News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Ottawa "Gives Up"

Wow. The writer goes out of his way to ignore the Byward Market neighbourhood, which rivals even Toronto's best neighbourhoods. He ignores Elgin St and the Glebe, and for some reason he hates Centretown. He chastises the city for not doing anything, and then attacks it for building a new pedestrian bridge right downtown (that bridge is in the perfect spot, btw, and is very well used). And who are we to tell Saudi Arabia and Kuwait that, sorry, you can't build on that land you own because we want one of the good countries to have it?

That's not to say that Ottawa's immune from criticism. The city council is dysfuncional, the CBD is uninspiring at best, and the best parts of the city seem to have happened in spite of the NCC, not because of it. But despite any good points this guy may have stumbled upon, the article is a load of crap.

In general, I think my hometown is underappreciated. Byward Market is probably even more vibrant than any neighbourhood in Toronto and Elgin and Bank are decent retail streets. Parliament Hill, the river and the canal are absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, beyond a small portion of the downtown core, the rest of the city is pretty crappy. And recent decisions to locate the train station and the hockey arena in the middle of nowhere, as well as the cancellation of the O-Train expansion prove that the city is still a small-minded car-oriented small town.

Ok, so he compares Ottawa to... Cetinje; which for the record is pronunced nothing like set-in-ya, it's is prounced tseti-nye. Huge difference. Cetinje is a cute little burg, but I've really no idea as to what kind of comparison he has in mind. May as well compare Toronto with Attard (Malta) or something.

The article is a perfect reminder why I never buy the Citizen.

Ottawa has problems, that is true. And it has made mistakes in the past. But, so has every Canadian city. Since the 50's and basically up until only very, very recently, Canadian cities have neglected their central areas and made all kinds of choices that, at the time may have seemed enlightened (urban expressways, urban renewal, megablock development, etc) but turned out to bad in retrospect. Ottawa is not the only city that has had to deal with an uninspired CBD (I remember my trips to Toronto in the 80's and it was hardly a part of the city that exuded any great life). But in the end, Ottawa has no more or no less problems then any other Canadian city, just some that are also unique because it is the capital.

Articles like this are really getting tiresome. If you don't like Canadian cities, if you somehow feel offended by them, if they bother you that much to inspire such juvenille rage, then try someplace else (one of the benefits of being born in Canada is that you have the freedom to leave and go pretty much wherever you want). At the very least try to write useful criticisms, or, even better, hop on the bandwagon of the growing number of people and organizations that are actually working on making Canadian cities better.

The area around the National Art Gallery (also not mentioned) is lovely. The office district is dull, but is typical of many mid-sized cities. Bank Street isn't that bad, and yeah, no mention of Byward and the Glebe, or Westboro, or Gladstone Street, which I find interesting.

Though he's right on most of what he criticises. But you can't blame Ottawa on the US Embassy Fortress, or the Kuwait or Saudi embassies. The National Capital Commission has built lovely parkways and parks, but was instrumental in such stupid ideas as the railway station removal, advocating the removal of the streetcar system and such.

And I must keep coming back and blaming David Jeanes and friends.

They were so angry over tax increases -- after years of a tax freeze -- that they threw out their moderate mayor in 2006, the first time an incumbent had lost in memory. They replaced him with an amiable self-made entrepreneur who had never been to City Hall and wants the city run like a business. His inspiration for the city is not to raise taxes: to keep him honest he hired the former head of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation as his chief of staff.

Good work David! If you had let the light rail plan go, without messing it up, there might have not been the backlash that got O’Brien elected.

Everyone: I visited Ottawa back in 1985 myself. To me it was an interesting Capitol City. I remember a good portion of the nightlife was over in Hull,Quebec due to a lower drinking age as well as later closing times. By day it was an interesting and clean city to do some obvious tourist attractions as well as sitting in for one Question and Answer session in Canada's Parliament as an example. The out of the way location of the VIA Rail station was a sore spot to me as I spent much time traveling by train back then. LI MIKE

I'm not too bullish on the future of our capital to be honest.

Most people aren't. I think the biggest challenge Ottawa faces is getting control over its city. It might be the capital and in the past it made sense to spend a lot of energy trying to create a proper image for Ottawa. Now though, I think that aspect really needs to wind down. I think the NCC needs to take inventory of what it has built, what is in progress, and perhaps add a few more projects (I would really love to see a train station downtown again and that would be a project the NCC could be involved in and a nice way to start fading away). But beyond managing existing capital areas most of the city needs to be turned over to the people that actually live in it. That alone would do a lot to reconnect people with the city and a city with active citizens is almost always bound to be a better one.

A few rebuttals in The Globe...

Who you callin' ugly?
SARAH TAYLOR
May 15, 2007

Ottawa -- It is a sad truth that much of Ottawa, like most Canadian cities, is architecturally hideous (The Non-Glories Of Our Nation's Capital - May 14). But in saying that Ottawa has no recent architecture of merit, Lawrence Martin overlooks the War Museum, the National Gallery and the Museum of Civilization. Not to mention many lower-profile projects successfully marrying old and new, such as the main tourist information centre or the condo-ized former City Archives building. And please spare us condescending assumptions that Ottawa is dull because civil servants are dull. Duller than whom - accountants on Bay Street and insurance adjusters in Calgary?

