News   Apr 25, 2024
 628     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 766     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

And heck, Ottawa is still okay with street parking on Bank Street. That should tell you, how concerned the planners really are with traffic.
Of course you must know how much outrage from the Glebe there would be if anyone dared to try and touch street parking?

I've just agreed to disagree (with the 2006 plan pining), this circular argument has literally been going on for years.

Should add. This person is complaining about the Trillium Line not being interlined. But it's not any different than riders transferring onto Transitway buses today.

So really, what they're upset about is the fact that they aren't getting a one-seat ride from South Keys to the core. Ridership numbers and allocation of resources to maximum benefit be damned.

Something tells me they bought in to some developer's promise in the South. And are pissed the O'Brien hit the reset button on them.

Last edited:
Should add. This person is complaining about the Trillium Line not being interlined. But it's not any different than riders transferring onto Transitway buses today.

So really, what they're upset about is the fact that they aren't getting a one-seat ride from South Keys to the core. Ridership numbers and allocation of resources to maximum benefit be damned.

Something tells me they bought in to some developer's promise in the South. And are pissed the O'Brien hit the reset button on them.

How many transfers do you think are satisfactory for a city the size of Ottawa in order to reach downtown?

What do you think Toronto is doing? They are realizing that they cannot continue to be dependent on only one line to service the downtown core. Montreal understood this long ago.

Have I objected to building the Confederation Line in my comments? No I don't think so. Did I suggest that we build the Bank Street subway tomorrow? No, I don't think so. I am not sure what the skin would be off your nose if the Trillium Line were to be ever interlined into the downtown tunnel. I know it isn't going to happen, but nevertheless, you get very excited about objecting to it. So, 250,000 people might have a little easier journey into downtown. I don't get why this gets you so riled up.

On the subject of ridership, just remember Ottawa's plan is to force people to use the Confederation Line even if it is just for a couple of stops.

Ottawa's record on ridership has not been good since 2011. Modal share is falling significantly. I am not sure how the Confederation Line solves this when the city has implemented widespread service cuts on the buses that they are dependant on reaching the Confederation Line. Just remember the big caveat of rail transit. How is the last mile problem dealt with? This will determine how successful rail transit will be.

And no, I did not buy into a developer's promise. I know it is hard for you to believe but I am a long-time resident. It is now a big joke amongst my neighbours that we are actually just phantoms because apparently nobody lives in the south part of the city. I guess the one-third of Ottawa's population that will live south of the Confederation Line are not worthy of decent service. Other cities seem to understand that service should be delivered widely to grow ridership. Ottawa is now forgetting this.

Will tourists from Toronto, who are used to the 5± minute non-rush hour rapid transit headways, be comfortable using Ottawa's rapid transit, once it opens for service soon?

I don't know. Do those same tourists hold their nose at the thought of having to get on a bus rather than any much-vaunted rail-based transit?

If they do, maybe Ottawa doesn't need those tourists.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

@lrt's friend: Regulatory issues prevent run-through of the Trillium and Confederation lines. One is LRT, the other heavy rail. One is federally regulated, the other provincial. (There might be a complicating angle on this due to the NCR) There are waivers for the O-Train from Transport Canada to allow 'drivers' rather than 'engineers' to operate them, temporal separation is required. Many other details in the waivers also apply. Just checked my old records, that Transport Canada link is now dead, but here's a very informative page from the City:
http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/ttc/2002/12-04/ACS2002-TUP-TRN-0012.htm

Your question is discussed at Reddit here, albeit only a few posters are aware of the regulatory separation, and why:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/5jm4vw/connecting_trillium_line_with_confederation_line/

Addendum and Clarification: The "NCR" reference prior applies further than I thought:
[...]
The Ottawa Light Rail Transit System (OLRT) is considered in law to be a federal rail transportation undertaking; however, federal legislation and regulations have not been developed for application to municipal light rail systems, and Transport Canada is not organized administratively to provide active regulatory oversight for these kinds of municipal transit systems. As such, the City has been delegated the authority to:

 develop, implement and enforce a comprehensive regulatory framework for the safety and security of Ottawa Light Rail Systems;
 assume responsibility and accountability in respect of the development, implementation and enforcement of the regulations; and,
 establish procedures that require that compliance with the regulations be monitored and reported on by an independent internal auditor or other responsible City official.

