News   Jul 16, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 388     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

And yet electricity costs have gone up under Doug have they not? But of course it's all Wynne's fault somehow.
AIUI, residentIan electricity bills have increased as the government brings the costs that were previously hidden into the light. But I have to say my own electricity bill is down from last year due to reduced usage. Our TVs are LEDs, our lightbulbs are now LEDs and our appliances are new energy safer models.

A campaign promise... ?

When time-of-use electricity pricing switches over to winter hours on Nov. 1, 2019, prices rise dramatically. Customers will pay peak prices for their electricity between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. also 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays.

The price of peak power will be 20.8 cents/kWh — up from 13.4 cents/kWh — a startling jump because the government’s electricity rebate will now be reflected on another part of the bill.

Earlier this year, Rickford said hydro increases would be held to the rate of inflation, but the Ford government campaigned in 2018 on a pledge to lower hydro bills by 12%.

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/hydro-bills-going-up-despite-ford-election-promise

Last edited:
A campaign promise... ?

When time-of-use electricity pricing switches over to winter hours on Nov. 1, 2019, prices rise dramatically. Customers will pay peak prices for their electricity between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. also 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays.

The price of peak power will be 20.8 cents/kWh — up from 13.4 cents/kWh — a startling jump because the government’s electricity rebate will now be reflected on another part of the bill.

Earlier this year, Rickford said hydro increases would be held to the rate of inflation, but the Ford government campaigned in 2018 on a pledge to lower hydro bills by 12%.

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/hydro-bills-going-up-despite-ford-election-promise
i've never bothered with the peak pricing. I just cook and clean whenever I want.

Really the issue w/the 12% reduction promise is less in its value or wisdom than in the honesty or dishonesty of those who made it.

If they've come by an honest change of heart on the issue............giving them the benefit of the doubt......they still ought to have the decency to own that and admit the promise is dead and they broke it and explain why.

I've come to the conclusion that bills and pricing have reached a point where curtailing increases and simplify pricing make sense.

But I very much dislike the subsidy way of dealing w/the price.

I think a more intelligent way would to be nationalize OPG/Hydro One debts down to zero, let them pass on the savings; but then direct the money now in the rebate to financing the debt; and raising additional tax as required.

All that said, such action would be for nought if we didn't rationalize ongoing expenditures on electricity production, notably the obscene investment in the Darlington rebuild, replacing that with a mixture of cheaper electricity from Quebec and more effective conservation programs.

We rent, so our electricity and other things are covered. However, the rent did go up, so it could be because of the hike in rates.

We rent, so our electricity and other things are covered. However, the rent did go up, so it could be because of the hike in rates.

Many apartments are changing to sub-metering of electricity, where the tenants are responsible for their own electricity use. Might be included in the renovations.

See link.

Yes.

My hydro bill IS less than it was last year. IDK if it’s because our consumption is down or if we‘re more off peak. But it’s fine either way. As for Ford’s promise, I have no idea. I was never going to vote for him, so I never paid heed to his hydro promises.

It's all about STEM. I'd like to see more of a focus in Technology, Engineering, Medicine, etc....that is the future.

i've never bothered with the peak pricing. I just cook and clean whenever I want.
Based on your general grumpiness as evidenced around here, I suspect you then go on about how large your hydro bills are. There are activities (laundry and dish-washing for example) that one really can and should schedule in the low rate periods and one needs to remember that the whole idea of time-of-use-pricing is to try to encourage people to spread the load throughout the day so that the government (i.e. the taxpayers) do not have to build additional generating stations.

Doug Ford’s simplistic solution to declining math scores won’t work

From link.

...It’s unfortunate that the Ford PCs have already set this up as a simplistic battle — like sex education — between new and old. In that view, the new math curriculum introduced by the Liberals is bad and the old-fashioned way of doing things was good.

The idea that simply returning to an early era of teaching math though rote learning — memorizing and repeated practising — will suddenly turn Ontario students into math leaders is hogwash. If math education used to be so great, why do so many parents feel they don’t understand math well enough to help their elementary-school kids with their homework?...

Albert Einstein at School

From link.

What were Einstein’s views regarding rote learning? Why is mere rote learning useless?

As a student in Munich, Einstein was different from the other boys of his age. He was unable to cope with conventional system of education which says a lot of emphasis on learning by rote. He believed that there was no point in memorizing facts. Facts, he felt, could easily be looked up in books. Rote learning only helps in scoring but on the other hand, the student stops thinking and exploring. Students take to learning what others have learnt but creativity and inventions are disabled.

Back