The non-glories of our nation's capital
LAWRENCE MARTIN
May 14, 2007

Say it isn't so, good people of Ottawa.

Say you haven't turned the nation's capital, as some sushi-loving author claims, into an eyesore - a cement box that has suffered "the desecration of a generation."

Tell us your National Arts Centre isn't "reminiscent of a Stalinist detention centre," your central library isn't "held together by chicken wire and duct tape." Tell us that Andrew Cohen is way off when he labels Bank Street seedy and scruffy, "a varicose vein." Or Rideau Street "a pastiche of tattoo parlours, shawarma shops, gas stations and money marts patronized by drifters."

Tell us you're not "a town without climax."

The accusations are all laid out in a hair-raising chapter in The Unfinished Canadian, Mr. Cohen's new book.

The tome has outraged the city's principal newspaper, the Ottawa Citizen, which immediately denounced the author as an elitist, one among that breed who "measure quality of life with caviar spoons." Its editorial screamed: "Andrew Cohen is wrong." So what if "we have too much shawarma and not enough sushi for Mr. Cohen's taste?" The paper is currently running a series of rebuttals.

Wonderful! And good on Mr. Cohen for getting out the wrecking ball.

As regards our architectural plight, something was needed to break the silence. And Mr. Cohen's jackhammer does just fine.

Yes, he's way over the top on some things. Yes, Ottawa is clean and pretty at its centre. Yes, it's an outdoorsy and highly livable capital. But with many of his piercing appraisals, Mr. Cohen hits the mark.

Ottawa lives off its natural splendours - the canal, the river, the Gatineaus. It lives off vintage architectural glories. It has, as Mr. Cohen points out, the Gothic beauty of the parliamentary precinct and other jewels such as the Château Laurier.

Like so many Canadian cities, Ottawa's architectural prestige lies in the old cathedrals, provincial legislatures and CN hotels. They were built a century ago or more. The question is: What's happened to us in the past five decades?

To accommodate a growing bureaucracy, Ottawa "has thrown up monstrosities designed by the cum laude graduates of the School of Brutalism," separated by "an elevated expressway that cuts through the city like a rusting hacksaw." Mr. Cohen shouldn't have stopped at Ottawa. He should have got out his caviar spoons and taken a run at Toronto's appalling downtown canyons as well. But as the country's capital, Ottawa does merit particular attention.

The Sparks Street pedestrian mall is run-down, empty after 6 p.m. and listing with souvenir shops. The city's arts centre is, indeed, one of the ugliest buildings in existence. Its entrance is symbolically located - at the rear end. Carleton University is generously described by Mr. Cohen as a campus of "remarkably insipid buildings." Not to be forgotten are the geniuses who put the hockey arena 30 kilometres outside the downtown core. Ottawa's football team and stadium are both crumbling, and its baseball team is leaving town.

Some ennobling structures have gone up in recent times, but they are the exception to the aching rule. When the city wisely took down the dreadful Daly building beside the Château, it could think of nothing better to do than put up a glassy condominium box in its place. It doesn't even have a shaped roof. Anyone can see the majesty that a spire brings. Anyone but our architects who don't seem to know turrets from turtles. In the past, the media paid more heed. Today, our architecture critics have little standing; they're back-page creatures.

Ottawa is so happy with the ordinary, says Mr. Cohen, that practically any performance at the Stalinist detention centre gets a standing ovation. The city is "genteel and orderly, terrified of spontaneity. It has not had a big idea in years."

It did have one, actually. Jean Chrétien and the National Capital Commission wanted to reach for the stars. They wanted to tear down the top half of Metcalfe Street and create a boulevard opening onto the stateliness of Parliament Hill. A semi-Champs Élysées effect.

It was a spectacular idea, but small thinkers all over town shuddered at the prospect of doing something bold and it didn't get a second breath. Reeked of caviar.

lmartin@globeandmail.com

All of this is quite silly. Ottawa is a magnificent capital, and I stand by my statement that Byward Market is the most successful neighbourhood in Canada. The Museum of Civilization is magnificent, and so is the new War Museum. The National Art Gallery is also very good. Sussex Drive is an attractive ceremonial boulevard, and Ottawa's parks are outstanding. The Rideau Canal and skateway are a nationally-prominent feature. Bank Street is a perfectly good neighbourhood shopping street, especially in the Glebe, and Lebreton is slowly being revitalized. I would absolutely love to live in the residential neighbourhood to the south of Rideau Hall.

