News   Jun 26, 2024
 840     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 730     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 666     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

With this decision coming tomorrow, if they decide to leave it at 47, will Ford then invoke the notwithstanding clause? Or is it over after the decision?

I'll drink my buck-a-beer, you toke your Trudeau weed.

I'll stick to my C12H17N2O4P, thank you very much. That buck-a-beer seems to be bad for the mind. As for weed, I never touch the stuff.

This isn't new or unique to Toronto or even Ontario. Conservatives the world over are under attack and we're repeatedly browbeated for our political choices and made to feel ridiculed and belittled for daring not to be politically "correct" - whatever that means.

I'm not very politically correct and I don't feel like I get ridiculed or belittled for talking my version of smack. Why the victim syndrome?

"The world over"? What? Bruv, currently a good portion of the world is run by crotchety conservatives. Some of whom are entirely worthy of any and all ridicule that may come their way.

Lots of people, of all types, are worthy of ridicule. Especially those in positions of influence or power. A laugh a day keeps the doctor the hell away.

With this decision coming tomorrow, if they decide to leave it at 47, will Ford then invoke the notwithstanding clause? Or is it over after the decision?
The NWC is not supposed to be retroactive, which is how he used it. A bill isn’t supposed to be introduced twice, which he virtually did. Along with all of the other reasons, I am hopeful that tomorrow ‘s decision will not support this ramming through of a bill that was put together in haste and passed in haste.

Last edited:
After nearly 15 years of not winning seats in Toronto, the PC's seem to want that to happen again. Going after municipal governments across the province is a bad idea. When I was up in Innisfil this weekend, they had signs everywhere. How would those candidates feel if Doug decided that positions were being cut?

The Harris Tories lost significant ground in Toronto in 1999, but still dominated in 905 and won a majority provincewide. Perhaps they're thinking they can repeat the same?

The NWC is not supposed to be retroactive, which is how he used it. A bill isn’t supposed to be introduced twice, which he virtually did. Along with all of the other reasons, I am hopeful that tomorrow ‘s decision will not support this rArming through of a bill that was put together in haste and passed in haste.

and the NWC is not supposed to be used in a trivial manner but the issue is Section 33 does not have such rules set in stone attached to it.

The Ontario Liberals mostly got pushed aside due to bad governance and unlikeable leaders in charge, The Federal Liberals went into the wilderness for a bit due to bad leaders in elections, that is a key difference.

The issue is that the new leader of the Ontario Liberal cant really brings up the legacy of the great leaders like Dalton and Wynne who left power being very unpopular and I doubt they will be well admired. Like Dalton left office a while ago and no one gives a crap about him lol.

Trudeau while bringing in young voters, his last name really brought up his connections to rather well-liked past federal Liberal Leaders like Trudeau Sr and Chretien and that played really well (old Loyalties).

Also, Trudeau brought in a lot of Star Power to the liberals and I have a strong feeling the federal Liberals will find themselves out of office when he is gone in the future.

SO I have quite a lot of doubt that the Ontario Liberals can pull off a Trudeau.

However, notice in a subsequent post that I wasn't necessarily suggesting the Ontario Libs would immediately vault back into power--or at least, majority power.

Also, re those who suggest that Ford will be reelected in 2022: to reiterate, there's no guarantee that Ford will even last as leader until 2022. (Indeed, it could be a Ford-free PC party that has a better chance of being reelected vs indifferent/unready opposition.)

From this link:

Chatham-Kent has a population of 101,647, yet they have 17 City Councillors! Will you be cutting the number of councillors there also Doug?
DnVs2HXXgAE_97d.jpg

LOL

A dozen wards?

I guess Toronto needs only 3 or 4 councilors then.

For smaller cities, a single Mayor should be able to handle the job on their own.

It's early days in the mandate - we shouldn't dismiss this as a possibility. He could try to massage his '$6B' in savings by gutting other governments' budgets, both their tax-based expenditures as well as funding from the province. Using the math he is imposing on Toronto, many municipalities would end up with one part-timer.

The NWC is not supposed to be retroactive, which is how he used it. A bill isn’t supposed to be introduced twice, which he virtually did. Along with all of the other reasons, I am hopeful that tomorrow ‘s decision will not support this ramming through of a bill that was put together in haste and passed in haste.

They are also not supposed to debate a matter that is before the court, but those are standing orders of the legislature and too easily changed. That assumes the Speaker will rule against them, which is not an assured thing.

and the NWC is not supposed to be used in a trivial manner but the issue is Section 33 does not have such rules set in stone attached to it.

And that is an unfortunate lapse by the authors of the Constitution. It was a sop to get some provinces on board. I suppose they assumed federal and provincial powers would only be used by adults. The 'not retroactive' provision is a SCOC ruling.

They are also not supposed to debate a matter that is before the court, but those are standing orders of the legislature and too easily changed. That assumes the Speaker will rule against them, which is not an assured thing...

The Speaker, Ted Arnott, is the Progressive Conservative MPP for Wellington-Halton Hills. Don't know how "independent" Ted is with Doug.

The Speaker, Ted Arnott, is the Progressive Conservative MPP for Wellington-Halton Hills. Don't know how "independent" Ted is with Doug.

The Speaker is typically from the government side. S/he is supposed to exercise the office impartially, and the legislature is supposed to allow and respect the role. We shall see.

Back