News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

In other news, they have been running full service simulations for the past few days (i e from 5am to 1am, exactly as scheduled if it was in service ). This is apparently a 6 day dry run, but not the official 12 day test required for handover.

This LRT system in Ottawa sounds flawed just about in every way possible: future water leakages in tunnels, vehicles that will have reliability issues in the winter, track issues, etc...

I sure hope they have a good plan in place for the many potential service interruptions that are line for the future.

This LRT system in Ottawa sounds flawed just about in every way possible: future water leakages in tunnels, vehicles that will have reliability issues in the winter, track issues, etc...

I sure hope they have a good plan in place for the many potential service interruptions that are line for the future.
You're overblowing a lot of those issues.

Water leakages don't cause service interruptions, and RTG (or rather, RTM) has to deal with the maintenance for the next few decades anyway.
The vehicles don't have reliability issues in the winter, it was a track maintenance issue (i.e. not enough plows) and it's been addressed.
Track issues in the yard aren't the same as track issues on the mainline, plus it was an error in switch operation that caused the derailment, not something inherently wrong with the track.

There isn't a "great" plan for service replacements. They can't keep a fleet of buses on standby (not after the first few weeks anyway) just to pick up service if an issue comes up on the line. I mean, what city does?

Any underground tunnel will have water leakage, especially when it is under the water table. They have to expect it and know how to flow and pump it out of the tunnels. Just like in Toronto, there would be buried streams that because today's sewers. Sewers (and buried streams) that end up over the LRT tunnels.

Water seepage would be especially bad this year, based on the reports of flooding along the Ottawa River.

Any underground tunnel will have water leakage, especially when it is under the water table. They have to expect it and know how to flow and pump it out of the tunnels. Just like in Toronto, there would be buried streams that because today's sewers. Sewers (and buried streams) that end up over the LRT tunnels.
The tunnel was supposed to be built with a waterproofing layer and apparently it was botched, hence the leakage.

The Dow's Lake tunnel (that runs right under the Rideau Canal) here in Ottawa also leaks, and the water is pumped out accordingly. I don't expect the downtown tunnel to be any different!

You're overblowing a lot of those issues.

Water leakages don't cause service interruptions, and RTG (or rather, RTM) has to deal with the maintenance for the next few decades anyway.
The vehicles don't have reliability issues in the winter, it was a track maintenance issue (i.e. not enough plows) and it's been addressed.
Track issues in the yard aren't the same as track issues on the mainline, plus it was an error in switch operation that caused the derailment, not something inherently wrong with the track.

There isn't a "great" plan for service replacements. They can't keep a fleet of buses on standby (not after the first few weeks anyway) just to pick up service if an issue comes up on the line. I mean, what city does?
It has been mentioned numerous times that officials are worried about the reliability of vehicles (ie: door malfunctions, panels becoming loose, etc..) so i'm not sure where you're getting your it's "only" a track maintenance issue due not enough snowplows"thing from.

Track issues in the yard are a significant issue, because i'm sorry that's where vehicles are dispatched from day in and day out. Torontonians are well versed with vehicles being unable to enter/exit the yard when they are supposed to (ie: they cause significant service distruptions).

Yes water leakages are not uncommon but when they are potentially severe and when these are already known concerns before a line even opens, then yes they can be a significant issue down the line (ie: the line can be shut down in parts to address the issue depending on the extent of the issues).

Just remember these guys building the LRT in Ottawa aren't professionals. No one seems to have any experience with building, commissioning and operating a LRT in harsh Canadian weather.

It has been mentioned numerous times that officials are worried about the reliability of vehicles (ie: door malfunctions, panels becoming loose, etc..) so i'm not sure where you're getting your it's "only" a track maintenance issue due not enough snowplows"thing from.

Track issues in the yard are a significant issue, because i'm sorry that's where vehicles are dispatched from day in and day out. Torontonians are well versed with vehicles being unable to enter/exit the yard when they are supposed to (ie: they cause significant service distruptions).

Yes water leakages are not uncommon but when they are potentially severe and when these are already known concerns before a line even opens, then yes they can be a significant issue down the line (ie: the line can be shut down in parts to address the issue depending on the extent of the issues).

The media went specifically digging for dirt and really played up on it. The fact checking was a bit suspect too, one story claimed they had never run a double train despite most posters over on the SP forum seeing them for over a year with their own eyes, ignoring the videos, tweets and photos online.

That's hardly to say that everything is peachy, but the doom and gloom is a bit over the top.

That's what the media said, not officials.
CBC blew the whole snow thing out of proportion and now more than half the city thinks the trains will stop working at the first snowfall, which as demonstrated over the last 2 months, is absolutely not the case. The doors and panels are the same.

Again, it was a switch operation error, not something inherently wrong with the yard's tracks.
Human error is far more addressable and not as big of an issue as inherent problems with the tracks.

At the moment there's no indication that this would be the case. If a closure is ever absolutely required, it could be planned well in advance. There'd be no need for any emergency replacements, or anything like that (which is where there is no real plan).

Before anyone else posts this video here, all of the pump equipment shown is for the CSST (Combined Sewer Storage Tunnel) which is a completely separate tunnel project going on in Ottawa.

Just remember these guys building the LRT in Ottawa aren't professionals. No one seems to have any experience with building, commissioning and operating a LRT in harsh Canadian weather.

surely sarcasm, right?

Or do Edmonton and Calgary not exist to you

Back