News   Jul 16, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 598     2 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

It better include more international destinations than just the United States.
The plan for this airport was to replace Toronto International (Pearson) entirely. At the time the plan was made, Pearson ended up being closed. So yes, it was to have been an international airport.
Well good. Time to go Head to Head with Frankfurt and London.

It better include more international destinations than just the United States.
It's just general aviation for the foreseeable future isn't it? Probably similar to the current usage at Mirabel. International sure ... but not of much interest. And no transit requirements.

Well good. Time to go Head to Head with Frankfurt and London.

Howso? Fine with me btw. But howso?

Fun fact: Air Canada flies more daily flights to FRA - Frankfurt than any other non-German carrier in the world.

YVR --> FRA
YYC --> FRA
YYZ --> FRA (2X - early and late evening)
YOW --> FRA
YUL - FRA

Last edited:
Howso? Fine with me btw. But howso?

Fun fact: Air Canada flies more daily flights to FRA - Frankfurt than any other carrier in the world.

YVR --> FRA
YYC --> FRA
YYZ --> FRA (2X - early and late evening)
YOW --> FRA
YUL - FRA

Even more than Lufthansa? Interesting.
We need to set a going of at least 1 flight to the 2 largest cities in every single country.

Toronto is set to become a global city (if it isn't already) and welcome another 2.5 million people to the region by 2040.

I am unfamiliar with airport capacities. For those that are more familiar, is it clear-cut that Pearson would not be able to handle the likely increased demand? Is a second Toronto airport really necessary moving forward? (I am not being skeptical, I just want to educate myself on the numbers/needs)

I am unfamiliar with airport capacities. For those that are more familiar, is it clear-cut that Pearson would not be able to handle the likely increased demand? Is a second Toronto airport really necessary moving forward? (I am not being skeptical, I just want to educate myself on the numbers/needs)

Pearson's challenge is that is has a very strong AM and PM rush, so those time slots are quite congested. Most airports with higher passenger counts also seem to have a more spread out load.

So, if you want more AM/PM peak trips (more passengers can fit on larger aircraft but at some point you add more trips too) then something significant needs to happen. The Island Airport absorbed quite a bit of growth over the last decade but it's also close to capacity (by legal agreement, not necessarily physical).

Pearson has gobs of spare capacity around lunch. European airports (London, Frankfurt) get quite a bit of inbound cross-atlantic flightsflights landing between 8am and 11am, and they're all connecting locally to something else from 10am through 3pm. Filling those afternoon slots here is much harder due to geography.

Last edited:
It seems like people are missing the obvious here...

The airport will be serviced by the proposed MTO Bus transitway along 407. The PDR has already been done - a new interchange will start construction next year at 407 between York-Durham Line and Brock Road: http://www.407transitway.com/kennedyToBrock/downloads/Roll plot PIC boards-Plate 3.pdf

The only transit will be buses...you know, like what Pearson Airport had for 40 years.

Hey really good catch! I sometimes I find myself thinking "trains, trains, trains" and forget the usefulness of busses.

The 407 Transitway would probably be the provincially-backed transit option to the airport from day 1. However, I can for sure still see VIA building a station for the airport if they choose the Havelock Sub for their dedicated tracks program. Fast and easy connections to Toronto, Peterborough, and Ottawa? There would for sure be riders. Even if the numbers aren't huge, VIA wants profitability, and the more people the merrier. And with VIA wanting trains to run roughly hourly, the frequency is actually pretty good for intercity service.

Pearson has gobs of spare capacity around lunch. European airports (London, Frankfurt) get quite a bit of inbound cross-atlantic flightsflights landing between 8am and 11am, and they're all connecting locally to something else from 10am through 3pm. Filling those afternoon slots here is much harder due to geography.
New York City has three international airports: JFK, La Guardia, and Newark Liberty (in New Jersey). It would be interesting if there were flights from Pearson to each of the three airports during lunch (though Newark Liberty already has a connection with the Island Airport).

New York City has three international airports: JFK, La Guardia, and Newark Liberty (in New Jersey). It would be interesting if there were flights from Pearson to each of the three airports during lunch (though Newark Liberty already has a connection with the Island Airport).

I would have thought there were already flights to all three airports from Toronto.

A quick google flights search yields: AA, WJ, and AC fly to LaGuardia; Porter (via Island airport), United, and AC fly to Newark; Delta, AA, and AC fly to JFK, and all have departures between 11 am and 3pm

Back