News   Apr 18, 2024
 620     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Parks - new & revitalized

Downsview, of course, is not a City of Toronto Park. Its a Federal Park. A very odd beast it is. I agree there are lot of 'misses' in its design.

But some of fundamental issues around layout; and relationship to the subway are unlikely to be addressed.
If you haven't already, I would recommend getting in touch with the id8 Downsview folks - I've found them very responsive to suggestions etc, even when the park itself is not their responsibility.

They're working on improving connections and providing additional green space, amongst other things. But yes, this will take time. More info in the dedicated forum thread.

connections-map-new.jpg

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting in touch with the id8 Downsview folks - I've found them very responsive to suggestions etc, even when the park itself is not their responsibility.

They're working on improving connections and providing additional green space, amongst other things. But yes, this will take time. More info in the dedicated forum thread.

View attachment 345591

Good info! I happen to have been in touch and have been contributing to their process.

A report is heading to the next Infrastructure and Environment ctte mtg on Sept. 14th, addressing the state of the plan for new/expanded park space in downtown Toronto.

The principle report is here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-170300.pdf

The report itself, as well as attachments thereto contain some info worth a look-see, find some of that, below:

1631042465822.png

Note the above list is 48 new/expanded parks.........but totals a mere 9ha/23 acres.

So an average of under 0.5 acres (0.2 ha) per park!

Below, I will include the City's list of secured parcels with size.

Make a note that 10,000m2 is roughly 1 hectare/2.5 acres; and that's roughly what's required to furnish a sports field, assuming optimal shape.

1631042712873.png

1631042759324.png

Below I am bringing forward a list of Parks Projects that are planned/underway, showing their status, and timeline if any, as well as whether they are funded.

1631042886074.png

1631042905571.png

1631042947186.png

1631042993095.png

1631043021846.png

* note for University, what's funded is only the feasibility study, not an E.A., nor design, nor the actual project.

1631043047050.png

1631043136828.png

1631043160196.png

1631043200575.png

1631043222991.png

1631043244268.png

1631043268756.png

Requires 2nd post due to number of attachments. To be con't

Not sure this fits here but ...

clear.gif
This is a secure site
bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3442615863
Commodity:Professional Services, Architectural Services
Description:Architectural and Engineering Design and Contract Administration Services for New High Park Visitor Centre
----

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified prime architectural consultant and sub-consultant team that includes Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Landscaping, Sustainable, a qualified and licensed Heritage consultant, Cost and Accessibility Consultant and other specialized professionals, as required, to provide full architectural and engineering services related to the design and construction of the targeted net zero emissions building of the New High Park Visitor and Nature Centre, located at 367 Colborne Lodge Drive, Toronto, as required by the Capital Projects Unit of Parks, Forestry and Recreation (PF&R) Division of the City of Toronto on behalf of the Parks unit of Parks, Forestry and Recreation.

Not sure this fits here but ...

clear.gif
This is a secure site
bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3442615863
Commodity:Professional Services, Architectural Services
Description:Architectural and Engineering Design and Contract Administration Services for New High Park Visitor Centre
----

The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified prime architectural consultant and sub-consultant team that includes Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Landscaping, Sustainable, a qualified and licensed Heritage consultant, Cost and Accessibility Consultant and other specialized professionals, as required, to provide full architectural and engineering services related to the design and construction of the targeted net zero emissions building of the New High Park Visitor and Nature Centre, located at 367 Colborne Lodge Drive, Toronto, as required by the Capital Projects Unit of Parks, Forestry and Recreation (PF&R) Division of the City of Toronto on behalf of the Parks unit of Parks, Forestry and Recreation.

Seems like the sort of thing that should:

a) Wait for a fully updated Masterplan for High Park
b) Be the subject of a design competition.

1652370595360.png

Yes, I too had forgotten what this clock looks like...

clock.jpg

Unfortunately no sign of them fixing the fountain and water feature - frankly, more scenic than the clock! The fixing of the clock also seems VERY expensive as this is just the City portion, the BIA is paying an additional $100K.

View attachment 399890

Yes, I too had forgotten what this clock looks like...

View attachment 399891

Unfortunately no sign of them fixing the fountain and water feature - frankly, more scenic than the clock! The fixing of the clock also seems VERY expensive as this is just the City portion, the BIA is paying an additional $100K.

Is it that hard to find a waterproofing contractor and a plumber? That fountain was quite beautiful with the tall cascade of water and the "creek" that extended to Bay Street.

Last edited:
Is it that hard to find a waterproofing contractor and a plumber? That fountain was quite beautiful with the tall cascade of water and the "creek" that extended to Bay Street.
It was such an inspired postmodern urban park design (at least it inspired me in Arch school) with lovely, serene spaces layered onto a historical narrative that felt very genius locus for otherwise anodyne Toronto. A couple years ago I toured all my fave 80s/90's pomo parks w similar qualities: Trinity Sq., Courthouse Sq., Cloud Garden and the little Baird-Sampson designed Harbourfront Park between Music garden and Spadina Quay. All poorly maintained, essentially abandoned by Parks and/or otherwise unrecognizably altered (although the water was running in Courthouse Sq!). It was an important moment for the thoughtful evolution of urban spaces in Toronto, and a forgotten design legacy...

It was such an inspired postmodern urban park design (at least it inspired me in Arch school) with lovely, serene spaces layered onto a historical narrative that felt very genius locus for otherwise anodyne Toronto. A couple years ago I toured all my fave 80s/90's pomo parks w similar qualities: Trinity Sq., Courthouse Sq., Cloud Garden and the little Baird-Sampson designed Harbourfront Park between Music garden and Spadina Quay. All poorly maintained, essentially abandoned by Parks and/or otherwise unrecognizably altered (although the water was running in Courthouse Sq!). It was an important moment for the thoughtful evolution of urban spaces in Toronto, and a forgotten design legacy...

Great observations. All of those spaces were leaps forward for urban design in the city. It's sad how we lose great design in the city's public realm over time due to inexplicably poor maintenance.

Great observations. All of those spaces were leaps forward for urban design in the city. It's sad how we lose great design in the city's public realm over time due to inexplicably poor maintenance.
It’s not ‘inexplicably poor’. It’s because Mayor Tory has a low-tax-city policy, and Parks seems like a train wreck in terms of management (at least from the outside).

I mean, for Parks - just consider the fact that washrooms have basically been out of service since the pandemic started.

It’s not ‘inexplicably poor’. It’s because Mayor Tory has a low-tax-city policy

That is certainly a contributing factor; though, that problem began under Lastman, got worse under Miller and well..............

, and Parks seems like a train wreck in terms of management (at least from the outside).

This is accurate. There are some good people; but their systematic ways of doing things are anywhere from sub-par to bizarre.

I mean, for Parks - just consider the fact that washrooms have basically been out of service since the pandemic started.

No, this one you'd have to walk back, most parks washrooms were open for their normal hours throughout the pandemic.

The problem here, other than generally less than appealing washrooms, is that even pre-pandemic, hours were often limited, even in-season, and most washrooms were seasonal (as opposed to year round), which people became
more acutely aware of when you could no longer make use of the washrooms at your local Tim's or McDs.

Back