News   Jul 17, 2024
 72     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 706     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

Park Lawn Lake Shore Transportation Master Plan

^You may recall that ML actually rebuilt that bridge a couple of years ago…. it would be nice to see it used for something.

- Paul

I don't live in Etobicoke, so I don't follow too closely. I was aware of the plans for the new loop at Park Lawn, and extending 501 Humber services to there. But I'd completely missed the plans for a new tunnel that bypasses the existing Humber loop!

Good to see the dedicated ROW extended to Legion as well. Bit-by-bit, they Waterfront West LRT appears.
I don't live in Etobicoke as well, but do follow the development of this area and start shooting it when it was ending to being an Motel Strip.

Not sure what you are talking about about the current tunnel being move as the current one is remaining for streetcars and the cars will loop of Lake Shore to get to the new GO station and loop back onto the ROW to go either direction.

The loop stills needs to be further west, but better than the plan south-west corner one.

Unless there is a true ROW between Park Lawn and Legion that does away with the current left turn lane, stop the ROW at Park Lawn. TTC cannot build a full westbound platform because of that turning lane.

They want to make Park Lawn 2 lanes? Are they nuts? That defeats the whole purpose of the new street. The worst congestion in this area right now is Park Lawn accessing the Gardiner. The new Street will eliminate a bit of that, but not all of it. Especially for onbound Gardiner traffic which has to use Park Lawn.

Last edited:
^I wonder if they will add any restrictions to the fast food outlets on Park Lawn. Maybe they will finally have to enforce the parking restrictions in front of those coffee shops.

- Paul

They want to make Park Lawn 2 lanes? Are they nuts? That defeats the whole purpose of the new street. The worst congestion in this area right now is Park Lawn accessing the Gardiner. The new Street will eliminate a bit of that, but not all of it. Especially for onbound Gardiner traffic which has to use Park Lawn.
The suggested plan is 4B...
1624637447295-png.330384

In addition to "Street A", they want to extend Legion Road up to the Gardiner eastbound OFF ramp, and create a new north/south street to The Queensway. And, most importantly, a new transit hub that includes the Park Lawn GO Station and streetcar loop. Would the 80 QUEENSWAY and 66A buses use the new north/south street, why not.

Last edited:
interesting, seems the city doesn't want the relief road to connect directly to the gardiner, but it does make sense to just add another connection from queensway because that's largely what the relief road would be offloading... but it also means the entirety of 2150 would have a longer route out than originally proposed

considering the on ramp has lights, wouldn't it make sense to connect the relief road anyways? its not like they'd be waiting for traffic from the on ramp
The problem with connecting the westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp directly to the Relief Road is the Gardiner bypass traffic which is already a reported problem for the eastbound direction. Vehicles getting off at Park Lawn and then back on from the Brooker's Lane ramp skip the Gardiner queue but add congestion to the area.

I am not thrilled about two lanes on Park Lawn though. The City is going to have to push some serious Transportation Demand Management to reduce the demand through that section and maintain decent operations.

^66B will become a very important route with a counter clockwise loop all the way around Marine Parade Drive, linking the whole area to the GO station and linking GO to the areas to the north.

66A is still needed to connect the Stonegate community to the 501, but need not do the Marine Parade loop. Maybe go directly west on Lake Shore to the GO station.

- Paul

The problem with connecting the westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp directly to the Relief Road is the Gardiner bypass traffic which is already a reported problem for the eastbound direction. Vehicles getting off at Park Lawn and then back on from the Brooker's Lane ramp skip the Gardiner queue but add congestion to the area.

I am not thrilled about two lanes on Park Lawn though. The City is going to have to push some serious Transportation Demand Management to reduce the demand through that section and maintain decent operations.
the problem is that they need to service vehicles onto the Gardiner westbound. Even with TDM measure's, given the otherwise overall vehicle capacity in the area I really struggle to see Park Lawn not having issues. I believe previous reports had identified the need for 2 through lanes and a double left turn lane for Gardiner access. If they are retaining the double left I'm not quite as worried, but I do think they should be maintaining 4 lanes from at least the new east-west road and the westbound Gardiner on ramp, and really probably north to the Queensway.

Reducing Park Lawn down to 2 Lanes is frankly idiotic, and I find it's the city's way of cheapening out and escaping from extending and properly fixing up the Mimico Creek Path. If they did that, there would be no need for lane reductions on Park Lawn.

