News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

Ottawa MLS bid and Kanata stadium proposal

Some people never learn eh? I am so glad I left that city. Now I can return with the boys in red to see them stomp all over these would-be rivals of ours. :)

Man, BMO Field's biggest handicap is it's name, if anything. It's not the prettiest (it IS a bloody cheap-out, as has been mentioned), but it's our home and as a homeless person loves their box/sleeping bag/tent, I love our BMO Field.

+1 ... Love the place and the experience in going to a footy game on the Go Train from Long Branch.

Feels very european.

Ottawa team likely won't happen because of their stadium proposal.

MLS HQ has said they're not down with the suburban stadiums and to have a club enter with one is not something they'd want.

That's good news. The Melnyk push to get a stadium in Kanata was a fiasco in the making.

Ya, seriously.

This reminds me of when a buddy of mine and I would argue about which of Kanata and Vaughan was the biggest suburban wasteland in the province.

At least Kanata started out with "planned community" pretensions. So at worst, it's comparable (at least in its earlier parts) with Erin Mills/Meadowvale more than Vaughan...

At least Kanata started out with "planned community" pretensions. So at worst, it's comparable (at least in its earlier parts) with Erin Mills/Meadowvale more than Vaughan...

He would argue that Kanata was the bigger wasteland and I that Vaughan was. I always thought I was right as I had been to both whereas he hadn't (he was an Ottawa local).....and I still think I'm right, though, Kanata DOES scare me all the same.

Wait a minute....all of Ottawa scares me. :)

He would argue that Kanata was the bigger wasteland and I that Vaughan was. I always thought I was right as I had been to both whereas he hadn't (he was an Ottawa local).....and I still think I'm right, though, Kanata DOES scare me all the same.

Wait a minute....all of Ottawa scares me. :)

That doesn't really make a lot of sense. The two are quite different. As for as suburbs go, Kanata isn't bad, and parts (Beaverbrook, old Katimavik) are quite well planned.

I'm just not so sure Kanata is a good location for a soccer stadium - that's all.

It wasn't ever really a valid discussion of sorts between us; just general ribbing.

I think it was more along the lines of Kanata being the Vaughan of Ottawa and us trying to see who had it worse or somesuch.

Yeah, you're right, the fact remains that sticking a stadium out there beside the Corel/Scotiabank/corporate whore of the month Centre is a horrible idea regardless of the merits of Kanata and will prevent Ottawa from being able to join MLS. I think it's a good thing that something like that might preclude them from membership; make them get their act together and put forward a real proposal, and something more central which is what the league HQ has been asking for.

Back