News   Jul 18, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 445     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 619     1 

Plans to fill in Allen Road

Please. I referenced Jane Jacobs to Bedford back in the days of the Two Kings, encouraging mixed uses to regenerate neighborhoods. The matter of burying expressways and adding transit is about the life, not the death of American cities. That's the problem, having to constantly explain and defend what should make sense. Don't worry, I've given up on promoting this idea.

Yup, you've got less transit and more congestion. It's nice to wax poetic about adding subway lines and parks/trails, but if you don't also propose ways of paying for them and reducing congestion, these ideas don't ring true. One of the biggest obstacles to a higher quality of life in this city is the hours we spend sitting in traffic or standing on overflowing platforms, or else waiting for slow, crowded streetcars and buses. Connect the dots.

Yup, you've got less transit and more congestion. It's nice to wax poetic about adding subway lines and parks/trails, but if you don't also propose ways of paying for them and reducing congestion, these ideas don't ring true. One of the biggest obstacles to a higher quality of life in this city is the hours we spend sitting in traffic or standing on overflowing platforms, or else waiting for slow, crowded streetcars and buses. Connect the dots.

There are ample way to pay for new subways w/o looking at expanding expressways. One can toll those that already exist (studies show reasonably predictable revenues of 300M+ are feasible.

Parking Tax or returning the sales tax to 15% are also options.

Are there any fiscal conservatives on here? It's always the tax and spend solution to paying for things. We're taxed quite enough thank you. Find other ways. We already pay for existing highways through our taxes. Now, if you're talking about adding underground highways that are tolled, I'm interested.

More critics without solutions. I don't see how subways are crap. Anyway, if the private sector pays for it, what do you care about losses? Why not see if private interests would support such a project? No, you'd rather put tolls on existing highways and increase taxes. The Wynne model. Anyone can do that.

I'd like to see the private sector digest the numbers on a buried expressway (capital, operating and maintenance) and get behind it.

Also, I'm a fiscal conservative, but not like you imagine. I actually pay attention to things like O&M and externalites. I guess 'economist' is a more appropriate word.

Reactions: rbt
The Allen's current issue is that it funnels people onto essentially two exits that require a bunch of turning movements just to access the local area surrounding the expressway slowing down the traffic. I'd almost suggest keeping the highway decking it over and have a park with a boulevard on top to connect with the numerous cross streets to provide connections to the high-rise apartments on Marlee and the other houses directly surrounding the expressway. The key thing is to connect both sides of the expressway and I think having vehicles on a boulevard will help to bring life instead of the existing sterile environment you experience in that void.

Not sure how feasible it is to expect intensification along this corridor closer to Eglinton considering the existing political landscape with one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Toronto.

Not sure how feasible it is to expect intensification along this corridor closer to Eglinton considering the existing political landscape with one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Toronto.
Midrises go up along the borders of Forest Hill all the time, and the precedent is already set in Marlee.

We aren't going to be seeing 60 storys, no, but this is an area where I say, just allow the private sector to work. They'll buy up the houses between Marlee and 'Allen Boulevard' and propose towers. Just like they do between Duplex and Yonge north of Eglinton.

More critics without solutions. I don't see how subways are crap. Anyway, if the private sector pays for it, what do you care about losses? Why not see if private interests would support such a project? No, you'd rather put tolls on existing highways and increase taxes. The Wynne model. Anyone can do that.
Didn't we already do this between 2010 and 2014 with Rob Ford? And nothing got built.

Didn't we already do this between 2010 and 2014 with Rob Ford? And nothing got built.

I wasn't aware of highway tolls under Rob Ford, that would have been inconsistent with the 'war on the car' rhetoric. Taxes were raised, however, to fund a subway extension (whose fate is still uncertain).

Your conclusion remains correct; nothing got built.

Back