News   Jul 12, 2024
 958     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 838     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 341     0 

Pet Food Shops in Downtown Toronto?

The Global Pet Foods in Liberty Village carries Oxbow for small animals which is fairly high end food for little critters. I know they do special orders as well so just ask if you don't see what you want.

Thanks. For us, it's probably quicker to go to Davisville/Eglinton just because it's right on the subway line. Liberty Village is a bit awkward for us to get to unfortunately. It's great to hear that stores are selling the proper food for "pocket pets" though.

"Feed Me More" pet food & supplies moved about six months ago back to Church Street just north of Alexander on the east side. Watch for their sign, you could pass it. You have to walk down about 8 steps to get into the store.

Seriously? Never, ever, ever, ever give these scum your money.

There is no excuse, whatsoever, in any way shape or form for pet stores to be selling animals in this day and age, particularly cats and dogs.

One, the shelters are full of abandoned animals.
Two, the conditions pet store animals are bred in are horrific.
Three, any animal you get through a pet store is pretty well guaranteed to have serious health issues due to overbreeding.

There's a few decent pet food stores in the area that carry innova and solid gold. Look around - a good pet store will sell nothing but fish, at the absolute most.

If you really want an animal, hit the humane society or Toronto animal services. Barring that, a responsible breeder (something else I could rant about for hours).

To us, it's one of two things: they don't feel that small animals need to be fed a proper diet because they're so easily replaceable, or they just aren't educated on what animals really should be eating. If either one applies, I don't see how someone could operate a pet store. I could understand if they offered both healthy and unhealthy options (since our very own grocery stores do so), but to completely ignore the healthy ones disturbs us quite a bit.

There is a third option......the market has told them that stocking high-end food is a money loser? Perhaps you are in a small group of people who have small animals and are aware that they too benefit from better quality food. Perhaps it is most people who buy small animals (and not the pet store owner) that have defined the market for their food....so, perhaps, stocking higher (ie higher cost) food on their shelves hoping that a caring owner of a smaller pet comes through their door has proven to be a money loser?

don't be so quick to assume the store does not know/care...they just probably don't want to lose money trying to cater to a fairly small niche market.

It may be off the beaten trail for you....but for anyone who is looking for a great selection of high end foods, without the high end prices......for both dogs and cats....the Kennel Cafe on Roncesvalles Ave. is amazing. The woman who owns it, Esther, is very knowledgeable about cat and dog food. I've been buying food for my cats and dog there for 3 years, now. Esther is a huge animal lover, having cats and a dog herself. She also brings in cats from Toronto Animal Services to increase their chances of being adopted and they roam the store. I know....lol...she talked me into adopting two. I think to date, she has adopted out close to 150 to 200 cats. She often invites Animal Services to her store to hold "adopt-a-thons". Not only do I get great food there, but I feel good helping to support homeless animals as she is a true animal lover who does much for the them.

There is a third option......the market has told them that stocking high-end food is a money loser? Perhaps you are in a small group of people who have small animals and are aware that they too benefit from better quality food. Perhaps it is most people who buy small animals (and not the pet store owner) that have defined the market for their food....so, perhaps, stocking higher (ie higher cost) food on their shelves hoping that a caring owner of a smaller pet comes through their door has proven to be a money loser?

don't be so quick to assume the store does not know/care...they just probably don't want to lose money trying to cater to a fairly small niche market.

I know this is from like 8 months ago but...

I agree that that very well could be the case, but in my experience many pet stores don't really know what is good for certain animals, especially those that many people consider to be "throw-away" pets. We've seen foods for hamsters and gerbils labeled as "for guinea pigs too" when that just isn't right. Pet stores should be have an educational component, and while I wouldn't expect someone to know everything about every animal, I would expect that they would know what an animal can and cannot have as part of its basic diet. To me, a good pet store would do that. I'll also say that Global Pet Foods, which stocks Oxbow products regularly runs out and orders new shipments all the time. So it's not like no one is buying these items, unless everyone is flocking to Global as the only place in the city that sells Oxbow (which would be quite sad actually since they're a very good inexpensive brand).

Last edited:
I've been shopping at the pet store at Queen and John. They stock a large variety of good quality food and litter. The place is packed.

There's another store at Niagara and Portland called Umbrella Pet Services, if you're on that end of the harbourfront. Good quality food, but it isn't cheap.

Back