1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 952     1 

Paul Martin 'till 2013, and Mills ready to resign

S

spmarshall

In the Globe today, Paul Martin is talking about staying in power for 10 years, which would make him 75 years old when he leaves. Yet Chretien was pushed out by the Martinites with one excuse being that he is too old. Chretien is three years older than Martin.

I've got to admit, the article doesn't make Martin look too bad. Martin still says he supports the decriminalization of pot pocession, and will likely uphold the court decsion on same-sex marriages. (That doesn't mean I like Martin anymore than before, though, as his other recent moves have disapointed me).

In related news, Dennis Mills looks like his is leaving politics by the next federal election. He would have faced Jack Layton in Toronto–Danforth. In today's Globe, a Consiberal insider said that Mills may not get strong party support anyway, because Mills is "not a team player", code for not being a Martin brownoser.

Mills seems to be a decent politican who has benefitted his community and this city. However, I look forward to having a resurgent NDP and Layton in the house, grilling the Martin Party.

In the recent municipal election Mills's candidate, Maureen Gilroy, came a very poor 3rd behind former Manitoba communist party leader Pauline Fletcher ( 39% ) and lesbian activist Chris Phibbs ( 26% ), so maybe he sees his local support fading fast and knows he'll have an uphill race to hold his seat...

Within the Liberal party, it's widely known that Mills is not a team player in any sense of the word. He does his own thing, and you can't rely on him to demonstrate loyalty. So, no one's going to go out of their way to save him from Layton unless they are sure that they can take out Layton.

That being said, I like Mills as a politician, and I think that this city will be worse off for losing him. Layton should have tried to pick off one of the other useless grits we have sitting around in this city.

Bye Bye Mills, you Vatican toady! No one will miss you.

Mills wingnut

Mills is against a woman's right to choose and gay rights. I was planning to volunteer hardcore to get rid of him. Good riddance.

Re: Mills wingnut

Man, such hostility... he did do some good you know.

Get out there and start organizing, janschot! The dreaded Mills has announced he'll run again.

Though Mills wasn't that bad, I'd rather have Layton. He's the real deal when it comes to a pro-urban, pro-transit agenda. If Mills wanted to leave politics, it would be a good time, for he could leave on a high note, for I doubt he'd have much power in the Martin government.

Good old Mills, the one who did the most to establish the TPA as an arms length Federal 'self financing' authority on the Toronto harbour. But that issue probably won't come up in the election. Against a womans right to choose and gay marriage, he's right in step with Toronto Danforth's values.

Back