360     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 559     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

"Ontario is open for business." Doug Ford, September 2018

Layofffs at Fiat Chrysler plant will affect 1,500 jobs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/fca-assembly-plant-windsor-layoff-1.5075834

Now he wants to change license plates in his image.

FFS, this sorta branding nonsense doesn't work.

In point of fact, it almost certainly irks more people than it pleases, never mind attracting a single investment dollar.

In fairness, I should add, I don't think the existing slogan does anything for the province either.

Branding exercises are combination of policy/product choices with some nod to optics; then getting that message out there in a positive, memorable way to your key audience/demo.

This is about Advertising, product placement, a spectacular, interactive web presence and on rare occasion a good speech to the right audience.

It is never about license plate slogans.

Then again, "Yours To Discover" (and, for that matter, "A Place To Stand", though that came pre-licence plate slogans) were branding exercises. But, more compelling than "Open For Business".

DoFo's decision-making is like that of a mediocre high school athlete who qualifies for the finals after beating up all the students ahead of him.

But as per my point, it ain't the marketing exercise, it's the way that you do it. And it's a long downhill slope from this to "Ontario News Now".

The license plate change has been the most unnecessary government change of historical symbols since Trudeau changed the lyrics of O Canada.

This is respect for taxpayers?

Spending public money on political ads and changing license plate slogans?

I don't necessarily see an issue with a government using taxpayer dollars to spread a message, but this is exactly the kind of "Gravy Train" spending the Fords have complained about for years.

"Open for Business" is for commercial vehicles. Non-commercial vehicles will sport another slogan which has yet to be revealed.

Back