News   May 14, 2024
 915     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 481     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 537     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I'm no expert, but I believe the Province could legislate their way around this, no?
No doubt the Province could pass legislation to take over the OSC land but that would definitely expend 'political capital', mean far more scrutiny and take longer. Not really in line with the "Ford-Way" of move fast and share the proceeds with developer friends.

Ontario Creating Urban Provincial Park in Uxbridge

Planning underway to build Ontario’s first urban provincial park in the trail capital of Canada

From link.

The Ontario government is protecting southern Ontario’s green spaces by creating the province’s first urban provincial park in the Township of Uxbridge. This proposed park in the Oak Ridges Moraine would provide opportunities for people and families to enjoy the area’s natural beauty, including hiking and birdwatching, while strengthening the long-term protection and health of local wildlife. Areas regulated as provincial parks can also contribute to scientific research and environmental monitoring.

“I’m thrilled to be making today’s announcement on Earth Day,” said David Piccini, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. “Creating the province’s first urban provincial park in Uxbridge would be a major step forward for conservation and biodiversity protection in Ontario. We look forward to working with the public and local stakeholders to make this vision a reality for residents and visitors to get out and enjoy nature near this rapidly growing region.”

“Opening a new provincial park in Uxbridge would give families and people in the community new ways to enjoy the great outdoors all year around,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and Member of Provincial Parliament for Pickering—Uxbridge. “A strong Ontario includes a strong provincial park system, made up of the most beautiful and scenic parts of the province, that will be enjoyed for many generations to come.”

First announced in the 2023 budget, the proposed urban park may include up to 532 hectares (1,315 acres) of provincially owned lands. That is 50 per cent larger than New York’s Central Park. The province is also working with the Township of Uxbridge, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, Nature Conservancy of Canada, Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority, The Schad Foundation, the Regional Municipality of Durham and Green Durham Association, to identify the full recreational and protection potential of an urban provincial park in this area. The study area may include the Durham Regional Forest, a 598 hectare (1,477 acres) mixed wood and conifer forest area, owned by the Region of Durham, and a possible 120 hectares (300 acres) from the Township of Uxbridge.
Over the coming months, the government will be conducting site assessments and evaluations to measure the feasibility of creating an urban provincial park in Uxbridge. These assessments will involve consultation with Indigenous communities, the public, local stakeholders, partners and environmental organizations, to help inform the government's final decision.

By exploring the creation of Ontario’s first urban provincial park, the government is making progress on its commitments to ensure access to recreational opportunities for families to enjoy, while boosting local tourism and strengthening the protection and health of local wildlife and the environment.

The Ontario government’s 2023 budget: Building a Strong Ontario, is helping to drive economic growth, attract jobs and investments, and build key infrastructure projects faster. The government’s plan is also training skilled workers to fill in-demand jobs, keeping costs down for those who need it the most, and providing better services for the people of Ontario.

Quick Facts​

• Today's announcement is made in celebration of Earth Day, as the government works with partners and conservation leaders to protect more natural, healthy spaces and conserve Ontario's biodiversity for generations to come.
  • In 2022, Ontario and conservation partners protected over 390,000 acres of green spaces across the province.
  • The government’s intent to explore the creation of this new protected area in Uxbridge was first referenced in the 2023 Ontario budget: Building a Strong Ontario. The government is also creating Ontario’s first new operating provincial park in 40 years. The location of the new operating park will be announced this spring.
  • Uxbridge is nicknamed the 'Trail Capital of Canada,' featuring over 220 kilometres of managed trails that wind through forest, wetlands, meadows and historic villages.
  • The provincially owned properties included in this proposal includes the filming location of the internationally acclaimed series Road to Avonlea, based on the works of Lucy Maud Montgomery.
  • Provincial parks and conservation reserves under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserve Act protect representative ecosystems, biodiversity and provincially significant elements of Ontario’s natural and cultural heritage, facilitate research and monitoring and provide opportunities for ecologically sustainable outdoor recreation for visitors.
  • Visitation to Ontario’s provincial parks has grown steadily in the last decade, reaching over 12 million visits in 2022.
  • Ontario manages and protects 340 provincial parks (115 operating parks and 225 non-operating parks) and 295 conservation reserves representing over eight per cent of the province’s land and waters.

