1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 608     0 

Posting problems

Try this and let me know if it works.

- Close all internet browser windows.
- In the windows "Run" box type "cmd" to open the command prompt.
- At the prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns"

The next time this happens (404 errors presumably?), go to Start -> Run -> 'cmd' (to get to DOS).

Type:
ping www.urbantoronto.ca <enter>

If you get 4 ping replies, then it's unlikely to be DNS related
If you get no replies (ie: request timed out), then type:
ping 207.210.105.96 <enter>

If you get 4 ping replies to this but not the other one, it's most definitely DNS-related. You can try using a different DNS server but some ISPs (rogers sometimes) block the usage of DNS servers that they don't own.

If you don't get any replies to either of these, it's a problem somewhere between you and urbantoronto.ca and is uncontrollable.

If you get 4 ping replies from both but still can't access www.urbantoronto.ca, then it's possibly browser-related.

This all assumes you're getting 404 page errors when you say you can't access urbantoronto.ca

Thanks for the help, folks. It seems to be working fine from home now...whatever suddenly made the page inaccessible has reversed itself after 6 days, unless a mod fixed something. A few other websites were unavailable last week but have slowly returned, urbantoronto.ca being the last to return.

I think there were server problems somewhere beyond the Rogers system because, via traceroutes, I discovered the unavailable websites were all failing at some server in Atlanta, I believe. Rogers insisted there was nothing wrong but those servers are working fine now.

Back