News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Organic/Local Food Delivery?

PukeGreen

Member Bio
Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of signing up for one of the many organic and local produce delivery services that seem to be sprouting up everywhere these days. Problem is, when I turn to Google there are just too many options and I don't know where to begin aside from randomly choosing, which seems like a risky proposition.

Does anybody have personal experiences with one of these services that they can recommend? Pros? Cons? Things to watch out for? We're right in the downtown east. We'd prefer deliveries on a bi-weekly basis as I doubt the two of us could eat through a whole basket in one week without a lot of waste.

Here are some options I've come across:

http://www.greenearthorganics.com
http://www.frontdoororganics.com
http://www.wanigan.com

Sorry Puke, but I gotta wonder why you need your produce delivered?

Seeing as you live in downtown east, there seems to be plenty of convenient choices...St Lawrence market/Sat farmer's market, farmers market at Riverdale farm, farmers market at distillery (fab heirloom tomatoes), and the various major stores which have fairly comprehensive organic dept.

Personally, I would probably just make the trip to Whole Foods at Hazelton Lanes, simply based on their selection/quality.

If you are on this organic/local kick for "green" reasons, doesn't having your groceries delivered, rather than picking them up yourself defeat the purpose?

Hi freshcut... thanks for your input, I do hear what you're saying. Those issues are part of what I'm trying to figure out in terms of weighing the pros and cons (and opening that big can of worms involving organic vs local vs local-in-a-greenhouse, etc.) We do buy a lot of our produce from the SLM currently, but only some of it is organic and very little seems to be local. The vast majority of what's there seems to come from the same food terminal that supplies the grocery chains, so I occasionally feel a little mislead.

I guess I'm really just investigating if there's more of a great "straight-from-the-Ontario-farmer" alternative. Delivery is not something I really need, but that seems to be how the system works; a central drop-off point would be better.

Pssst! Wanna buy some redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries or rhubarb? I usually harvest them from early to mid-July, and there's only so much jam I can make ...

The vast majority of what's there seems to come from the same food terminal that supplies the grocery chains, so I occasionally feel a little mislead.

You are being mislead. This whole "organic" thing has been hijacked by big business. Sorting out who's serious and who's trying to take advantage of you is tricky. They are hoping in your zeal, that you will overpay for something (and you generally are, with the added bonus of doing it for nothing, as the "organic" part of it is many times of no value, health or otherwise).

Also, remember that "Certified Organic" is a club one must pay to join. many small operations simply cannot afford to add the cost of certification to their already stretched bottom line...they are already struggling. What this does is allow the big corporations to muscle out a lot of the small guys who have good products, by offering you inferior quality products they can sell at a premium by simply being "certified". And they know the general public will simply pay higher amounts if it says "Certified Organc", as if it were a magic bullet.

I was never one to fall for the whole "organic" craze. Not that i don't agree it's better...of course it is. I just don't see it as some kind of "new" thing. I grew up in the country, and organic was just common sense. It came out of your garden, was purchased at the mennonite's farms, or from the harvest from local farms. Tomatoes were eaten in season, and consumed off-season from the various canning you did with your supply of tomatoes. Nobody would by a tomatoe out of season from a store...one: it costs too much, and two: it tastes like shit. I still can't get over the fact that people actually put tomatoes in the fridge?????????????

I'll tell ya...there was one day shopping at Whole Foods that I just couldn't take it any more....I came across some maple syrup labelled "organic", and of course, costing twice as much as the so-called non-organic brands.

I approached the store management, and asked them to explain to me what it was that made this maple syrup "organic" or not "organic". They had no idea...but I pressed for an answer, and asked that they find out and get back to me.

Now, as most people should know, maple syrup is about the purest form of food there is...you just boil the sap from a tree. There's no way to make anything BUT organic maple syrup...the trees don't require any kind of pesticides or chemicals...the boiling of it doesn't involve anything that could be construed as non-organic.

They did give me the answer...somehow, the simple fact that they used "organic" products to clean the tubes they collected the sap with was enough to be able to claim the "organic" label. Ok...fine enough. I just think it's a pretty iffy reason, and it's not like non-orgqanic maple syrup producers were using toxic substances to clean theirs with.

Delivery is not something I really need, but that seems to be how the system works

What system? One of the advantages of living in many of Toronto's inner-city neighbourhoods, is the ability to shop every day for fresh, quality products, instead of those poor people who live the burbs, who have to waste a saturday, packing the kids in the SUV, driving to the big box store, loading up with a week or two's worth of groceries, most of which are not fresh, because it has to last the two weeks until the next shopping "adventure".

You are being mislead. This whole "organic" thing has been hijacked by big business.