This report outlines the framework through which the Transit Services Department and the City will fulfill its regulatory obligations under the Transport Canada Delegation Agreement (“Delegation Agreement”) and related legislation. This report also recommends the establishment of a Light Rail Regulatory Monitor and Compliance Officer (Compliance Officer) position to specifically address the Delegation Agreement requirement to have an independent internal auditor or other responsible City official to monitor and report on the City’s compliance with the OLRT regulations.
[...]
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache/2/kzdhyi4qk42fnxlc5shvfuss/30890509012018095706206.PDF

Very interesting. Regs still won't permit the through running connection between the two systems, but this regulatory angle is fertile for exploration. What's 'delicious' for me is that the Province *apparently* isn't involved at all. Federal jurisdiction trumps them, but also note this is a case (and this is a hot discussion now for Toronto 'dealing directly with the Feds' on some issues to spite QP) of a municipality doing exactly that, albeit it must be to conform with the National Capital Act.

I tripped across this paper looking for the disappeared yet again Transport Canada extensive examination of the O-Train. It first disappeared when Harper took power...it had 'sensitive' implications that Harper et al were uncomfortable with, but emerged again in TC 'Archives'. Here's quotes I saved:
Ottawa, Ontario
Summary
Organization

City of Ottawa — Transportation Utilities and Public Works Department, OC Transpo
Status

Started 2001, extended to 2005
Overview

[The O-Train was Ottawa’s first experience with light rail transit. The O-Train travels an 8-km track past five stations, two of which connect to the city’s bus rapid transit system (the “Transitway”), over two bridges and through a tunnel beneath Dow’s Lake. The line serves Carleton University, a major employment centre, and a shopping mall in a densely populated neighbourhood.

The O-Train was initiated to assess the technical feasibility of using an existing rail corridor for rapid transit, to validate expectations about ridership, performance and cost, and to allow proper analysis of possible larger-scale implementation.
[...]
The O-Train travels on an 8-km length of existing freight rail track, and connects to the city’s bus rapid transit system (the “Transitway”) on each end of the line. The existing corridor is owned by Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). The line serves Carleton University, a major employment centre, and a shopping mall in a densely populated neighbourhood.

The pilot project is unique by North American standards and involves four “firsts.” It is the first time that light rail
passenger trains had been mixed with heavy rail traffic on an existing rail network, and the first time passenger rail services had been operated by a single operator. In addition, this was the first time Bombardier Talent DMU trains had been used anywhere in North America, and the first trains driven by bus operators.
[...]
The O-Train was initiated to:

Assess the technical feasibility of using an existing rail corridor for rapid transit
Validate expectations about ridership, performance and cost
Allow proper analysis of possible larger-scale implementation
[...]
Negotiating an agreement with CPR. With no prior experience in light rail, the region needed considerable outside expertise to implement the pilot project. Municipal officials negotiated a lump sum build/design contract with CPR, which gave them access to CPR’s knowledge and experience and enabled the region to control the project costs and implement the service quickly.

Partner expertise. There were no examples in North America of a single operator passenger train, so municipal officials relied on the expertise of its partners to design and implement the O-Train. More than a dozen partners lent their experience and knowledge to the project. Some of them include:

CPR, as owner of the corridor, engaged Morrison Hershfield (an engineering and management firm) to manage the project. This included design and construction administration, upgrading the lines and maintenance facilities, and building the rail stations.
Bombardier provided and maintains the trains and, with AR Concepts, developed and installed the signaling system.
Transport Canada worked with the city to develop an operating plan that met federal legislation requirements under the Rail Safety Act. The plan includes operating rules, emergency procedures, employee training programs, and a Safety Management System.
[...]
The 8-km line. Prior to the O-Train project, the CPR freight line and its rail yard were seldom used and in poor condition. CPR upgraded the line to accommodate the O-Train, and no other trains use the track except when the O-Train is not operating.

The CPR track crosses two other active rail lines, making the signalling and braking systems (discussed below) important safety elements.
[...]
Bombardier Talent Diesel Multiple Units (DMU). Three Bombardier Talent DMU trains were commissioned. The trains were built in Germany and shipped first to Montreal before arriving in Ottawa in January 2001.

