483     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 522     0 

Pharmacare for Ontario?

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm interested in whether UT'ers think Ontario needs Pharmacare.

I've set out some facts below, please read, then share your thoughts!

Currently BC, Manitoba, Quebec and Nova Scotia all offer some version of a Pharmacare program.

While each varies, the premise is generally similar, as follows:

Everyone is covered or can be by applying to be.

Coverage is usually 70-80% of prescription drugs costs, but with some kind of deductible and often a family maximum that you will be expected to pay (above which 100% coverage kicks in)

Deductibles and Maximums are usually on a sliding scale by income, just for example:

$15,000 net income 0 - deductible; maximum - 2% of income/$300.00
$50,000 net income 2% deductible ($1,000) maximum - 4% of income/$2,000
$100,000 net income 4% deductible, 6% max. and so on.

Question:

Should Ontario introduce Pharmacare?

Argument in favour:

Provides security for people in all income brackets against catastrophic drug costs and essential medical care being unavailable due to lack of income.

It also allows for eliminating the association of Drug Benefits with Social Assistance and/or ODSP; thus reducing the incentive to some to remain on 'benefits' to preserve coverage for themselves or their children.

Argument Against: The likely cost is somewhere in the range of $1-2B per year for Ontario, based on costs in other provinces. Its difficult to discern as Ontario already pays for drugs for seniors and those on social assitance. Those 2 programs would presumably be eliminated at a quite a savings, against a larger gross cost for a new program.

Discuss

It's also worth pointing out that this would reduce the cost of drug benefits in private and public sector health plans, which is similar to a tax cut.

Definitely an idea worth supporting....and hopefully one we'll see next election.

Ultimately I doubt it. Ontario has some serious fiscal challenges ahead of it, and I doubt there is appetite for additional tax increases to pay for a pharmacare plan.

Back