News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Or do we really want to turn into Toronto?

A

adma

lynnbecker.com/repeat/bei...rtower.htm

2000-foot-tall Pigeon Roost proposed for Chicago's lakefront

ArchitectureChicago Plus posting from October 25, 2005

In this morning's Trib, architecture critic Blair Kamin and real estate columnist Thomas Corfmann reveal plans for a $300,000,000, 2,000 foot-high HDTV broadcast tower to be constructed by a partnership of J. Paul Beitler and LR Development along Chicago's lakeshore, not from another 2,000 structure, the Santiago Calatrava designed Fordham Spire. Unlike the Spire, however, the Beitler project, other than a 400-car parking garage at the bottom and restaurants at the top, would be an empty tripod, three huge concrete legs, joined by beams every 10 to 15 stories, that would support three tall antennas at the top.

The designer is Cesar Pelli, the usually reliable architect who recently completed the striking Ratner Athletic Center on the University of Chicago campus. At Beitler Tower, however, most of his better instincts seemed to have abandoned him. If the developers had really meant to do this right, they would have simply gone to Adrian Smith of Skidmore, Owings Merrill and resurrected his unbuilt design for 7 South Dearborn, a HDTV tower that's everything the Pelli is not: slim, soaring, graceful and elegant.

Simply put, this project is an atrocity.

More to the point, it could also quickly become the world's biggest white elephant. The impetus for the tower is Congress's mandate that broadcasters switch to digital-only transmission, probably by 2009. Stations are therefore staking out locations for their high-def antennas. However, currently only about 20% of all viewers receive their signals "over-the-air", and it's a fair bet that by the time the Beitler tower would be completed, that number will be even more dramatically lower.

There are about 3,400,000 TV households in the Chicago market. That means the tower would cost over $400 per over-the-air household at 20%, or nearly $1,000 at 10%. Today, having a television is considered a necessity for even the poorest families - 98.2% of U.S. households have at least one TV. It's not hard to envision how over just the next few years, access to basic cable or direct TV over a dish will become another basic necessity, and over-the-air transmission will all but wither away. And what will we stuck with? A parking garage and some restaurants, stuck in a giant wishbone of a structure that no longer serves a purpose.

The Beitler tower is less a building than a gargatuan piece of infrastructure. Placed amidst the railyards in a city or a suburb, it would be a marvel of engineering. Placed in the heart of Chicago's downtown, it's merely an eyesore. It's a throwback to the days when cities trashed their downtowns by stuffing them beneath the dark shadows of elevated expressways. It's hard to see the general public embracing this proposal. Even on an architecture forum like skyscraperpage.com, where there's usually unbridled enthusiasm for anything tall, discussion over the Beitler tower has been markedly cool.

According to Kamin and Corfmann, nothing is really real on this project. The developers are "negotiating" with the city's TV stations. The proposal has been "presented" to Chicago's Department of Planning - no formal approval process has begun. If they have any sense for public relations, Chicago's major TV outlets will distance themselve from this project without delay, and, if that doesn't work, the mayor and his new planning commissioner Lori Healey should telegraph the city's disapproval quickly. Or do we really want to turn into Toronto?

do American channels/networks still rely somewhat heavily on terrestrial broadcast? I thought the US was the 'cable' capital of the world...?

do American channels/networks still rely somewhat heavily on terrestrial broadcast? I thought the US was the 'cable' capital of the world...?
Canada is actually more cabled than the U.S., but both countries do still rely heavily on terrestrial broadcasting. Even if fewer and fewer people actually are watching the VHF and UHF signals, terrestrial channels must still transmit their signal over-the-air (even though an increasing majority get them through cable, microwave and satellite).

For a second I thought this was about the Fordham Spire, but I was wrong...

20149524.jpg

Link to article

From the Chicago Tribune

2,000-foot TV tower may pierce skyline
By Thomas A. Corfman and Blair Kamin
Tribune staff reporters

October 25, 2005

Imagine this addition to Chicago's fabled skyline: a futuristic, tweezer-shaped broadcast tower looming 2,000 feet over the lakefront as one of the world's tallest structures.

The digital age may soon bring this sleek, scissors-like conversation piece to the city, within clear view of the tourists at Navy Pier who will either ooh with awe or laugh with disbelief.