Ontario Creating Urban Provincial Park in Uxbridge

Planning underway to build Ontario’s first urban provincial park in the trail capital of Canada

From link.

Beat me to it, by just a minute! LOL.

But my commentary below:

Well, the Ford gov't got what sounds like a pretty good announcement out the door today; a new 'urban' provincial park near Uxbridge that could be, potentially, as large as 3,000 acres.

The province controls roughly 1,300acres here, but is also in discussions to include 300acres owned by the town of Uxbridge and another nearly 1,500 acres that are currently part of the Durham Regional Forest.

There are multiple key issues here TBD, the exact boundaries and size, as well as whether the park will include camping.

Still, if all of the above lands are included, that would be a real positive from a government thus far more dedicated to sprawl that environmental protection.

Thus far, we lack a clear sense of the boundaries, here, I looked up the Crown land index and there is a sizable holding over towards Port Perry, but I don't think that's what's at play. I assume its land somewhere contiguous to the DRF parcel and the TRCA parcels at Walker's Woods and Glen Major:

1682187671694.png

Last edited:
Beat me to it, by just a minute! LOL.

But my commentary below:

Well, the Ford gov't got what sounds like a pretty good announcement out the door today; a new 'urban' provincial park near Uxbridge that could be, potentially, as large as 3,000 acres.

The province controls roughly 1,300acres here, but is also in discussions to include 300acres owned by the town of Uxbridge and another nearly 1,500 acres that are currently part of the Durham Regional Forest.

There are multiple key issues here TBD, the exact boundaries and size, as well as whether the park will include camping.

Still, if all of the above lands are included, that would be a real positive from a government thus far more dedicated to sprawl that environmental protection.

Thus far, we lack a clear sense of the boundaries, here, I looked up the Crown land index and there is a sizable holding over towards Port Perry, but I don't think that's what's at play. I assume its land somewhere contiguous to the DRF parcel and the TRCA parcels at Walker's Woods and Glen Major:

View attachment 471280
External shots in the Road To Avonlea series were shot around Durham Rd. 21 and Uxbridge Conc. 7 (which would explain to curious residents at the time why there was a lighthouse there). I don't recall if there were other shooting locations in the area.

Calling it an "urban" park is a bit of a stretch, but a win nonetheless. I will assume that it will be day use only with no camping facilities.

.Tesla is looking less for financial inducements and more for speed to develop. The capex for new plants is not a substantial barrier for their growth. They are getting 18-24 month paybacks on new capacity, largely due to their very strong margins.
I would take any long-term plans for Tesla with a grain of salt. Sales keep falling short of estimates, and they’ll have a hard time not succumbing to the pattern that seems to happen to most companies that disrupt or create new markets; falling by the wayside when those with bigger pockets and better logistical and manufacturing experience come along.

Tesla’s already started slashing prices in markets in an attempt to reverse this ongoing drop in sales, but I have a feeling it’s not going to help and only hasten the shrinking of their bank accounts. It’s not a good sign when sales are dropping off in a growing market that you yourself pretty much created.

Investors too are starting to take note, and stocks are taking a hit. Elon’s personality can at this point can only add accelerant to what appears to be a burnout, especially when he claims he’s now aiming for “growth over profit”. shareholders watching his handling of Twitter should take note of what happens when things start to sour.

So yeah, I’d be wary of Tesla being able to reach Elon’s grandiose plans of “many many more” factories in the long run.

If the grounds that the current Ontario Science Centre have a lease that specifies that only educational science use, we may consider it to be a good location for an astronomy and space museum. The current "Space Hall" at the OSC should stay. The Earth and Space exhibits at the ROM could also be moved to Eglinton & Don Mills, allowed for more exhibit space at the ROM.

Along with a new and bigger planetarium, since the McLaughlin Planetarium (which was next door to the ROM) was closed by Doug Ford's mentor, Mike Harris. The OSC's planetarium is also already closed.