The trains use Clear No. 1 diesel fuel, which contains less sulphur than other grades. The trains comply with exhaust emission requirements of Euro-II contaminant standards (the standards set by the European Union).

Each train weighs 72,000 kg, is 48 metres long, with seating capacity for 137 passengers and standing capacity for 150.

Each train is equipped with two four-stroke diesel engines, water-cooled in-line motors, and a horizontal-shaft design with exhaust gas turbocharger and charge cooler. Top speed is 120 km/hr.
[...]
Recognition. The O-Train has won several awards:

Canadian Urban Transit Association’s Corporate Innovation Award (June 2002)
American Public Works Association’s Project of the Year Award (January 2003)
FCM-CH2M Hill Sustainable Community Award, in the sustainable transportation category (May 2003)

Participants

City of Ottawa
Transport Canada
Human Resources Development Canada
Canadian Pacific Railway
Canadian National Railway
VIA Rail
Carleton University
Public Works and Government Services Canada
National Capital Commission
Ottawa Police Services
Women’s Initiative for a Safe Environment
Transport 2000
Canadian Transport Agency
Local citizens and advocacy groups
[...]
The Bombardier trains were better suited for long distance commuter service. Although the trains were a good choice for this pilot project, as the city proceeds with a more in-depth Ottawa Rapid Transit Expansion Plan Study, alternative vehicles and propulsion systems will be studied. Several requirements including turning radius for inner city use, platform height, train acceleration and vibration would be problematic for downtown service. The new trains being studied are lighter and can be mixed with downtown traffic.
[...]
http://data.tc.gc.ca/archive/eng/programs/environment-utsp-otrainlightrailproject-973.htm

Got to point out that this is incorrect:
The pilot project is unique by North American standards and involves four “firsts.” It is the first time that light rail
passenger trains had been mixed with heavy rail traffic on an existing rail network, and the first time passenger rail services had been operated by a single operator. In addition, this was [...] the first trains driven by bus operators.
I believe the San Diego Trolley predated this by almost a decade, and the federally regulated track portion had catenary added too, the old Southern Pacific line to San Ysidro (and beyond) and still used temporally for freight on the San Diego Trolley used section.
The new trains being studied are lighter and can be mixed with downtown traffic.
Obviously they did have plans to build a single system using 'O-Trains'...but electrification must have severely complicated that. So who put the kibosh on the idea? Transport Canada?

Last edited:
There's an argument that could be made that the Trillium Line should remain heavy rail in case of the eventual need for broader commuter rail. It is the only heavy rail line left to run anywhere near downtown (and the only one that crosses into Gatineau) and while others have said that Tremblay could handle the role of "commuter hub" well (and it would, for any trains coming from the south), there's still the cross-river commuter traffic to consider.

Again, not anytime soon, but it's something to think a little about.

I don't think there's a clear answer how transit should serve the south-east part of Ottawa. The Trillium Line provides needed service to Carleton, but I don't think it's a good idea to make it the trunk service to the south-east. You then would have the west, south-west and south-east parts of Ottawa all feeding into downtown from a single line. Effectively service would be split along three lines to the west and only a single line to the west. Balancing service would be very difficult. Bank Street would be nice, but I have a feeling that ship has sailed long ago.

My gut feeling is that converting the South-East Transitway to light rail is the best long-term solution. Keep the Trillium Line largely as it is and instead extend the service into Riverside South/the Airport via the South-East Transitway through Hurdman to downtown. I have a feeling, though, that as long as the Trillium Line exists, people will try to find a way to make it work in that role instead.

How many transfers do you think are satisfactory for a city the size of Ottawa in order to reach downtown?

For a city of Ottawa's massive geography, depending on starting point, 2-3 is just fine. Most riders will have a single transfer in Ottawa (bus to LRT). Some will have 2 (bus-lrt-lrt). This is still less total transfers than most cities with metro systems.

I am not sure what the skin would be off your nose if the Trillium Line were to be ever interlined into the downtown tunnel. I know it isn't going to happen, but nevertheless, you get very excited about objecting to it. So, 250,000 people might have a little easier journey into downtown. I don't get why this gets you so riled up.

To start off with, not all 250 000 people in Ottawa South are heading downtown. Next, not all are reliant on the Trillium Line. Lots will also be travelling by the Southeast Transitway with a forced transfer at Blair. But somehow, that is okay with you but a transfer at Bayview is a problem?

