News   Jul 16, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 512     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 635     2 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Just checked out the throne speech and man is it bunk.

They're going for selling wine and beer in all shops! Why can't we get some non-toxic goodies in shops, like lysergics or psylocibe cubensis, dried by the oz?

It's going to be where you can buy the most addictive and toxic shit on any corner and kids will still be getting arrested for trying to have some harmless fun with good drugs. Ok, fine, forget harmless fun. How about they'll still be pushing benzos (which work primarily with the same neurotransmitter as alcohol--GABA, the brain's primary inhibitory network) which are addictive and can cause excitoxic stress in the brain instead of using safer myco-anxiolytics, for example.
What a wash.

Government against the people.

Nicotine and alcohol on all corners; make it hard to buy ganja, push opioids instead.
That's government against the people.
Don't worry, have another drink, your body will thank you...or hate you, whatever, I'm about as much a biochemist as the folks who bring you these ass-backward rules.

I 'like' this post, in so far as I think 'recreational substances' should be governed by evidence-based policy.

I also take a permissive tone, which is to say, if you're an adult, or somebody that could pass for one, LOL, I think your body is your own, as long as you injest, whatever, in a manner that minimizes the risk of harm to others, its not my place to tell you what to consume, and not the governments either.

That said, I don't object at all to wider sales of alcohol, in so far its a legal product, and I thoroughly enjoy a good glass of Chianti, I don't see the sense in arbitrarily limiting time and place of access just enough to be a nuisance without otherwise changing a thing.

Now, I wouldn't mind if there were a few requirements to help people who wanted to consume moderately, or less.

Such as requiring the seller of wine or beer to offer some non-alcoholic versions; and to market a at least a few lower-alcohol versions (beer at 4%, wine at 10% etc)

I also think modest portions being on offer, such as 375ml or 500ml bottles of wine, for those who need help w/portion control makes sense.

While I agree other substances might be less unhealthy, I'm realistic that it will take some time before we see those legal, regulated and available.

But 15 years ago, no one thought pot legalization was on the horizon, or serious discussions of decriminalizing drug possession across the board, but we're here.

Maybe in 20 more years we can finish the rest of the adult conversation.

No sure if I understand, but are the payouts to Schmidt all related to shares and pension service that he had accumulated before he retired?

Looks like he had a stock option - so he got his package pay in stock options = Just what the article said
"Thanks to his stock options, the ousted head of Hydro One will walk away with close to the $10.7 million he would have received in severance — far more than a $400,000 retirement payout Premier Doug Ford touted as a victory for ratepayers." How's that finding "efficiencies?" Yup.... efficiently not mentioning the stock option payout - saving us millions in not worth mentioning.

Looks like he had a stock option - so he got his package pay in stock options = Just what the article said
"Thanks to his stock options, the ousted head of Hydro One will walk away with close to the $10.7 million he would have received in severance — far more than a $400,000 retirement payout Premier Doug Ford touted as a victory for ratepayers." How's that finding "efficiencies?" Yup.... efficiently not mentioning the stock option payout - saving us millions in not worth mentioning.
Still can't tell if he would have gotten the stock options (value $9M) no matter what - since he already "earned" those.
Is the $10.7M severance a completely different animal that he did not get by retiring?

The only clue is the statement "If Schmidt resigned or was fired, his stock awards would not be as generous."
What does this mean - if he was fired, would the stock options have been $1, or would it have been $8.999M?
Since the article doesn't mention this, I don't know the answer to the key question.

Still can't tell if he would have gotten the stock options (value $9M) no matter what - since he already "earned" those.
Is the $10.7M severance a completely different animal that he did not get by retiring?

The only clue is the statement "If Schmidt resigned or was fired, his stock awards would not be as generous."
What does this mean - if he was fired, would the stock options have been $1, or would it have been $8.999M?
Since the article doesn't mention this, I don't know the answer to the key question.

Then perhaps you should read it in the Toronto Sun and Joe Warmington will do the Ford-splaining for you.

From the Globe article:

The compensation for CEO Mayo Schmidt is in addition to the $400,000 payment in lieu of postretirement benefits and allowances that Hydro One announced on Wednesday. While Mr. Schmidt will not receive any of the termination payments in his employment agreement, retiring allows him to keep lucrative stock awards he has received during his tenure as CEO. (Stock awards are shares given to an executive as part of his total compensation.) Had he resigned, he would have forfeited them.

