News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

I'm not a huge highway lover, but I really think that this is needed. It creates a great link across the Western GTA, and could be used to take trucks coming down the 400 and heading towards London off the 401 within the central GTA. This project is going to be controversial however, as environmental groups won't like its vicinity to the Greenbelt.

Wonder if they'll sneak in a "cold opening" of the line. No publicity, no announcements, no signage. Just open the doors and let the wondering explorers use whatever comes into the stations.

Wonder if they'll sneak in a "cold opening" of the line. No publicity, no announcements, no signage. Just open the doors and let the wondering explorers use whatever comes into the stations.
Nope.

Got to have the ribbon cutting and do the PR thing.

I sure the city has learn a few things from this mess to make sure it doesn't happen on other phases.

I'd cut KW some slack. They did everything right. It was built on time. In that case, it was Metrolinx who was supposed to provide the vehicle who failed them.

I'd cut KW some slack. They did everything right. It was built on time. In that case, it was Metrolinx who was supposed to provide the vehicle who failed them.

I wasn't talking blame, more that the confed line problems seem to pale in comparison. While it's annoying to see the confed line stations seemingly glacially move towards completion months behind schedule, people in KW have been staring at a fully complete line for over a year without enough trains to actually run it. In Edmonton they stared at a complete line for more than a year, then suffered trains moving at a snail's pace for another couple of years, and that saga still isn't over.

I wasn't talking blame, more that the confed line problems seem to pale in comparison. While it's annoying to see the confed line stations seemingly glacially move towards completion months behind schedule, people in KW have been staring at a fully complete line for over a year without enough trains to actually run it. In Edmonton they stared at a complete line for more than a year, then suffered trains moving at a snail's pace for another couple of years, and that saga still isn't over.

To be absolutely fair, we still don't know what we don't know. There's no telling what might develop with Ottawa. I am optimistic. But we can't be sure until this thing is in service, how it will run and what issues it may have.

Rideau Transit Group receives one-day extension to announce LRT handover date

From link.

The announcement of the oft-delayed “handover date” for the city to officially take possession of the LRT system will have to wait at least one more day.

The Rideau Transit Group was to have told city officials by Wednesday’s deadline when it could deliver the completed LRT system.

The deadline passed quietly, with city officials waiting until nearly 5 p.m. Wednesday to confirm they had granted the RTG consortium a one-day extension to Thursday.

The extension came at RTG’s request, according to Michael Morgan, the city’s rail construction program director.

“City staff will review the new date and respond to RTG,” Morgan said in an email. “Staff will provide an update to council following the review of the new (handover) date.”

This is the third time a deadline has passed after the original handover date was set for May 2018, then extended to November, then January.

The $2.1-billion, 12.5-kilometre system was originally supposed to have begun carrying passengers some time in the middle of 2018 — the city was always vague about an exact handover date — until eventually the city and RTG settled on Nov. 2 as the day the city would take possession. That would have meant the trains would be running by the end of November.

Then, on Sept. 10, the city’s transportation general manager, John Manconi, announced that even that date wouldn’t be met. RTG had tried to convince the city to take possession while the train network was still incomplete — an offer the city refused. The system still required extensive testing and the north entrance to the Rideau Station would not have been complete.

“I think they want me to flinch and I’m not flinching,” Manconi said at the time.

The first contracted handover date was May 24, 2018, though the June 2016 sinkhole on Rideau Street has been cited as the main reason why the LRT system couldn’t be finished on time.

Tunnelling in wet, sandy soil led to a collapse that ruptured a water main and flooded the Rideau Street station. It took 3,000 cubic metres of concrete to fill the hole and stabilize the tunnel enough that construction could resume.

The city estimates the LRT delay has cost $25 million in extra busing costs and lost fare revenue. It’s unclear if RTG will pick up that tab. The consortium faced a $1-million fine for failing to meet one of its earlier deadlines, but the city chose not to impose the penalty.

Rideau Transit Group is a consortium of more than a dozen firms in charge of building and outfitting the LRT, including construction heavyweights EllisDon and SNC Lavalin and trainmaker Alstom.

The 13-station east-west Confederation Line runs between Tunney’s Pasture and Blair Road.

Guess the banks were closed yesterday. lol

Last edited:
Has work started on Phase II yet? I always worry that delays with the first phase will affect later developments.

Planning and engineering yes, but nothing substantial beyond that to the best of my knowledge. A lot of the staging planned for Stage II requires the vehicles (and drivers) declared surplus upon the opening of the first part of the line.

Dan

Planning and engineering yes, but nothing substantial beyond that to the best of my knowledge. A lot of the staging planned for Stage II requires the vehicles (and drivers) declared surplus upon the opening of the first part of the line.

Dan

Ah, that makes sense. But does this also apply to the southern extension of the Trillium Line?

Dan

Yeah, the Transitway and road closures for the western portion of Phase II are going to substantially affect schedules. The closures are likely to be:
  • SJAM Parkway from Carling to the Champlain Bridge
    • Likely alternative: Richmond Rd
  • SW Transitway from Lincoln Fields to Baseline
    • Likely alternative: Woodroffe Ave
  • West Transitway from Pinecrest to Moodie
    • Likely alternative: Hwy 417
The detours are mostly onto city streets, which will be substantially slower than the Transitway. For a lot of these riders, the speed of the LRT into/through downtown will be largely negated by these detours.

Yeah, the Transitway and road closures for the western portion of Phase II are going to substantially affect schedules. The closures are likely to be:
The detours are mostly onto city streets, which will be substantially slower than the Transitway. For a lot of these riders, the speed of the LRT into/through downtown will be largely negated by these detours.

What route will the suburban express buses take to get to Tunney's Pasture from places like Barrhaven and Kanata? I could see them running non-stop to TP from Bayshore, Lincoln Fields, or Baseline, with connections with buses making stops in between, but there's no easy route from the Queensway - up Kirkwood ? Parkdale? Or jam them on the Ottawa River Parkway Sir JAM? That's going to be fun.

Ah, that makes sense. But does this also apply to the southern extension of the Trillium Line?

It seems to, yes.

They seem to have a pretty good handle on that. Yes, it will be slower, but it doesn't seem to be overly so. https://www.stage2lrt.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FIN_Scott_Detour_Presentation.pdf

Dan

Back