Yes, I'm aware of the greenwashing (organicwashing? localwashing?) trends. I'm not one to pay double for a product simply because it has the word "organic" on the label. I've read Michael Pollan and a gazillion newspaper articles; I'm aware of the complexities of the debate:

- Is organic food any better than conventionally grown? What is the label "organic" worth when there are dozens of competing certification agencies and none are enforced by government? Is there something worthwhile here or is "organic" simply a hollow marketing scam?

- Is it better for the environment to buy produce grown locally in a heated greenhouse, or buy the same produce grown in a field in another continent and then transported here?

- Is it a good thing that organics are becoming more mainstream, adopted by major supermarkets where more people have access to them at lower prices; or is this just a "hijacking" as you say, and would it be better if organics remain a niche market where ultra-high standards can be maintained, even though only a few rich yuppies have the time and money to seek them out?

I don't have answers to these questions; I don't want to buy into a gimmick whole hog, but nor do I want to become so pessimistic that I disregard all possible benefits entirely. All I know is I like the idea of eating local, consuming fewer chemicals, and supporting people who care more about quality than sheer quantity. I'd rather put my money towards supporting this movement than supporting conventional cheap-at-any-cost food. But that doesn't mean I'm a brain-dead idiot looking to be taken for a ride.

What system?

I was referring to the specific local/organic delivery services I've researched, nothing more. Like I said, it's not about the delivery, what attracted me was the idea of buying straight from a farm or small group of farms and *knowing* that what I'm buying is definitely local and definitely grown without unnecessary chemicals.

Anyway, at this point it seems the best bet is probably to continue with the weekend farmer's markets, keeping a skeptical mind and asking the vendors where their food comes from without making any assumptions.

Packaging is the science of deception

Be aware of words like pure, gourmet, select, and organic - they are meaningless

My favorite is organic honey - how in the world can you watch the bees to make sure they have not found any pesticides anywhere?

I suppose if you were a beekeeper in the north pole , or maybe northern Manitoba - but anywhere there are crops there will be fertilizer and pesticides.

This summer, in my little back garden, in addition to growing berries for jam I'm hoping to grow tomatoes and zucchini as well.

Be aware of words like pure, gourmet, select, and organic - they are meaningless

My favorite is organic honey - how in the world can you watch the bees to make sure they have not found any pesticides anywhere?

I suppose if you were a beekeeper in the north pole , or maybe northern Manitoba - but anywhere there are crops there will be fertilizer and pesticides.

For both honey and syrup (previously mentiones) the organic standards are actually quite elaborate. They relate more to the keeping of the bees and trees than the food products themselves though.

I'll tell ya...there was one day shopping at Whole Foods that I just couldn't take it any more....I came across some maple syrup labelled "organic", and of course, costing twice as much as the so-called non-organic brands.

I approached the store management, and asked them to explain to me what it was that made this maple syrup "organic" or not "organic". They had no idea...but I pressed for an answer, and asked that they find out and get back to me.

Now, as most people should know, maple syrup is about the purest form of food there is...you just boil the sap from a tree. There's no way to make anything BUT organic maple syrup...the trees don't require any kind of pesticides or chemicals...the boiling of it doesn't involve anything that could be construed as non-organic.

They did give me the answer...somehow, the simple fact that they used "organic" products to clean the tubes they collected the sap with was enough to be able to claim the "organic" label. Ok...fine enough. I just think it's a pretty iffy reason, and it's not like non-orgqanic maple syrup producers were using toxic substances to clean theirs with.

There are various reasons as to why the organic label can be used on maple syrup.

- No synthetic pesticides/chemicals used to maintain the forest
- No formaldehyde used in tree tapping.
- Forest conservation by limiting the number of trees tapped to make sure the eco-system is still viable.

I'm not sure if there will be special clauses for maple syrup but later this year in Dec when the CFIA releases their Organic Certification program, I guess we'll wait and see. I am glad that there will be a national standard analogous to the USDA.

My wife and I are thinking of signing up for one of the many organic and local produce delivery services that seem to be sprouting up everywhere these days. Problem is, when I turn to Google there are just too many options and I don't know where to begin aside from randomly choosing, which seems like a risky proposition.

Does anybody have personal experiences with one of these services that they can recommend? Pros? Cons? Things to watch out for? We're right in the downtown east. We'd prefer deliveries on a bi-weekly basis as I doubt the two of us could eat through a whole basket in one week without a lot of waste.

Here are some options I've come across:

http://www.greenearthorganics.com
http://www.frontdoororganics.com
http://www.wanigan.com

I've had many friends both work at and use Plan B Organics. You can pick up your "share" from various depots that they deliver to around Toronto.

http://www.planborganicfarms.ca/index.html

Back