News   Jul 31, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 283     1 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

While others where focused on rail blockades and our #COVID19 crisis, Local Liberal MP Jennifer O’Connell released a baffling statement that both misquotes and misreads a multi-million dollar report from KPMG.

Just a rushed mistake or something worse?

I wonder if we have past data on things that severely impacted travel what it did to the number or airplanes at Pearson. For intance, 9/11 and SARS. How long til the airlines recovered to pre emergency levels?

This has been described as worse than 9/11, SARS and the GFC combined. It will take well more than 5 years to recover from this economically. Let alone for the airlines. Not to mention that this crisis is going to see businesses really rethink how they do business, how much they travel and whether the risks are worthwhile. I suspect investment in connectivity and videoconferencing is going to skyrocket.

Good to see the report out though. Does provide some context. I suspect any update in a year is going to to push out timelines though.

Last edited:
Perhaps the global downturn will enable the government to find some good deals to replacing the military CC-144 and 150 fleets. We do seem to like a good bargain.

Perhaps the global downturn will enable the government to find some good deals to replacing the military CC-144 and 150 fleets. We do seem to like a good bargain.

Yeah but the opposition would make noise over purchasing jets for VIP use, regardless of how good of a deal or necessary they are.

Yeah but the opposition would make noise over purchasing jets for VIP use, regardless of how good of a deal or necessary they are.

Only one 150 is configured for VIP transport (I think that's the one that got a nose boo-boo). Two are pretty much set up like airliners for troop transport. Two are tankers. Bad optics if they did that before settling on a fighter, but a deal's a deal.

Only one 150 is configured for VIP transport (I think that's the one that got a nose boo-boo). Two are pretty much set up like airliners for troop transport. Two are tankers. Bad optics if they did that before settling on a fighter, but a deal's a deal.

I sincerely hope there's more thought put in that buying a bunch of used Airplanes. This crisis should make it blatantly obvious how the military cuts and underinvestment of the last decade have severely impacted our ability to help. We don't even have enough internet connections to have everybody work from home right now. We're literally timesharing one internet connection between 6 people in my section, coordinating over Slack because the Shared Services Canada can't be bothered to give us secure corporate messaging tools. I hope heads roll after this.

On topic. It's not just the CC150. It's also the CC130 Hercules tankers out of Winnipeg that need to get replaced. So the ideal fleet is 4-5 tanker-transport aircraft.

There's open debate on what to do about VVIP transport. Configuring a large widebody exclusively for VVIP lift results in an aircraft that is substandard for VVIP lift and kinda crappy for general strategic airlift. They'll be looking into whether a fleet of larger bizjets can replace the VVIP CC150 and the CC144s. And many of us are kinda rooting for that outcome. More flexibility. And better resource allocation. Most people don't get this. But aside from VIP transport, the Challengers are used to airlift injured personnel and families, move sensitive parts or other materiel, etc. So a large widebody that is one of a kind sorta ruins flexibility. Better to have fewer types and configurations.

I sincerely hope there's more thought put in that buying a bunch of used Airplanes. This crisis should make it blatantly obvious how the military cuts and underinvestment of the last decade have severely impacted our ability to help. We don't even have enough internet connections to have everybody work from home right now. We're literally timesharing one internet connection between 6 people in my section, coordinating over Slack because the Shared Services Canada can't be bothered to give us secure corporate messaging tools. I hope heads roll after this.

On topic. It's not just the CC150. It's also the CC130 Hercules tankers out of Winnipeg that need to get replaced. So the ideal fleet is 4-5 tanker-transport aircraft.

There's open debate on what to do about VVIP transport. Configuring a large widebody exclusively for VVIP lift results in an aircraft that is substandard for VVIP lift and kinda crappy for general strategic airlift. They'll be looking into whether a fleet of larger bizjets can replace the VVIP CC150 and the CC144s. And many of us are kinda rooting for that outcome. More flexibility. And better resource allocation. Most people don't get this. But aside from VIP transport, the Challengers are used to airlift injured personnel and families, move sensitive parts or other materiel, etc. So a large widebody that is one of a kind sorta ruins flexibility. Better to have fewer types and configurations.

If the federal Shared Services is anything like Ontario's. I feel your pain. Our daughter (civilian) is sharing DND portals as well and has been trying to time her access when she feels 'the competition' will be lightest.

Isn't that how we got the current 150s; used from Canadian Airlines (ex Wardair)?

Isn't that how we got the current 150s; used from Canadian Airlines (ex Wardair)?

Yes. And while not too bad a deal, it creates a less than optimal situation if you end up with a hodge-podge fleet. If they can actually get used 3-5 aircraft of the same type and configure each fleet with one configuration, it might be a good deal. But that can be difficult sometimes.

There has already been one completely privately funded proposal, an industrial airport back in 2011. I still have the business case, it was a solid 8% return. at the time transport decided a bigger airport was the way forward. All we need is an RFP, and we get to findout.

Why have they never gone public with it?

I don't buy it at all. Especially post Covid. Now that traffic consolidation and decreased demands looks likely to knock off a decade of growth from commercial aviation. Let's see that same group publish a more up-to-date analysis and include the cost of all the servicing infrastructure that has to be paid for.

Back