That's not to say that Ottawa doesn't have its problems, but what city doesn't? The area immediately around the Rideau Centre could use a little TLC, but I'm sure the market neighbourhood will slowly spread south. Sparks Street is an admitted failure, but everybody knows the problems with pedestrian malls, especially in a climate like Ottawa's. It still sees a fair bit of traffic during the day. Hull is probably the biggest failure. The Place du Portage and nearby developments embody the worst elements of 70s planning. The E.B. Eddy plant next to the CMC is a bit out of place on the ceremonial Confederation Boulevard, though it does give a bit of a taste of the region's history. I'd love to see them do more with the islands in the Ottawa River. The former chair of the Museum of Science and Technology wanted to hire Frank Gehry to build a new museum, and I think that those islands would be a perfect site along with a restoration of the existing buildings there. Ottawa does have some pretty bad suburbs, ironically created largely by its impressive greenbelt.

The biggest failure in Ottawa's recent history is the O-Train, which has set the city's transit planning back decades and which was caused entirely by transit "activists" who will oppose anything but their exact pet project.

All in all, Ottawa is a very attractive and liveable city. It doesn't have grand boulevards like Paris, and I'm not going to weigh in on the Metcalfe project, but it's a great capital that's quite perfect for Canada.

edit: I didn't read the columns closely enough, but it's pretty absurd to call the Daly Building dreadful, though I understand it was in quite rough condition. The condo that replaced it may not be the best use for the land, but it's certainly fairly attractive. Toronto would do well to get some buildings with such good cladding.

It doesn't even have a shaped roof.

Such clever and wity architectural criticism. That line really made me laugh.

They wanted to tear down the top half of Metcalfe Street and create a boulevard opening onto the stateliness of Parliament Hill. A semi-Champs Élysées effect.

Exactly. It was a half assed project that also would have meant knocking down some rather lovely old buildings.

The article illustrates in an unintentional way why the NCC needs to start to fade away. There are only so many half assed projects that a city can absorb before it really starts to become drained of it's character. They would do more good for the city by focusing on Wellington and some of their other incomplete projects than starting entirely new ones.

And while there have been so many articles that have focused on the negative, they have overlooked some of the more positive changes. I was walking down Dalhousie the other day, a street which just 5 years ago had very few redeemable qualities, has really turned around. The upper half of the street has seen buildings renovated and expanded and has a nice collection of retail and plays well off the Byward market. In another 5 years as more development occurs the street will totally be changed.

Same with Rideau. The street is a disaster, but that whole area in general is a mess. There are still quite a few parking lots south of Rideau which creates a no mans land between Rideau and the Univeristy of Ottawa and Sandy Hill area, creating isolation between the neighborhoods instead of creating a more effective flow of activities between the two. Same is true of the north side which has only recently started to see more positive development associated with the market. You could make Rideau as pretty and neat as you wanted but until the area as a whole reaches a critical mass of development and makes parking lots the exception and not the rule, it wont do a lot of good.

The biggest failure in Ottawa's recent history is the O-Train, which has set the city's transit planning back decades and which was caused entirely by transit "activists" who will oppose anything but their exact pet project.

I agree it was disappointing, but I don't think it will be a total setback actually. In the end Albert and Slater are still lined solid with buses and no problems have been solved. The topic is still discussed and especially with a potential to drain the city of $150 million for nothing at all, it might even be O'Brien who gets it rolling again. There is also the LeBreton Flats factor. Now that this area is being developed and the project moving along it won't be long until the issue of the Transitway through this area comes up (along with debate surrounding the current O-Train). I don't expect things to suddenly change today, but in a few years I suspect the issue will be back on the table simply because there are going to be too many problems that they have to face in the near future.

I also think you over estimate the influence of a bunch of a transit hobbyists. They may have been mentioned in articles time to time and received more attention than warranted, but in the end the project was sunk largely because of O'Briens bumbling and Ottawa's conservative base and yes, even some genuine and legitimate concerns about the plan through the downtown area. The last few articles I have read that mention Friends of the O-Train really did not have anything positive to say about their ideas. Their day in the sun is over.

I disagree. The transit activists made the O-Train the primary issue of the campaign. With the supposedly transit-friendly Munter firmly opposed, it fatally weakened the project in the eyes of the public.

I will agree that Munter and his total ignorance of what the project actually involved did play a role. But, too even say the project was derailed would mean the project was on firm ground at some point, which, it never really was. The Bayview to Barrhaven section was never really the problem. Most people seemed to agree that the O-Train as is should be abandoned and replaced with a proper, electrified line, save the few transit hobbyists.

It was the downtown section which caused all the problems. That was partly why I think O'Brien suggested a tunnel through that portion at the last minute, because just running the line on Albert and Slater and subjecting it to the mess that is the bus traffic didnt make a lot of sense. As much as I support transit projects, the downtown section was really not designed well at all and there were a lot of unresolved issues about it and I am not entirely disappointed to have seen that project cancelled.

The suggestion of the tunnel at the last minute was one of the ways the O-Train was killed - too many changes and too many people playing fast and loose with the train.

Because of this, as well as the interference of the so-called "Friends of the O-Train" (which "friends" like these who needs enemies?) transit "advocates" and "hobbyists" (yes, David Jeanes loves his toy choo-choos) were able to claim "victory".

Back