Not rocket science.

AoD

From the Globe article:

Not rocket science.

AoD
Globe article is behind paywall.

So Schmidt had accumulated the $9M in stock credits.

If he would have retired anytime in the next 20 years, he would have received them - plus likely accumulated more going forward.

I 'like' this post, in so far as I think 'recreational substances' should be governed by evidence-based policy.

That's right! Should, could, aren't. When we're ruled by misinformed peoples' moral panics everyone suffers.
I wouldn't call them "recreational substances" though.
Let's call them what they are, which is to say psychotropic substances. They can be used for a lot more than kicking back and having a laugh. There are valid medical uses for all sorts of psychotropics, many of which are currently used and many of which are not because......well, don't ask me, I don't have a clue. Apparently because of "abuse potential".

Ahem.....yeah....I know, ridiculous when you consider the legality of seriously abuse potentiating drugs such as benzodiazepines, ethanol, and nicotine (by the way, nicotine is by some measures the most addictive psychotropic known to science).
Never mind that the abuse potential of many illegal psychotropics is less than half of some of the legal ones. This fact alone is a great place to start when discussing the absurdity of drugs laws in this country.

I also take a permissive tone, which is to say, if you're an adult, or somebody that could pass for one, LOL, I think your body is your own, as long as you injest, whatever, in a manner that minimizes the risk of harm to others, its not my place to tell you what to consume, and not the governments either.

This too. Isn't this a requirement in our Charter for sovereignty over oneself? Wasn't that the logic behind striking down anti-abortion laws, for example?

That said, I don't object at all to wider sales of alcohol, in so far its a legal product, and I thoroughly enjoy a good glass of Chianti, I don't see the sense in arbitrarily limiting time and place of access just enough to be a nuisance without otherwise changing a thing.

I don't object to the wider availability of alcohol either. Believe me, I'm a football sort-of hoolie and a semi-retired raver...I know about having a drink and I smoke. I just like to point out the absurdity of our drugs laws and make people question their misinformed assumptions in regards to drugs, because damn are they legion and wrong as hell.
For example, when I was younger, I was told regularly that one dose of insufflated cocaine was enough to get one addicted. LOL! Wow, is that ever a crock of shit. Most people will do it a few times and realise it's a waste of time and money.
Or how about the old frying eggs "this is your brain on drugs" rubbish? What drug is that, pray tell? Frying eggs, my eye! As I've said in another post in some thread or other the frying eggs "this is your brain on drugs" most closely resembles what excitotoxicity in the brain looks like. Excitotoxicity that is caused by GABA-ergics, by the way....benzodiazepines and alcohol mostly. GABA is a neurotransmitter (gamma-aminobutyric acid).

Now, I wouldn't mind if there were a few requirements to help people who wanted to consume moderately, or less.

Deffo. This should be part of any rational drugs policy. It's a part of harm reduction.
Harm reduction is woefully absent in our society at large because discussing safe use is seen in many quarters as being akin to encouraging drug use. Never mind the fact that harm reduction in regards to legal drugs is pretty well non-existent! How many people know that alcohol can cause excitotoxicity in the brain? That withdrawal can kill you? That its metabolites are toxic? Or how it even works in the body/brain?
Shouldn't the LCBO have been providing this information this entire time? What sort of irresponsible government agency has a near monopoly on a toxic psychotropic and doesn't even bother attempting to educate the populace? That's some back alley "trust me, these pills are sick, double stacked" drug dealer shit.

Such as requiring the seller of wine or beer to offer some non-alcoholic versions; and to market a at least a few lower-alcohol versions (beer at 4%, wine at 10% etc)

I also think modest portions being on offer, such as 375ml or 500ml bottles of wine, for those who need help w/portion control makes sense.

Yeah, I like this idea. Smaller doses are healthier doses.

While I agree other substances might be less unhealthy, I'm realistic that it will take some time before we see those legal, regulated and available.

But 15 years ago, no one thought pot legalization was on the horizon, or serious discussions of decriminalizing drug possession across the board, but we're here.

Maybe in 20 more years we can finish the rest of the adult conversation.

