea0-8587-11ef-8bb0-531da113758b.html

Opinion | Ford government must rethink plan to force independent grocery stores to accept empty alcohol containers​

I manage a Condo in East York with a Beer Store attached so perhaps I can give some first hand opinions here.

There is a woman who attends this particular beer store daily with multiple carts full of bottles to return. She has a whole setup with a shopping cart, bungee cords, an apron and gloves.

The problem is that some people treat bottle returns as an income source. I don't think it would serve anyone to have sketchy characters with carts full of bottles clogging up customer service and/or causing other issues.

Years ago, there was a woman at Warden Station who would dig through the bins at various stations collecting cans and bottles. She would regularly get on the 17 Birchmount with garbage bags full of stinky and leaky cans.

There needs to be dedicated locations for bottle return that won't cause problems via people returning over 100 bottles at a time.

I must say I had not heard that alcohol sellers will have to collect empties but it seems like a fair idea to me - if it applies to everyone. From: https://www.thestar.com/business/op...cle_3fab9ea0-8587-11ef-8bb0-531da113758b.html

Opinion | Ford government must rethink plan to force independent grocery stores to accept empty alcohol containers​

Small retailers will be exempt.

I believe they are drawing the line at 10,000ft2, but don't hold me to that.

They're also exempting independents for the first year, I think.

This is common in much of the country, so all the squawking, the large chains all have experience w/this in other provinces.

That said, I don't think its a productive exercise. If they were collecting them for re-use, that would be different, but just to chuck them in the blue bin, which everyone can do at home..........doesn't strike me as worthwhile. We also haven't increased deposits in years, the .10c per beer was the number 30 years ago.....while wine has been .20c for a decade or more.

I think you'd need to double it to get a participation rate that's really useful.

If we really want to make recycling pay, we should install the machines they have in many European countries where you return them to a vending machine of sorts, and it crushes/compacts the material for later pickup, and you typically either get a value receipt, or you get money transferred to a debit or credit card. Though some still dispense cash.

Easy solution - all grocery stores of a retail square footage of above X square feet must accept empty containers. Germany did it - no reason why we can't - and over there the rebate from returns (Pfand) is issued as a receipt that the recipient can then use for groceries in-store - in essence serving as an incentive.

AoD

Back