However I do like the new N/S street that's in the books around the Sobey's plaza on The Queensway. It's desperately needed to say the least.

the problem is that they need to service vehicles onto the Gardiner westbound. Even with TDM measure's, given the otherwise overall vehicle capacity in the area I really struggle to see Park Lawn not having issues. I believe previous reports had identified the need for 2 through lanes and a double left turn lane for Gardiner access. If they are retaining the double left I'm not quite as worried, but I do think they should be maintaining 4 lanes from at least the new east-west road and the westbound Gardiner on ramp, and really probably north to the Queensway.

Agreed, I personally think the current cross section on Park Lawn should be maintained (4 lanes). Park Lawn will maintain two northbound lanes between the Relief Road / South Ramp Terminal and the North Ramp Terminal, but then the left lane becomes a must exit to the Gardiner westbound on-ramp. To the north of that you're going to have some congestion with Park Lawn down to one lane up to The Queensway.

It would unquestionably be idiotic to remove 2 lanes from Park Lawn—that is a very busy road. The north-south cycle path network should be via the Mimico Creek valley in that area, not along the side of Park Lawn, and anything less that completing it up to the Berry Road path is a total cheapout.

In regards to the Humber Loop talk above, is a new tunnel mentioned in the report (no time to read it yet) or is the move speculation based entirely on that diagram (barely a map)… because if it is, it's way too crude a "map" to take at face value: that would be an incredibly expensive move, and HBS can be more inexpensively served by an increasingly frequent 66B.

PARK LAWN GO STATION

First Capital (FCR) has proposed to build a new GO Station to be developed in partnership with Metrolinx and located at the north end of the former Mr. Christie Cookie Factory, municipally known as 2150 Lake Shore Boulevard West. The proposed GO Station is envisioned to be on both sides of the Lakeshore West rail corridor, and both sides of Park Lawn Road in the City of Toronto. The proposed GO Station is anticipated to evolve into a multi-modal transportation hub that would provide improved local and regional transit access and connectivity. GO Transit currently operates train service along the Lakeshore West Corridor, from Union Station in Toronto to West Harbour in Hamilton and Niagara Falls. The Proposed GO Station has the opportunity to provide a stop along the Lakeshore West rail corridor between the Mimico and Exhibition GO Stations.

See link.

UPCOMING MEETINGS​

Public Meeting #2: August 27 – September 10, 2021
Due to COVID-19 and current provincial guidance on public gatherings, an online pre-recorded presentation has been posted in lieu of a public meeting. The pre-recorded presentation can be viewed below and includes information regarding potential impacts, proposed mitigation measures and monitoring requirements associated with the Project as a result of the impact assessments. You can also submit a question using our online platform until September 17, 2021. A Public Meeting Summary Report will be prepared and uploaded to this page once available.
Draft Environmental Project Report and Supporting Appendices

PARK LAWN GO STATION

First Capital (FCR) has proposed to build a new GO Station to be developed in partnership with Metrolinx and located at the north end of the former Mr. Christie Cookie Factory, municipally known as 2150 Lake Shore Boulevard West. The proposed GO Station is envisioned to be on both sides of the Lakeshore West rail corridor, and both sides of Park Lawn Road in the City of Toronto. The proposed GO Station is anticipated to evolve into a multi-modal transportation hub that would provide improved local and regional transit access and connectivity. GO Transit currently operates train service along the Lakeshore West Corridor, from Union Station in Toronto to West Harbour in Hamilton and Niagara Falls. The Proposed GO Station has the opportunity to provide a stop along the Lakeshore West rail corridor between the Mimico and Exhibition GO Stations.

See link.

UPCOMING MEETINGS​

Public Meeting #2: August 27 – September 10, 2021
Due to COVID-19 and current provincial guidance on public gatherings, an online pre-recorded presentation has been posted in lieu of a public meeting. The pre-recorded presentation can be viewed below and includes information regarding potential impacts, proposed mitigation measures and monitoring requirements associated with the Project as a result of the impact assessments. You can also submit a question using our online platform until September 17, 2021. A Public Meeting Summary Report will be prepared and uploaded to this page once available.
Draft Environmental Project Report and Supporting Appendices
From the Draft Environmental Project Report, a Concept plan of Park Lawn Go Station

1630555493244.png

1630555520145.png

Back