W

wyliepoon

Link to article

A commute complete With A Dining Car
Via picking up the T.O.-bound as far away as London

Jeanne Gagnon
National Post

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

on Roger lives in a 19th century house on an hectare of land in Port Hope. He has a view of Lake Ontario.

Weekdays, he takes the 7:11 a.m. Via Rail train, arriving at Toronto's Union Station at 8:20 a.m. and he's in his office at Torys law firm in the TD Centre -- Starbucks coffee in hand -- 10 minutes later. He has read the paper and caught up on the latest news of his fellow passengers.

He repeats this routine in the evening, although the coffee is replaced by beer or wine.

"It takes me longer to drive in, even on a good d ay," said Mr. Roger, who pays $575 for his monthly Via pass. "And if I was to park my car here, out of my building, it's as much as the train ticket."

In an often-gridlocked city where homes are unaffordable for many families and commuting by crowded subway can take many people 45 minutes or more, a civilized ride on Via is growing more attractive.

Every day, Via serves commuters from Cobourg, London and Guelph. Southern Ontario commuters made 118,000 Via trips in February, 2006. It was up 6% a year later, to 125,000.

''It's a big clientele or market for us, really for the past decade or so,'' said Via spokesman Malcolm Andrews.

"People [are] moving farther and farther afield and beyond the GTA to areas like Cobourg, Port Hope and even as far out as Kingston or in the other direction toward Brantford, Kitchener, London. The number of people that use our trains, I won't say on a daily basis necessarily, but several times per week, to travel back and forth between those communities and Toronto ... has been growing steadily.''

Via Rail introduced a monthly commuter pass last July for its frequent travellers, who still have the option of buying a 10 round-trip pass or purchasing the GO VIA Pak, which allows commuters to use either service.

Given the choice, many people choose Via, which has seen commuter traffic rise 7% in the last three years in markets served by GO. Some areas were much higher than that: Brampton saw a 30% increase in commuter passes between 2005 and 2006, while Oakville was up 15% and Guelph was up 10%.

"We certainly have not had any difficulty accommodating the growth to this point, and we don't anticipate having any difficulty continuing to accommodate the growth at the rate that it's been increasing. It's been a steadily growing market, and there is no sign that it's going to stop growing," Mr. Andrews said.

Many commuters prefer Via because of the more plentiful (and comfortable) seating, access to bathrooms and food service.

First-class passengers get a three-course meal with real utensils, while economy class travellers can purchase sandwiches, snacks and beverages.

This pampering is appreciated by Cindy-Lou Thibodeau, who faces a sixhour daily commute from her home on Nappan Island, near Campbellford, to Toronto.

She leaves home at 5:15 a.m. and drives an hour to the Cobourg train station, hops on the 6:59 a.m. train and arrives at Union Station about an hour and a half later. Then it's on the subway to her office near Yonge and St. Clair where she works as a payroll co-ordinator for Upper Lakes Group, a shipping company for the Great Lakes.

"It's quite the distance. I wouldn't recommend this commute for everybody. It takes a certain kind of person to do it," said Ms. Thibodeau, whose monthly pass costs her $601.

"In the beginning, I didn't [enjoy it.] But then, after a period of time, you sort of get used to it, get into the routine, get accustomed to it."

But for other commuters, nothing beats no driving.

Risk manager Scott Wylie has been commuting from Guelph to Toronto daily for the past year.

He said he doesn't drive to Toronto because he sold his car. "Although Via is more expensive than the GO train, I don't have much of an option. There is no GO train service to Guelph and if you work it out, it's more economical than the upkeep of a ca r," Mr. Wylie said.

Microsoft consultant Doug Santori makes the trip from Guelph to Toronto about every eight days out of 10. His monthly pass costs him $481.

''When I have to drive, I find it to be a very stressful way to spend my time," Mr. Santori said.

"When I'm sitting on the train, I can be comfortable, have coffee brought to me and read my book. It's a lot more relaxing.''

- - -

GROWTH

Via commuter trips in Southern Ontario: 2004: 521,000 trips 2005: 603,000 trips 2006: 656,000 trips Ridership on GO trains 2004: 45,031,300 trips 2005: 46,832,900 trips 2006: 48,292,000 trips

There's a huge latent market in places like Kitchener-Waterloo for VIA service to Toronto, if it could be sped up and frequencies were better. Right now, there are only three trains a day, and it takes an hour and 40 minutes if it's on time, which is rare. If they could get it down to an hour and 10, about the time it takes for a fast drive, and there were about 7 or 8 trips each way, it would be extraordinarily popular. Right now, the trains are already mostly sold out. The major riders are people who work in Toronto for two or three days a week. It's a bit long for a daily commute, but for more occasional trips it's quite pleasant.

If you commute by VIA, there's another benefit - VIA's relatively generous loyalty program. After 2-3 years of that, you have enough points for a first class trip for two to Vancouver.

Most VIA stations are or near downtown. Windsor, Kingston and Ottawa are major exceptions. .

