News   Jul 19, 2024
 408     3 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 336     1 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 416     0 

Plans to fill in Allen Road

I thought I read that they were demolishing Eglinton Square and extending Ranee st (? blvd?) south to meet Eglinton. Could a side ramp from the Allen to the newly extended Ranee work to disperse traffic more efficiently?

That or some sort of modified SPUI interchange would be the best option at this location.

I thought I read that they were demolishing Eglinton Square and extending Ranee st (? blvd?) south to meet Eglinton.
Eglinton Square is in Scarborough; clearly you are referring to something else on Eglinton ... but for the life of me, I can't figure out what you mean. And Ranee is parallel to Eglinton running all the way from Bathurst to Dufferin ... I'm not seeing how (or why) one would extend it to Eglinton - I assume you are thinking of another street than Ranee?

I assume you are thinking of another street than Ranee?

My guess, based on the proposal, is that he is referring to Marlee (which runs from Eglinton to Lawrence) and extending it through a demolished Lawrence Square to Ranee.

http://www.torontohousing.ca/webfm_send/6272

It wouldn't have anything to do with off-loading the Allen since there is no easy access to Ranee.

My guess, based on the proposal, is that he is referring to Marlee (which runs from Eglinton to Lawrence) and extending it through a demolished Lawrence Square to Ranee.

http://www.torontohousing.ca/webfm_send/6272

It wouldn't have anything to do with off-loading the Allen since there is no easy access to Ranee.

Yes, you're right. Thanks for the correction.

If they do demolish Lawrence square would that not be an opportunity to create a connection with the Allen?

Funny how the "remove" option produces more roads! A misnomer to be sure. Planners can't avoid building...

Also every cross-section shows the subway in an exposed ditch. Yuck. There is precedence in reclaiming these spaces.

This study is another example of why environmental assessments are limited and rather useless. Rather than presenting 8 fundamentally different ideas - which the current EA model does not require - most EAs study 2 extremes, and every minor variance in between. This EA should have considered:

- putting the highway in a tunnel, but also building a 4 lane local road above.
- tightening the highway width - put the entire highway on one wide of the subway tracks.
- eliminating the highway, constructing 2 one way roads a block apart at grade. New York demonstrates that directionality in no way impacts the street scene, while Toronto demonstrates that allowing buildings to turn their back to one ways streets does.
- explore how linking up Dufferin North with Dufferin South will impact travel patterns and times, and thus overall demand in the Allen corridor.

This study is another example of why environmental assessments are limited and rather useless. Rather than presenting 8 fundamentally different ideas - which the current EA model does not require - most EAs study 2 extremes, and every minor variance in between. This EA should have considered:

- putting the highway in a tunnel, but also building a 4 lane local road above.
- tightening the highway width - put the entire highway on one wide of the subway tracks.
- eliminating the highway, constructing 2 one way roads a block apart at grade. New York demonstrates that directionality in no way impacts the street scene, while Toronto demonstrates that allowing buildings to turn their back to one ways streets does.
- explore how linking up Dufferin North with Dufferin South will impact travel patterns and times, and thus overall demand in the Allen corridor.

:eek: Such logic is unheard of in these parts.

Even Buffalo wants to bury its version of the Allen Road, Kensington Expressway. See this link.

cover3

Sixty-two years ago, William Gallancy, an associate engineer with New York State’s Department of Public Works, told a standing-room-only crowd at St. James Evangelical and Reformed Church on High Street that the Kensington Expressway was the best solution to East Buffalo’s problems. Traffic congestion on the neighborhood’s thoroughfares was bad and getting worse, he explained. “Gallancy said 70,000 vehicles a day cram that section’s main arteries—Main, Kensington, Genesee, Bailey and Walden,” according to a Buffalo News account of the meeting. “And, he added, the growth of suburbs and congestion of traffic continues to increase at a tremendous rate.

“Unless something is done to relieve this congestion, he said, property values will drop alarmingly. ‘It is doing more to depress property values than anything else,’ he warned. ‘We must save the city from becoming a backyard for its suburbs.’”

Well. That certainly didn’t work.

The $45 million Kensington Expressway tore up Frederick Law Olmsted’s tree-lined Humboldt Parkway, claimed hundreds of homes in previously stable neighborhoods, ripped a trench in the ground that emphasized the city’s racial division, and diverted automobile traffic from the East Side’s once-thriving business strips to a limited-access expressway that shuttles commuters from downtown Buffalo to the northern suburbs in about 10 minutes on a clear day.

In other words: Making the city a backyard to its suburbs. Depressing property values. Starving small businesses on Jefferson and Fillmore of customers and abetting the evisceration of those business districts. Subjecting two generations of residents surrounding the expressway to air and noise pollution.

Read more: http://artvoice.com/issues/v9n9/bury_this_big_mistake#ixzz0hGLjxSkk

According to Craig Mozrall of NYSDOT, there are five design options under consideration. First, the do nothing option. Second, simply improve retaining walls and railings, plus landscaping, which is what is happening between Jefferson and Michigan now.

The next two options involve capping the Kensington between Best Street and Delavan Avenue. The trench that carries the Kensington is not deep enough to be capped as is, so the first capping option envisions a surface median that is raised four feet above grade, with two lanes of traffic on each side of a landscaped parkway. The second capping option is slightly more dramatic: It entails digging the trench four feet deeper, resurfacing the expressway, then building the new parkway at grade over top.

Finally, there’s the fifth option introduced by Mayor Brown last summer: Fill in the expressway and replace it with an at-grade, tree-lined urban boulevard comprising eight lanes. In each direction there would be a slip road and three inner lanes, with parkway in between. In his August letter, Brown referred NYSDOT to the Central Freeway Replacement Project in San Francisco, in which an urban expressway was demolished and replaced with an expanded Octavia Boulevard, removing what many considered a blight on the city’s landscape and injecting the proximate business district with new vitality, while managing to accommodate the displaced traffi

Read more: http://artvoice.com/issues/v9n9/bury_this_big_mistake#ixzz0hGMkmA8X

It would be interesting to see what option they choose. I doubt many here would reject a proposal to keep the Allen, deck it over and add a local arterial avenue on top. There is, however, a group that still wants to see it completely removed.

There are a couple reasons people are against decking over the allen and allowing it to continue to exist. NUMBER 1 it doesnt solve the problem of so many cars being dumped onto EGLINTON. It would just hide it. This for a lot of poeple is the biggest issue. However number 2 is that its simply not financially practical. It makes more sense to make a boulavard at grade then to make a tunnel with vents and everything for the cars to continue to drive. Decking over would be expensive and we wouldnt get developers asking for the land. Loose loose.

Back