News   May 01, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Paris, ON: Another Heritage Preservation Victory

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may be pushing it, but there is news out of Paris, Ontario that a beautiful 1854 public building has been bought to turn into an arts centre. I include it here for two reasons 1) after the loss of the magnificent Alma College building in St. Thomas due to arson last October, this will rebalance the scale (a bit) 2) it is another example of a slowly growing list of arts groups partnering up with heritage groups to create what is becoming a corridor of design and performing arts spaces in largely intact boutique downtowns along the western fringe of the GTA.

Below are links to a short video describing the project and today's (09-02-09) newspaper announcement from the Brantford Expositor.

http://www.brantford.com/index.cfm?page=home&section=news&Id=838

Paris town hall buyer unmasked
Posted By MICHAEL-ALLAN MARION, EXPOSITOR STAFF
Updated 5 hours ago

Businessman Gabriel Kirchberger has been unmasked as the anonymous buyer of the Paris old town hall.

"How did you find out?" Kirchberger, the president of G. K. York Management Services, wanted to know Sunday when tracked down.

Last week, Brant County councillors had promised Deano Wilson Rouse, the champion of a bid to save the Gothic building on Burwell Street as a centre for artistic and cultural activities, that they would keep secret the identity of the prospective buyer and the details of his offer until a special council meeting this evening.

But the clerk's office put Kirchberger's name on the meeting's agenda package, which was released Friday.

"I can't believe they did that," he said. "I wanted to stay anonymous until that meeting because we have some details to finalize."

Despite the slipup, Kirchberger said he still intends to discuss his plans at council tonight at 7 o'clock.

He has offered to buy the building for $700,000 from current owner John Runnquist to save it from being torn down and to provide space for artistic and cultural organizations under affordable leasing arrangements.

"It is the oldest existing Gothic building of its kind in Canada," Kirchberger said. "You know, the two jail cells that were built in it are still there, and would make a good historical exhibit.

"I don't know how they could let this building be torn down. It would be a crime."

WANTS TAX EXEMPT STATUS

According to a tentative business plan, the ground floor would be made available for theatre productions and the antique auctions that have long graced the premises. There could also be room for the Brant Museum and Archives, which is in desperate need of more space.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

In his pitch to council tonight, Kirchberger said he will argue a case to give the property tax exempt status to keep the building affordable for the nonprofit organizations that hope to use it.

He said he agreed to co-operate with Rouse in her campaign to save the building because he can't bear the thought either that "something that grand" could be consigned to the wrecking ball.

He also said he is applying for federal and provincial grants to help finance the building's renovations.

Kirchberger has injected new life into several old buildings, including the parts of the Penman textile buildings in Paris and the Temple Building and Commercial Hotel in downtown Brantford.

Excellent bit of news. Of course the people in St. Thomas (the politicians and the businessmen at least, the citizens were in an uproar) don't appreciate what they've got. Paris doesn't have too much except the heritage - that's irreplacable.

For anybody who is interested in a Sunday drive Paris, Ontario is worth the trip. It remains very ungentrified.

I recall a photo thread on Paris done by Flar. It looked very nice, and made me want to visit. In fact, I'd like to do a mini tour of the towns on the Grand River one day. It's an area of Ontario that I've rarely, if ever visited.

Yeah. I suggest some people stop nit-picking so much. The mods decided that anything in the Toronto region is open for discussion here, and Paris qualifies. That's why the Niagara Falls and Waterloo Region projects are in the main P&C section and why things that happen in Barrie or Simcoe County also qualify.

Might want to change the title of the forums then. Greater Toronto discussion isn't really appropriate if we're including places like Niagara Falls and Paris.
That's not nit picking, that's just being accurate.

Paris has to be about the most scenic and consistently "historic" town within a reasonable drive from Toronto. A day trip down there to see the old stone buildings, most of which are in normal daily use, is certainly worthwhile.

GTA or not, thanks for posting this item.

Back