News   Apr 19, 2024
 491     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.7K     3 

Parkdale Village

Harry’s diner has been a Parkdale institution for over 50 years. Now it’s the end of its final chapter

By May Warren Staff Reporter
Tues., Aug. 20, 2019

Well at least there will be food trucks. Still, very sad to see it go.

That damn wine bar cafe finally opened. King Street at....Cowan is it....

Anyway, they were promising July. Looks nice. Haven't been. It's in the same building as Pharmacy. May or may not be my scene, but it's nice to see that block get filled up.

Whoah, went by McDonald's King Street today. Shut down! Thank the universe! That place was like the Mos Eisley Cantina of South Parkdale....also, it's McDonald's....what's to miss? Shitty food? Anyway, that building is half closed now in preparation for the glorious gentrification.

Too bad McDonald's is moving into a space just down the road, behind/underneath the new Longo's.

The death of McDonald's in Parkdale. Seeeeee ya!

Harry's in Parkdale has been reopened by former staff, and now named The Originals Dining Lounge.

Although it looks like at some point the entire building could be redeveloped in the future:

Yet the fate of the Originals restaurant is up in the air. There’s currently a demolition clause in the restaurant’s lease, and the owner of the building plans to knock it down eventually and redevelop.

But Andru isn’t too concerned at the moment. “There’s a lot of clauses with a lot of buildings because of condo developments. We could be here for another 10 years, who knows.”

Toronto council to review plans for housing, services in Parkdale

NEWS 06:00 AM BY DAVID NICKLE

Plans to eventually build a hub of community services and affordable housing in Parkdale will be going to Toronto council next week.

The so-called Parkdale Community Hub will, if it finally goes ahead, be made up of four city-owned properties at 1313, 1303 and 1325 Queen St. W. and 220 Cowan Ave. — and bring together a cluster of existing services into one co-ordinated complex.

The plan would see the Parkdale Library, the Parkdale Arts and Cultural Centre, the Masaryk-Cown Community Centre and the Toronto Parking Authority rebuilt together.

Because all of the properties will need significant investment over the next decade to maintain good repair, bringing them together as a “hub” of services is more efficient.

“There are five city properties, plus 22 community agencies that operate in them,” said local Parkdale-High Park Coun. Gord Perks. “It’s a chance for great synergies, so that someone who wants to talk to employment and social services, drop their kids off at the library and wants to do a workout at the gym can do it in a simpler way. Plus, by dealing with the buildings together we can add a few services and build more affordable housing.”

Housing on the hub would likely go at the 2303 Queen St. W. location in particular — with more details to follow in 2020 — and the plan would maintain or repair the nine live-work affordable rental units managed by Toronto Artscape.

In total, city staff estimate that the work and additional property acquisition will cost between $150 and $175 million.

Omfg........Comfort Zone has reopened in Parkdale. I guess this is the perfect district for that sort of thing. Not sure if it was a temporary thing for NYE or if it's permanent. Should know the next time I venture north to Queen Street in the middle of the night.

Of course, it has to be at the top of my street. ?
Never went to the original.....that shit is way too sketchy for me. Some of my friends had been and confirmed what I knew the place was like.

In other news.....Happy Coffee and Wine is super cool and cute.
Went there during the holidays and absolutely love it. They do coffee during the day and are a wine bar at night. They serve wines that you can't get at the LCBO and snacks that are interesting.
So glad that opened up on my block here. Now there's no need to leave Parkdale nor to go up to Queen Street to have a drink out.

Went back to Happy Coffee and Wine last night.....trust me, everyone should check the place out if passing by or if not too far to venture.

Just do it. They serve cocktails and some beers and ciders as well if wine isn't your thing (though if wine isn't your thing I don't know why we're friends).

They had also completely rotated their wine and cider list from two weeks ago which is pretty cool. Try new wines every other week? Nice one. Though, I wonder how often they do rotate their offerings. May be a monthly thing. I will deffo ask next time I'm there which may or may not be on Friday.
It's super cozy. Lit by candles and dimmed ceiling lighting. It's like nice and warm. It appeals to my primeval fire and cave soul.
You may like it as well.
The decor is very clean and wood. Beautiful aesthetic with the candles.
They are open M-Th til 4 and from 6 to midnight.
F-Sat til 4 and then from 6 to 2am
and closed on Sundays.
A very reasonable arrangement.

Highly recommend it. 5 stars. A1. Etc.

PS: No, I don't have a financial interest in the business.

PPS: I haven't been there during the day yet for a coffee and it will likely be a while before I make it there for such. Maybe some random Saturday afternoon...eventually.

Back