Personally, I have nothing against interlining were it possible. But looking at 3 min frequencies on the Confederation Line, that looks pretty challenging. Aside from all the issues of compatibility. So really, this comes down to you asking for a degradation of service on the Confederation Line to eliminate a single transfer for a fraction of transit users.

Ottawa's record on ridership has not been good since 2011. Modal share is falling significantly. I am not sure how the Confederation Line solves this when the city has implemented widespread service cuts on the buses that they are dependant on reaching the Confederation Line.

Congestion on the core of the network and crap bus service will limit ridership. That's why it's really good that the old plan was not carried forward. Fixing that congestion will reduce travel times, particularly in the East. And since the Confederation Line replaces the routes with the most riders at launch, those freed up buses can be deployed to improve feeder service, which only gets better after Stage 2.

Just remember the big caveat of rail transit. How is the last mile problem dealt with? This will determine how successful rail transit will be.

I agree. Which is why putting resources towards priorities which don't let you redirect buses to feeder services is boneheaded.

I guess the one-third of Ottawa's population that will live south of the Confederation Line are not worthy of decent service.

Because a transfer at Bayview for the small proportion that takes the Trillium Line somehow makes the it not "decent service"? You expect people to take you seriously with hyperbole like that?

Other cities seem to understand that service should be delivered widely to grow ridership.

Other cities don't throw good money after bad and double down on lower ridership corridors.

Sorry, but other systems do throw good money at low ridership line for high order.

Transferring is a fact of life, as single seat rides does not fit everyone trip needs, as well taking longer to do it.

I should had made a video of the transit at "Bay" Bus Stop off peak, to show why an LRT is need.

I am not surprise to see this, as it was my assessment based on what I was seeing first hand for the first time that the line wouldn't see service until 2019, regardless doing 7/24 work.

I am about a day or so from having photos on line for the line.

Alstom is behind schedule to have all cars for service in Nov, if the line does start.

Ottawa's light rail transit delayed once again

With regards to a Bank St Subway, my preference would actually be to run on the Trillium Line tracks from the Airport to Carleton, then veer under the Canal and surface in the median of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway. The line can run on the surface beside the Canal, then head into a tunnel at Pretoria. Veer around the Museum of Nature, then head north of Bank into Downtown, terminating at a T-station at Parliament.

While this does cut out the section of Bank St from Billings to the Queensway, the Glebe is still served on the far eastern end, as is Lansdowne Park. Plus, visitors would have a great view of the Canal as they head into downtown. It would also save at least a billion in tunnelling costs.

That is a great idea, there used to be tracks along the canal.

But....NCC.

It will have to be NCC-fancy and possibly wireless PRIMOVE type technology in that section, since NCC removed tracks to beautify the canal in those days. It would have to be a very pretty canal LRT running slightly slower as nobody will put up with fences at the canal. NCC forced the burial of a section of Phaee 2 LRT, and that was in a location with fewer tourists.

That is a great idea, there used to be tracks along the canal.

But....NCC.

It will have to be NCC-fancy and possibly wireless PRIMOVE type technology in that section, since NCC removed tracks to beautify the canal in those days. It would have to be a very pretty canal LRT running slightly slower as nobody will put up with fences at the canal. NCC forced the burial of a section of Phaee 2 LRT, and that was in a location with fewer tourists.

Yes, the NCC is definitely a concern. I had envisioned the N-S LRT being more of a streetcar type of operation as opposed to the Light Metro that the Confederation Line is, since the extra capacity won't be as required. With that in mind, the QE Drive could be reconstructed with LRT in the median for the stretch along the Canal, or potentially between the road and the Canal (in order to not impede vehicle movements).

The NCC is big on showcasing the Capital though, and what could be better than the train from the Airport taking you right alongside the Canal on your way into Downtown?

Vehemently disagree. Tracks along the canal. Why? Most of those neighbourhoods are nice fancy rich hoods. And they will never densified. Let's be honest.

My preference is simple.

1) Twin track the Trillium Line.
2) More capacity needed from the South? Convert the Southeast Transitway.
3) Still need more? Bank St. subway. 8 km from Queen to Greenboro.

Good enough.

Back