News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 535     0 

Pitfield, on Panhandling...

The last time I gave change to a panhandler it was three pennies that were all I had left in my pocket. The person took them and then proceeded to throw them at my head and screemed at me for insulting them with my pennies. She then started looking for other stuff to throw at me and some guy from the streetcar stop ran over and accussed me of harassing a homeless person. I tried to tell my story to no avail and I continued to be screamed at by a crazy lady and some do-gooder guy for the next five minutes until my streetcar arrived. That was about five years ago and I've never given a penny (literally) to anyone since.

Too bad you weren't there last week when a nice young man asked me for five cents.

While I used to be very generous (as I still am towards most people) I'm afraid I've been taken advantage of too many times to have any sympathy for panhandlers. If you really were in need I'd be happy to help, but I need to work so I can buy my booze, and so I'm not going to give you a donation to do the same.

Ever try giving a token to someone who wants "two bucks for the subway"? Chances are pretty good that if you come back in five minutes they'll be trying to sell the token. I've also heard a few obviously fake stories about needing a few bucks to get home to XYZ, despite the fact that I've seen the same guy in the same neighbourhood begging for money many times before. Enough with the con artists, please.

DarnDirtyApe you are right about the Token thing.

You know how my sister gives to the panhandlers, but makes sure its not for booze or anything? She actually goes and buys them the food.

Its true. She was in Yorkville one day and one of the guys was begging(she could tell he did seem down and out) anyway she asked him if he really wanted a meal, and he said yeah. So she took him to a restaurant, and actually bought him lunch.

But she never really gives money out to them like that.

Actually on the subway once, my sister gave her lunch to a guy begging on the train. He gave her this weird look, like "where the money", but he took the food anyway.

My friend has also done that, and donated her lunch to a begger on the street, instead of money. But usually they give you a weird look.

^Yep, I do the same and only give the homeless/street people part of my lunch if they're asking for anything. Only some people accept it, but when they do they're greatly appreciative. Oh, then there are the horror stories of course: in the PATH system near St Andrew Station I was harrassed by a homeless advocate for trying to give my lunch to a begger blocking the doors.

^How could anybody have a problem with that? What did the advocate say?

(edit: oops, I meant Darkstar416's comment)

People in polite society are concerned when complete strangers try to feed them their sandwiches, so why wouldn't beggars be too? When I give friends my homemade jam some of them shudder in fear - homemade anything is to be treated with the utmost suspicion, and gifted homemade jam is the thing that fills many hostesses with dread. Which is why it is so much fun to give! Just ask Simply Dan.

"Oh thank you, you shouldn't have ..."

Whilest walking around in New York City this weekend, on three (THREE!) separate occasions, I was approached by a smelly and grubby homeless person who had the gaul to ask me for change.

Dear God! When will New York City realize what a blight they are on there reputation as a "world class" city and do something!

:rolleyes

Actually NYC banned panhandling a couple years ago.

Other cities have also. Minneapolis is another one that has banned panhandling and people sleeping on the streets.

andreapalladio - which is kinder, accepting the premises that sleeping in the open in the downtown is (a) sane, (b) healthy and (c) your civic right or instead not accepting any of those.

The panhandling thing is a weird reversal, since in order to eradicate it the right wingers would have to come up with a plan to house these individuals, many of whom (homeless advocates regularly tell us) have been ejected from shelters for unacceptable behaviour/drugs etc. Letting people live on the streets rather than housing them is usually something you'd accuse a RIGHT winger of permitting rather than a leftie.

If you're a city native, male and fairly robust looking you probably don't have much to fear from panhandlers. Aren't I lucky, and I suspect that applies to most on this board. The elderly, women or men of slight build or people who are new to Toronto should not have to feel uncomfortable because of being approached by beggars. This is because taxes are paid in this city to the City, Province and Fed Govt in order to see that various levels of funding flow to people who can't help themselves.

This is plainly not happening, and even when it does I feel the "homeless advocates" beloved by NOW magazine act as enablers by telling them "it's public space, sleep in it if you want" rather than saying "you should be sleeping in a bed as everyone else does in this city". City refuse collection are forbidden from picking up the blankets and clothes strewn at downtown street corners. The City Councillors don't help by treating shelters as leper colonies, running scared of having them anyplace other than downtown. It also doesn't help that Habitat and other affordable housing schemes get cut back and delayed because of opposition from people already resident.

Bigmouth Ford et al accuse other municipalities of driving their homeless out toward Toronto. The advocates ensure that city staff can't ask people where they come from so we don't know if it's true or not true (and even if it is their Charter rights would protect them anyway) and we can't know how many there are because rather than help the City provide an accurate homeless count they badmouthed it and boycotted it and encouraged the homeless not to cooperate.

It's time OCAP, "Disaster Relief Committee" etc. were told - we don't want homeless on the streets. It's not good for the City and IT'S NOT GOOD FOR THE HOMELESS. They should present a plan to eradicate individual long-term homelessness in a way that is fair and to cope with short-term homelessness - this will cost money but I believe the existing situation is costing us money too. Where this involves mental care the Province should be told to find the beds or a homeless shelter will appear beside Queen's Park and no panhandling bylaws will not apply within 200m.

Finally - I work at King and Bay. I guess a lot of the homeless I pass daily congregate there because of the high foot traffic and well off workers. A no panhandling bylaw might encourage these homeless to wander elsewhere in the City... the uptown councillors wouldn't like that at all...

On the up side - maybe if cops were patrolling the panhandling bylaw maybe streetcars would run faster on King because the cops might find spare time to shoo cars out of the streetcar lane at peak and move on some of the line of parked taxis. Just a dream I guess :)

"A no panhandling bylaw might encourage these homeless to wander elsewhere in the City..."

They're already all over the city...if you think they're only downtown you either never travel north of Bloor or you're naive. Certainly, they're downtown more often and in greater numbers, but I passed 3 homeless people on Sheppard within 20 minutes on Friday...one was, if not living, then camping out in a bus shelter.

I also find it surprising how many homeless/panhandlers there are outside the city. Even in places like Peterborough on George St there are always several panhandlers out all year long.

Isn't there a difference between a panhandler and a busker? Just a matter of perspective I suppose! Still, not to cloud the issue too much I don't feel that people have the *right* to live and beg in the streets. Defending this specious right as some sort of legitimate response to homelessness is political correctness at its insideous worst.

By the same line of reasoning, people don't have the right to jibjabber on cell phones or peck away at laptops in public either - both would be a huge improvement to streetlife.

Back