News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Possible transit solutions for the Brampton area

Which of the following transit options works best for Brampton & Area?

• Add or subtract routes from current BT bus network

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extension of local bus service to outlying communities: Huttonville, Tullamore, Valleywoods

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DENTROBATE54

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Okay I went about my Brampton transit discussion thread all wrong. So now I'll take CC's lead and tabulate what implementations could work best for the Flower City.

Happy vote-casting :)!

This poll is unfair!!

Where's the "all of the above"?

:D

You should have let people choose more than one option for this poll.

Darn, I knew I left out something. I'm just a rookie at posting polls, I'll learn. Can thread-starters re-edit threads?

Real skewing the answers and not looking at the big picture.

How about more service 7 days a week with late night service.

I would add all above also.

Well I did say choose the best option guys. Maybe a better phrasing of the poll question should have been:

"Which of the following should be the top #1 transit priority for Brampton and area?"

All the options have varying degrees of merit, but of course feel free to vocalize your opinions through dialogue as well as vote-casting.

I selected all day, bi-directional service on the Georgetown line because connections to Toronto are very poor in comparison to other places in the GTA.

A Queen Street LRT would add capacity to the busiest bus route in the city, but it doesn't have to be LRT. Whatever it is, it should continue into York Region and be interlined with whatever YRT decides to run on Highway 7. It should not force you to transfer at the border.

A Hurontario LRT should be built from the north end of Brampton (some say Mayfield Road, but I think heart lake terminal is more appropriate) to Port Credit, with meaningful service north of Brittannia. One of my major MT complaints is that MT planners are not abliged to serve areas outside of Mississauga, despite the fact that their buses frequently leave Shopper's World full.

Steeles, Bovaird & Dixie could use BRT, mainly to get buses out of the gridlock. Bramalea is another corridor worth exploring.

More routes are needed to serve neighborhoods better. This might include community bus routes with smaller vehicles, flag buses, or shared taxis. Basically, we need to reduce the amount of time someone spends walking to a bus stop to no more than 10 or 15 minutes.

I fully support extending bus service to communities like Valleywood. I would appreciate anything that reduces my half-hour walk in the ditch, where trucks are doing at least 90.

The Georgetown GO Line is for people in Brampton to get out of Peel Region. For more localized service, the Hurontario LRT would better serve Brampton, as well as Mississauga. For those who want to stay in Peel Region, the LRT along Hurontario would be a drawing fixture, instead of an quick escape.

Brampton needs the following:

Immediately:
GO bus service to Union Station at a minimum of every hour to match every other corridor save Richmond Hill, 7 days a week. 1:30AM departures Friday and Saturday nights from Union Station.

Service standards for evening and weekend service on BT. BT has done a lot to improve the past 3 years, but some services are lacking, especially evenings and weekends. All routes should run every 30 minutes minimum when they run. Core routes (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 14, 15, 18, 52, 77) should not have service below 15 minutes 7 days a week (perhaps every 20 minutes Sunday), at least until 10PM. Tier 2 routes (3, 8, 9A, 12, 16, 17, 23, 50, 51, 52, 53) should run no worse than 20-30 minutes all day, 7 days a week.
- Integration with Caledon, and possibly Georgetown.

Within 2 years - Acceleride will be on-line. I think Acceleride will be fine for now for Queen and Main Street north of Downtown Brampton, and then Steeles, Bovaird and Dixie. All day, hourly train service to Mount Pleasant at least to about 10PM weekdays (with bus service later until 1:30AM), and a move to S-Bahn/Regional Rail/REX. The Hurontario LRT really needs to go to downtown Brampton, am not sure about further north.

It is hard to justify building an LRT up Main St since Queen is the busiest corridor by far. I think even Steeles East is busier as well. There is actually not much along Main, and it is no busier than the other major north-south routes, Dixie and Kennedy.

^ Quite true. Most of Old Town Brampton, primarily residential and affluent, is situated within vicinity of Main St, hence you'd have a hard time convincing anyone with politicial/financial weight to build a LRT line past Brampton GO Stn.

Kennedy's extremely busy and a major transfer point for the 3 major east-west routes. I always thought Kennedy should be rerouted to Shopper's World terminal and have Route 10 South Industrial cover lower Kennedy from First Gulf to Courtney Park and back.

What I don't get about 18 Dixie is the wacky time scheduling. I was on the 11 Steeles bus the other day and silly me for thinking I had better wait to til Dixie to transfer onto a Bramalea City Centre-bound bus. I must have waited 30 mins for a nirthbound to appear, all the while a total of 3 southbounds just sat parked a block north of Steeles. If just one of those buses had short-turned I wouldn't be so vexed. The silly 2 trips per hour off-peak (9 am-3pm) should be bumped upto every 15 mins or better all day.

Funny you should say that...

7 Kennedy used to go to Shopper's World for the longest time, but it was changed when Brampton moved to a more grid-based system a few years ago. The idea was to serve the Poweraid Centre and improve connections to Mississauga, but events at the building seem too infrequent to warrant regular service in my opinion.

Also, 18 Dixie already has a short turn for northbound buses at the City Centre. Service south of there should be every 7 minutes, but traffic screws it all up.

BRT is needed on Dixie, me thinks.

LRT to downtown Brampton was in MoveOntario 2020, and there are many developments going up to justify it. I'll be satisfied with BRT north of there, but I don't think the LRT should end downtown forever. Other corridors (definitely Steeles, with Queen a no-brainer) need higher order desperately.

I also find it frustrating that Mississauga planners don't see the big picture. The Hurontario LRT should be an extremely important link between Mississauga and Brampton. And it should go as far as possible to avoid extra transfers. If we were in Toronto proper, Hurontario would be regarded as one of the "Avenues".

I also find it frustrating that Mississauga planners don't see the big picture. The Hurontario LRT should be an extremely important link between Mississauga and Brampton. And it should go as far as possible to avoid extra transfers. If we were in Toronto proper, Hurontario would be regarded as one of the "Avenues".

This is the problem with having independent cities.

You are the mayor of (insert regional centre name). Why would you build a subway line to (insert independent suburb name)? People in there cannot vote for you and they don't pay your salary. It may sound scummy, but its the reality of politics in ontario.

This is why I support:

a) people actually cooperating and serving the greater good.

b) if this is not possible, a strong regional authority that can make them cooperate

c) if that is not possible, amalgamating the systems

^ I would support a government structure similar to the old Metro Toronto being implemented across the entire GTA, but too many politicians (who benefit from the status quo) will warn of a slippery slope to a mega-mega-city in the future.

Back