News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

But that's the problem, the maximum capacity of the crosstown was calculated with that 250 passengers per vehicle — 250 passengers per vehicle * 3 vehicles per train * 20 trains per hour = 15,000 passengers per hour. A line opening with capacities that are supposed to be 2/3s of this peak load of 15,000 passengers is unreasonable, especially for a brand new line.
The 2031 peak-point capacity is 5,500. If they say they can do 15,000 an hour with 3-minute intervals, but really it's only 9,000 an hour, it's still very well above demand. So there's no real issue here.

Obviously 750 passengers for a 90-metre trains isn't realistic ... TTC only uses 670 for the 92-metre Line 4 trains, which are significantly wider!

Does that dwell time include train deceleration and acceleration?

My understanding from those who'd worked on the project is that no, it doesn't. The "doors open" time was calculated to be some abnormally high number as everyone gets used to the system. It would then come down to something seen as more reasonable after several months of operation.

Dan

My understanding from those who'd worked on the project is that no, it doesn't. The "doors open" time was calculated to be some abnormally high number as everyone gets used to the system. It would then come down to something seen as more reasonable after several months of operation.
Hopefully that plays out well. When the Trillium Line was last upgraded, it was promised that trains would come every 8 minutes. They eventually found that they could only do frequencies of every 12 minutes and that they'd bring it down as the new system matured, but that never happened and as an end result we'll be stuck with 12-minute frequencies for the next 20-30 years.

Paris, the origin of the "metro" term, takes issue with door buttons not being allowed on a metro.

Im Ok with Paris' implementation. Quick doors that are no nonsense. None of this automated and sensor overtechnical crap. if youre too slow, sorry, youre getting off at the next station/getting on the next train.

Love it!

One more, this time the westbound trains started to be held as I was watching, hence the glacial pace they enter the station. I don't really know why they were being held though.

Just a little rendering versus reality. Looks like things came out pretty well compared to the concept

NORM-LI-AG-I150116_BAYVIEW-2-1024x576.jpg

D-1XDk6XkAUy7WU

Last edited:
So despite a prediction of doom from your truly, it seems the news is positive. I really want to believe this time, though it's hard with 4 promises of "we're just about done!" come and gone

So despite a prediction of doom from your truly, it seems the news is positive. I really want to believe this time, though it's hard with 4 promises of "we're just about done!" come and gone

Fingers crossed for you guys. I hope to be there for the opening when it finally comes...

Back