News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

I should also mention that rail expansion is opposed by a number of citizens groups due to its environmental impact.

This includes the OFA.

See their comments here:

This build can be done with private money using the efficiency of free enterprise because aviation is profitable. The same can not be said for passenger rail in any form in Canada.

I think there's going to be a few people surprised when the CIB finishes up and comes forward with a construction plan supported by large pension funds.....

I should also mention that rail expansion is opposed by a number of citizens groups due to its environmental impact.

This includes the OFA.

See their comments here:

Nobody want's anything built in their backyards. That doesn't make rail any worse than air

Nobody want's anything built in their backyards. That doesn't make rail any worse than air
The people of Pickering want the airport . They voted for pro airport council members in the 2018 election . Mayor Ryan made building the airport a key part of his election platform.

He won by a landslide.

The people of Pickering want the airport . They voted for pro airport council members in the 2018 election . Mayor Ryan made building the airport a key part of his election platform.

He won by a landslide.
Perhaps the people of Peterborough should pay for the airport. There's nothing wrong with Hamilton airport.

They voted for pro airport council members in the 2018 election . Mayor Ryan made building the airport a key part of his election platform.

He won by a landslide.
That does not indicate support for an airport, as none of these politicians ran on one-issue campaigns. A long-time incumbent getting 60% of the vote is to be expected. Most of the council races were pretty close.

If you are willing to exaggerate the election results into such blatant biased propaganda, then I can only assume that anything you say on the issue is biased, and reduce my previous support for the airport.

The people of Pickering want the airport
The most recent poll I can find says almost 80% oppose it. Though I'm sure someone with such clear shameless bias will tell me that's biased!

(disclaimer - I support the airport - I just don't support dishonest bias).

That does not indicate support for an airport, as none of these politicians ran on one-issue campaigns. A long-time incumbent getting 60% of the vote is to be expected. Most of the council races were pretty close.

If you are willing to exaggerate the election results into such blatant biased propaganda, then I can only assume that anything you say on the issue is biased, and reduce my previous support for the airport.

The most recent poll I can find says almost 80% oppose it. Though I'm sure someone with such clear shameless bias will tell me that's biased!

(disclaimer - I support the airport - I just don't support dishonest bias).

View attachment 194405
Hoodwinked by Land Over Landing infamous zombie poll, or are you the hoodwinker? You need to up your game if plan on undermining our democracy.

Here are the results of the Toronto Stars infamous online poll 2 days after it was released and before it was posted on an European anti airport twitter feed.

D68F45F4-8CF8-4443-858F-D3F9147A0B12.jpeg

And if you are really interested in Troll polls and how they threaten our democracy have a read here:

Last edited:
I'm not even entirely opposed to the idea of the airport. But I am skeptical of spending that much when there's no real evidence yet that Pearson and Hamilton can't handle the coming growth.

The entire case for Pickering boils down to, "I don't want to drive to Hamilton". A flawed viewpoint since not too many people from Pickering will drive to Hamilton.

Hoodwinked by Land Over Landing infamous zombie poll, or are you the hoodwinker? You need to up your game if plan on undermining our democracy.
What are you talking about? I simply looked online, and that's the only poll I could find. How is that trolling?

Why so rude? I support the airport - for general aviation at least. You could at least link to the poll you are reporting - perhaps because the final result also was negative. Shame on you!

My support for this airport is slipping with such blatant dishonesty!

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I simply looked online, and that's the only poll I could find. How is that trolling?

Why so rude? I support the airport - for general aviation at least. You could at least link to the poll you are reporting - perhaps because the final result also was negative. Shame on you!

My support for this airport is slipping with such blatant corrupt dishonesty!

A troll poll is a well know device. It is part of the tricks and techniques used to undermine the US elections in 2016. They Could do the same to Our federal election this fall.

I just told you that you got hoodwinked, you should be thanking me.

But you need to ask yourself Why exactly you believed and forward a rigged Troll poll over real election results from 2018?

Our democracy is fragile ,it is up to all of us to make it stronger and defend it.

We are getting off topic - plus there is zero evidence that the unrestricted online poll - which is about the most unreliable survey measure - has been manipulated *one way or the other*

MoD

We are getting off topic - plus there is zero evidence that the unrestricted online poll - which is about the most unreliable survey measure - has been manipulated *one way or the other*

MoD

True, The poll is closed now, but when it was online you could vote multiple time, I did, just to prove it.
You should note that the one attempt to add a referendum question on the airport to the 2010 municipal elections was opposed by the local anti airport group land over Landings.

See:

Last edited:
The poll is closed now, but when it was online you could vote multiple time, I did, just prove it.
We are not supposed to trust the poll that shows that most oppose the airport, because you voted multiple times against the airport ...

There's no indication that even a majority in Pickering support this.

I support this, but I'm a long way from anywhere that would be impacted by the landing and takeoff noise - so I'm quite happy to dump this on Pickering ... which really should be preserved as farm land anyways, for a large area around the airport.

The fundamental problem with Pickering is that this large proposal creates such a massive expansion that it won't just expand regional capacity, it'll reduce efficiency. So maybe enough slots are freed up at Pearson by discount carriers leaving that Air Canada can keep running six turboprop flights to Thunder Bay daily instead of going to 3-4 flights on larger narrowbody jets.

Overall, this is a recipe for much higher aviation emissions. Hamilton won't bring on the expansion as fast and will actually force a more clear cut rationalization, with only lower yielding destinations moving to YHM.

Supporting the Pickering Airport is a no-brainer if you believe cheaper flights matter more than climate change. If you think there needs to be balance between the enivronment and the economy, I'd argue Hamilton has a better case.

I'm not even entirely opposed to the idea of the airport. But I am skeptical of spending that much when there's no real evidence yet that Pearson and Hamilton can't handle the coming growth.

Waterloo is considering a $350M expansion as well. They're only expecting 6 or so daily 737's but with an improved Kitchener rail service might be a decent airport for discount airlines.

Last edited:

Back