News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

I don't think we'll see the same level of delay with the trains as we saw with the Confederation Line Phase 1. These trains are pretty standard 'off-the-shelf' units, and it's not like the Swiss don't have experience dealing with extreme weather ranges.

If this project is going to be delayed at all, I would think it would be with the civil works.

The FLIRTs were modified (structurally) for the North American market, so I'm sure we'll see an article about how this specific assembly of parts has never operated anywhere else in the world /s

The FLIRTs were modified (structurally) for the North American market, so I'm sure we'll see an article about how this specific assembly of parts has never operated anywhere else in the world /s
Stadler has Flint cars in service in a number of US cities today and more are been built for them.

Stadler is building SF EMU Fleet. Stadler has a plant in Salt Lake UT.

Stadler has Flint cars in service in a number of US cities today and more are been built for them.

Stadler is building SF EMU Fleet. Stadler has a plant in Salt Lake UT.
The only FLIRTs running in the US are with TEXRail, though others have been ordered/are being built. The other Stadler vehicles in operation are GTWs.
The FLIRTs were modified to meet some new FRA requirements, or something. I can't remember the specifics.

Ottawa's FLIRTs are being built in Switzerland, of course.

For those who don't know, we've known for years that the vehicles were tested at the NRC. Photos were shown in presentations to council and tweeted by Alstom themselves of the vehicles during cold temperature tests.
The only new thing we learned is that the vehicles failed 4 of 39 tests, and that the ones which were failed were relating to water leaks which were fixed.

The title is hot garbage though since we have plenty of evidence showing trains being operated outside on the tracks last winter.

For those who don't know, we've known for years that the vehicles were tested at the NRC. Photos were shown in presentations to council and tweeted by Alstom themselves of the vehicles during cold temperature tests.
The only new thing we learned is that the vehicles failed 4 of 39 tests, and that the ones which were failed were relating to water leaks which were fixed.

The title is hot garbage though since we have plenty of evidence showing trains being operated outside on the tracks last winter.
The Flexity's were tested at NRC too in a chamber for extreme weather otherwise would be impossible to reproduce. That doesn't translate to streetcars failing due to bad weather all over Toronto streetcars although reliability is lacking. TTC however didn't put all their eggs in one basket and continued to bus substitutes for lower reliability while OC Transpo just pray for the best.

The media is just picking on something to write about. I truly think the construction of the track, infrastructure and maintenance aren't up to standard leading to failures than the LRVs themselves. Hopefully we won't see the Crosstown follow the footsteps of the Confederation Line.

It was quite a bargain, that line. Cost something like 21 million to build. Peanuts even in 2001 dollars.

I was hoping it would spur more transit agencies to consider using disused rail lines as transit, but its not always that easy. This abandoned line happened to be quite close to many points of interest.

The only other lines like this that I can think of are in California, with the San Diego Sprinter, and the SMART train north of San Francisco.

The Ion LRT does use a portion of the Waterloo Spur, but not exclusively.

Back