If open spaces were my thing and I worked downtown, I'd much rather buy a century-old house in the west end of Brantford and commute an hour by VIA than buy some Mattamy cul de sac special in Milton and commute an hour by GO.

Doing a quick MLS search, I found that $370k gets you this much house in Brantford:

133251.jpg

133253.jpg

and this much in Milton:

w10890931.jpg

w10890935.jpg

The west end of Brantford (towards the school of the Blind) is a lovely section of town. Now that Laurier's growing there, the downtown is slightly better than completely derilict these days (one major slumlord owns about half of the abandoned storefronts, unless that changed recently).

And the VIA station is almost a close walking distance. Certainly biking distance. Try walking or biking to most GO stations. Apart from Port Credit, Brampton, Unionville, Markham or Streetsville, its terrible in the 905.

I'd be quite happy with a old Guelph house on the northwest end of its lovely downtown there, especially if there were a few more trains on that line, and the ride 15 minutes faster (which is feasible)

Ah-Long-distance commuting. NYC has a share of commuters that commute major distances to Manhattan to work. What are some of the distances to TOR on VIA? How about prices for monthly passes on VIA? On a related subject-is there any thought on expanding the GO TRANSIT rail network? For starters-an idea I have is for GO to take over service to Niagara Falls-84 miles to TOR I believe. I think that GO could serve the Niagara Peninsula on the average of every two hours-the only questionmark is serving Hamilton-with the better-located TH&B station would Aldershot or Stoney Creek be a good alternative? Would any GO extensions-say to Guelph and Kitchener be workable? Speaking of VIA again-how far do their extreme commuters come from? LI MIKE

Dusting off this old thread. I spoke to someone recently whose partner commutes 4 days a week from Brantford to Union Station. She said that there has been a noticeable increase in commuters using the line in the last few years, likely as a consequence of Toronto GTA housing prices.

I used to take VIA regularly on trips home when I lived in Ottawa. After a while, I started noticing the same people who would take the evening train with me during a weekday when leaving. Getting off at Coburg and Belleville. After interacting with a few of them, it seemed apparent that most were lawyers, accountants, etc. who didn't have to commute daily. Great arbitrage opportunity. A Toronto lawyer's salary goes a hell of a long way in Belleville.

I could probably manage a commute like that provided it was a 3 day a week thing. Given the way technology is today, I think that's possible with a lot of jobs. Most jobs downtown could probably easily pull off 4 day weeks with 1 day working at home.

This has been going on since the days of CN. I have known plenty of people who did this on one line or another. The demand is likely higher than ever, with growing suburbs in the outlying towns and with the highways into Toronto getting insanely congested. The biggest barrier these days is the lack of express track capacity, with GO having reached its current volume of commuter trains in the 20-30 miles into Union. LSE/LSW is adding capacity for express trains, but KW and Barrie won't have it for some time yet.

- Paul

I used to take VIA regularly on trips home when I lived in Ottawa. After a while, I started noticing the same people who would take the evening train with me during a weekday when leaving. Getting off at Coburg and Belleville. After interacting with a few of them, it seemed apparent that most were lawyers, accountants, etc. who didn't have to commute daily. Great arbitrage opportunity. A Toronto lawyer's salary goes a hell of a long way in Belleville.

I know a few people that do the VIA commute. Most work for the gov't or a bank where it's acceptable to get up and leave at 5pm. Many professionals don't have that luxury of fixed hours.

One person I know moved all the way to London. She was able to compress her meetings to 2 days a week. 8+ hours in Toronto each day 9 to 5:30. Plus the 2h15min each way on the train where there is wifi so she can work. This extra time lets her compress the entire 40 hour week into a 4 day workweek.

But not for everyone. If you have kids you need one spouse or a close family member near the school in case there is an emergency. And a workplace that encourages this type of telecommuting. Even worse if you get laid off then it'd be hard to find a similar job.

A lot of the town in SWO have seen a large growth in the retiree's moving in. It will be interesting how much they will use VIA to travel back to Toronto to see friends/family/cultural activities. And if it also creates an uptick in the hotel marketplace (staying overnight after a show).

I made this summary chart in 2016, but I checked a few of the current VIA schedules and prices and it still seems to be up to date.
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 18.55.42.png

The main takeaways here are that:
- VIA is actually competitive with GO in terms of price, with a surprisingly small premium considering the higher comfort and speed. From Oshawa for example, I'd easily choose VIA. For $1 extra per trip, you can save 20 minutes compared to the fastest GO Transit express train, and still have a pretty good range of departure times.
- The North Mainline (London-Stratford-Kitchener-Guelph-Toronto) really lags behind the other mainlines in terms of speed and capacity. Metrolinx and VIA have a lot of work to do.

VIA had planned to add a bunch of new commuting trips starting in 2016, such as one from Stratford arriving Union around 8:30 and departing around 16:30, but we're now halfway through 2017 and there's still no sign of those trains.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 18.55.42.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 18.55.42.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 1,819
Last edited:

Back