News   May 13, 2024
 612     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 655     0 

Portlands & West Bayfront Aerial Shots

D

DarnDirtyApe

Portlands & West Bayfront Aerial Shots

It was such a clear day on Friday, I thought I'd take advantage of the views from my office to see what's going in the east end.

Rather than paste in all the links, I'd suggest you click HERE to see the whole set in Flickr.

Here's a couple of photos

137032306_ed1be42a8d_b.jpg

137030540_94829c1e4b_b.jpg

137031941_fbbbe92d23_b.jpg

137030781_a8c76e5491_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Those are perfect for a before and after comparison.

Did they put up a wall across Front Street? They must be serious about doing something on the old Atartari (sp?) lands.

I just drove along those empty streets that appear to be blocked off only a few weeks ago.

They have knocked down a one storey building already. Very serious. :)

Ha. Closing streets means something more than demolishing a one story building, though I wonder if much will get done - look at how long they've been ready to build the additional Union TTC platform.

The West Bayfront has finished the EA process down to the location of sewer pipes and I think the tender on the earth berm is already out so this is definitely happening. The rail bridge is expected to be widened by next summer and new roads open in late 2008.

The TTC Union platform thing is disappointing. There has been no visible movement on the project for about a year and a half. I hope the delay has something to do with the Union Precinct plan and that they aren't waiting on a Union Station deal. Also I hope they fix the sewers in the area because there is always a sewage smell just outside the station.

I have a few more photos taken that day that show some of the construction south of Union station. I'll try to get them up soon.

My guess would be that anything relating to Union is on hold pending a resolution of everything else going on with the station. Frankly, I use Union subway station every day during rush hour and I don't see the need for a third platform right now (King and St. Andrew feel like they get a lot more usage).

DarnDirtyApe,

Thanks for the fantastic Aerial shots of the Portlands and the West Don Lands.

The provincial government is serious about getting work on the West Don Lands, hence the very visble construction work.

As for the Union Station platform, I would say it's badly needed! The puny staircases makes it impossible to have two lanes of traffic.

From what I recall work on the Union Station platform will commence this fall when Front Street is reconstructed at the same time.

Louroz

Louroz

Good point, actually. There are problems on those stairs because of the narrowness.

Back