In my life time? I will be stoked af and I'm not the only one. I used MDMA and psilocybin to get over my near-crippling depression, social anxiety, and self-esteem issues, but that somehow made me a criminal at the time and is not an option that most people who have various SSRIs and MAOIs pushed on them even know about. Except that if I didn't get over my depression I might not be here chatting up the internet. All it takes is some real and complete information. Knowledge is power...or, well just a catalyst for making informed decisions.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel in that trials of psilocybin and MDMA for therapeutic uses are being tested on human subjects now again.

Slowly but surely we'll kick the habit of irrationality and hypocrisy in drugs policy, I'm sure.

See what I did there? :p

It's because our drugs policy is like an addiction to irrationality....or just straight foolishness.
I'm just going to put this here for anyone's perusal http://www.maps.org/

PS: I look forward to being able to grab a six pack with my mates on the way to the beach. Oh, wait, that's still illegal. ;)

Last edited:
So it's still going to cost millions and the value of the company is down. Plus the cost of litigation from the cancelled cap and trade credits. Anyone want to start a tally to keep track of this fiscal prudence? Way to go Doughie!

Dude, I've already lost count.

Whatever, gotta get back to work to pay for it all!

The hilarious part of the Hydro One fiasco (that's what it is, in my opinion) is that:

• This will do nothing to lower hydro prices!
  • The government owns 47% of Hydro One and they just directly caused that value to drop. Cut your nose off to spite your face? Or cut your nose off to spite the taxpayer?
  • This coupled with the cancellation of the Prince Edward County energy project (and the gas plants bullshit) will make us look like a jurisdiction that is bad for business, especially insofar as the energy industry is concerned
  • The threat of legislating immunity from legal proceedings in order to enforce contractual obligations on the part of the government is so horrendously bad for business sentiment that it beggars belief (Doug's stupid sign at the border should read "Open for business, if you're a chancer" or "Spend money, make money....maybe").
  • These government fools are actually proud of this "accomplishment"
What the hell? I thought we were getting "good for business" and "good for the taxpayer". I just lost value in a company that I own shares in indirectly through the government because of the government's own actions. If that's good for the taxpayer then I don't even want to know what bad for the taxpayer looks like to these people.

Serious question: Is there anyone in cabinet who understands economics?

Who the f are those other blokes? I only know Sundin, Yushkevich, Kaberle, Berezin, Perreault, Joseph.......I stopped watching hockey after 2004. Realised switching to football full time jived better with my hate for TV ads. When I realised they stop play in hockey so ads can be run on TV, I gave them the old what's up and quit. Also coincided with the lockout. Lockout? Union? Piss off.

Anyway, Sundin was my favourite hockey player ever.
Yeah, ads are the worst. Football has loads of them too though. Unless of course you're referring to soccer.

The Leafs just signed Tavares, who I'd say is as good as Sundin and was the Islanders' franchise player until this season. It's the biggest free agent signing since, well, about the time you stopped watching hockey. Matthews was drafted first overall by the Leafs two years ago and will end up being better than Sundin or Tavares. And Kadri is a solid two way 30 goal scorer. The Leafs might just be the best team in the league down the middle right now and the best Leafs team in my lifetime. They're a legit contender. You picked a good time to stop watching because they've been mostly terrible since then, but if there's a time to jump back on the bandwagon it's now. :D

Sorry to go off topic, but but all this talk about the premier is depressing.

Yeah, ads are the worst. Football has loads of them too though. Unless of course you're referring to soccer.

No, definitely not hand egg.....I don't watch that sad derivation of rugby.

The Leafs just signed Tavares, who I'd say is as good as Sundin and was the Islanders' franchise player until this season. It's the biggest free agent signing since, well, about the time you stopped watching hockey. Matthews was drafted first overall by the Leafs two years ago and will end up being better than Sundin or Tavares. And Kadri is a solid two way 30 goal scorer. The Leafs might just be the best team in the league down the middle right now and the best Leafs team in my lifetime. They're a legit contender. You picked a good time to stop watching because they've been mostly terrible since then, but if there's a time to jump back on the bandwagon it's now. :D

There will never be another Sundin. :p
I can't be bothered. I still watch international tournaments, but the NHL lost my interest for good.

Sorry to go off topic, but but all this talk about the premier is depressing.

Don't be depressed. It's all very comical, if you think about it. Good for the taxpayer and good for business has turned out to be the antithesis of such and yet people still believe in it as being as advertised. I'm laughing. As me mum always says: "It's better to laugh than to cry."
And if there's one thing I've learnt it's that mum is usually right.

Back