If the grounds that the current Ontario Science Centre have a lease that specifies that only educational science use, we may consider it to be a good location for an astronomy and space museum. The current "Space Hall" at the OSC should stay. The Earth and Space exhibits at the ROM could also be moved to Eglinton & Don Mills, allowed for more exhibit space at the ROM.

Along with a new and bigger planetarium, since the McLaughlin Planetarium (which was next door to the ROM) was closed by Doug Ford's mentor, Mike Harris. The OSC's planetarium is also already closed.
A planetarium would be cool, especially with the upcoming Artemis missions and Canada's
involvement!

Great announcement about the provincial park - one of the very few from this Government that I can get behind.
While I also like this idea, I do not trust Mr Ford one iota so suggest we keep our eyes open for something else going on - conjurers tend to work their magic by distracting us!

I would take any long-term plans for Tesla with a grain of salt. Sales keep falling short of estimates, and they’ll have a hard time not succumbing to the pattern that seems to happen to most companies that disrupt or create new markets; falling by the wayside when those with bigger pockets and better logistical and manufacturing experience come along.

Tesla’s already started slashing prices in markets in an attempt to reverse this ongoing drop in sales, but I have a feeling it’s not going to help and only hasten the shrinking of their bank accounts. It’s not a good sign when sales are dropping off in a growing market that you yourself pretty much created.

Investors too are starting to take note, and stocks are taking a hit. Elon’s personality can at this point can only add accelerant to what appears to be a burnout, especially when he claims he’s now aiming for “growth over profit”. shareholders watching his handling of Twitter should take note of what happens when things start to sour.

So yeah, I’d be wary of Tesla being able to reach Elon’s grandiose plans of “many many more” factories in the long run.
I think this is a wildly inaccurate characterization of what is happening:
  • Tesla does not have shrinking sales. They are the only western auto maker significantly growing unit volume. They now have greater market share in the US than VW, and Model Y is the top selling vehicle in the US and Europe. There is not an 'EV' market. There is a car market, and Tesla is executing as planned to take a huge part of that market.
  • Tesla does not have 'shrinking bank accounts'. They have a strong balance sheet, and very high margins by industry standards.
I get that antipathy toward Musk leads a lot of people interpret the facts to provide some succor that he will get some comeuppance. I agree that he has been acting like a twit, particularly since the Twitter acquisition saga. Nonetheless, Tesla is bigger than him and they have had better execution than their competitors. Many of their competitors openly admit that Tesla is very well positioned and has a technological edge.

I think this is a wildly inaccurate characterization of what is happening:
  • Tesla does not have shrinking sales. They are the only western auto maker significantly growing unit volume. They now have greater market share in the US than VW, and Model Y is the top selling vehicle in the US and Europe. There is not an 'EV' market. There is a car market, and Tesla is executing as planned to take a huge part of that market.
  • Tesla does not have 'shrinking bank accounts'. They have a strong balance sheet, and very high margins by industry standards.
I get that antipathy toward Musk leads a lot of people interpret the facts to provide some succor that he will get some comeuppance. I agree that he has been acting like a twit, particularly since the Twitter acquisition saga. Nonetheless, Tesla is bigger than him and they have had better execution than their competitors. Many of their competitors openly admit that Tesla is very well positioned and has a technological edge.
Not by sale volume it seems:
(table about halfway down)

And Statista says the Model Y was # 4 in 2022.

Not by sale volume it seems:
(table about halfway down)

And Statista says the Model Y was # 4 in 2022.

How does it compare over the past few years? GM and Ford were recovering from their severe supply chain shortages in 21/22. ICE vehicle product has been flat to down for several years now. The collapse is going to accelerate in the next few years.

EVs trending positively, for sure, aided by mandatory targets in many countries. I'm not sure the ICE "collapse" is as imminent as many believe. One thing Tesla is going have to ramp up is their dealer network. There are only 20 in all of Canada, 40% of those being in the GTA. EVs might need less regular maintenance but they still need some, and most indy shops won't touch them because they have no documentation on them or ready access to a parts stream.

While I also like this idea, I do not trust Mr Ford one iota so suggest we keep our eyes open for something else going on - conjurers tend to work their magic by distracting us!
True, if there is one Government that can somehow corrupt the creation of a new Provincial Park - it is certainly this one.

Back