News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Poor quality condo - frustrated with developer - what can be done?

Dosbox, true many ppl in real life accuse me of being an arrogant self-centred prick. I think I'm just a blunt honest straight-forward kind of guy trying to help. Is being curious about how other's live their lives evil in this PC world?

Anyway, I know enough about poor quality condos--In Vancouver, they've got people hired as "finishers" that inspect condos and fix any flaws BEFORE ppl move in. I did such work myself. Isn't that practised here in T-dot?

1. Gen X kids really are absurdly picky. I think the boomer developer generation missed this important point and surely will cost them in the future.

In my experience, the opposite is true. Boomers tend to be way pickier than younger people when it comes to build quality, and the generations preceding them are pickier still. Much of it comes because they have a much better idea of what to look for. There are lots of things that my grandfather (a cabinetmaker) would have found completely unacceptable that I likely wouldn't even notice. That's why I think it's a good idea to bring an older relative or a friend/family member in the construction trades to help you check for defects in a new condo.

In my experience, the opposite is true. Boomers tend to be way pickier than younger people when it comes to build quality, and the generations preceding them are pickier still. Much of it comes because they have a much better idea of what to look for. There are lots of things that my grandfather (a cabinetmaker) would have found completely unacceptable that I likely wouldn't even notice. That's why I think it's a good idea to bring an older relative or a friend/family member in the construction trades to help you check for defects in a new condo.

True. If someone with experience isn't available, bring anyone as a second pair of eyes. A new purchaser seeing their home for the first time will be somewhat overwhelmed. A less excited second party can be a great help at spotting things which could otherwise be overlooked.

And I am always curious--why do people need condos? Is it to keep up with the Jones' syndrome

I'm 28 and single. The last thing I want to do with my evenings and weekends is spend all of it on house chores.

Finally, is the building in question attractive from an aesthetic pov? In boring Toronto, that means it would have to be an Aa building. Because I have high standards and don't tolerate people supporting bad "artists."

This is almost hysterical. As if anyone looking to buy their first place can afford to be picky about aesthetic standards. Have you seen what affordable urban housing stock looks like? It's a lot more frightening than even Star of Downtown!

Seeing as there are already a bunch of residents in the building, it should be relatively straightforward to gather a group and split the cost of consulting a good lawyer rather than a bunch of random people here :)

I thought i'd get ideas here in the first instance... I know getting a lawyer between us is an option - but the logistics are a nightmare.

You've got residents who are livid, residents who are placid, residents who don't want to cause a fuss, residents who don't want to be contacted, residents outside the country, residents who will pay, residents who won't pay, residents who will pay but will resent the residents who get the benefit of the action who didn't pay, etc., etc.

Dosbox, true many ppl in real life accuse me of being an arrogant self-centred prick. I think I'm just a blunt honest straight-forward kind of guy trying to help. Is being curious about how other's live their lives evil in this PC world?

And how is getting on your soap box and expressing your distaste for Toronto condos supposed to be "helpful"?

I thought i'd get ideas here in the first instance... I know getting a lawyer between us is an option - but the logistics are a nightmare.

You've got residents who are livid, residents who are placid, residents who don't want to cause a fuss, residents who don't want to be contacted, residents outside the country, residents who will pay, residents who won't pay, residents who will pay but will resent the residents who get the benefit of the action who didn't pay, etc., etc.

Presumably the first group is sizable enough to afford 2-3 hours of consultation with a lawyer as to your options. Once you've got a ballpark estimate of potential costs for litigation you might be able to round up additional residents.

Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck.

After going through all the post:

What about your respective lawyers that did the closing for you guys?

The "finishers" seems like a good idea, maybe all the residents can get together and get a group rate.

...and Toronto is better than Hamilton. :D

Back