To be designed by prominent architect Cesar Pelli, the tower would help redefine Chicago's horizon. Rising above the skyline between the John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower, it would usher in a new era of daring, ultramodern architecture for the city. Another sensation would be a proposed Santiago Calatrava-designed skyscraper shaped like a drill bit.

The $300 million Pelli tower would function as a platform for local television stations to mount their new high-definition broadcasting antennas.

Instead of building a conventional building that reserves roof space for antennas, the developers--J. Paul Beitler and LR Development Co.--are proposing the lower-cost option of a needle-thin, triple-spired tripod. At the top would be several floors for restaurants and an observation deck, and at the base would be a 400-car garage. The tapered space in between would be largely open, except for six large beams connecting the spires.

"It is a very intelligent structure," said Pelli, in a telephone interview from his office in New Haven, Conn. He compared the structure to a ship's mast, saying it will be "a very handsome form next to the water."

The proposed broadcast tower, which would be located along Lake Shore Drive between Illinois Street and Grand Avenue, would jump past the CN Tower in Toronto, which at 1,815 feet holds the title as the world's tallest free-standing broadcast tower.

But comparing tall structures is complicated, so much so that it can seem the height of absurdity.

Not a building

For one, the structure could not lay claim to becoming one of the world's tallest buildings because it isn't technically a building--its structure would not be filled with floors as in a conventional skyscraper.

Currently, the world's tallest building is the 1,671-foot Taipei 101 in Taiwan, but other superstructures are under development.

Among broadcast antennas, the proposed lakefront structure is taller than the CN Tower but would fall short of a guywire-supported radio mast antenna in North Dakota, as well as an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, according to reports.

Beitler, president and chief executive of the Chicago-based real estate firm that bears his name, confirmed the broad outlines of the project, which does not yet have city approval.

"We are not out to have the tallest building in the world, or the tallest anything," Beitler said. "That's simply silly because somebody will come along and build something taller. There have been a lot of tombstones put up for people who proposed the `tallest.' The problem has always been financeability, and we have financing."

The project would be driven by agreements, not yet signed, with local television stations, which are preparing for a shift to exclusively high-definition broadcasting, expected to be required in 2009.

Beitler declined to comment on the status of any talks with broadcasters. Local television stations currently broadcast HDTV and traditional analog broadcast signals from the 1,451-foot Sears Tower in the West Loop and the 1,127-foot John Hancock Center on North Michigan Avenue, where they lease space.

But television executives have long wanted a third option that they would control, and in the late 1990s even floated a proposal for a free-standing antenna mast that would have been located either in the suburbs or on the West Side.

The selling point of the new tower is that high-definition signals need to emanate from the highest, least obstructed point.

Still, the new tower is not a done deal.

Neighbors overwhelmed

In addition to tough negotiations with broadcasters, the latest proposal will likely be an even tougher sell to Streeterville residents, many of whom already feel overwhelmed by new high-rise construction and suffocated by traffic generated by Navy Pier.

The proposed site, which is zoned for a 610-foot structure, is just a few blocks north of a riverfront parcel where another developer has proposed a 115-story condominium/hotel to be designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava that would also soar to 2,000 feet.

As originally proposed in July, the Calatrava tower did not include broadcast facilities. But developer Christopher Carley said he may eventually add broadcast transmission facilities to his project, called Fordham Spire.

"As the time goes on, there is going to be more and more demand for these high antennas, not only high definition," said Carley, chairman of Chicago-based Fordham Co.

He said he has not had any discussions with local broadcasters, and didn't think the newly proposed broadcast tower would affect his project.

Whether the lakefront could accommodate two tall towers so close by would depend on neighborhood residents, who Carley expected would raise several concerns to the broadcast tower.

"It's not the height per se," he said. "It's more traffic, density, blocked views and shadows."

Beitler said the Planning Department has been briefed on the plans.

"I think it would be very dynamic to have two great architects like this put up buildings so close to each other," said Beitler. "I think they are so completely different from each other it would be interesting."

The proposed broadcast tower would be on a 41,000-square-foot site owned by a joint venture that includes LR Development, a Chicago luxury residential firm, and JER Partners, a Virginia investment firm.

Thomas Weeks, president of LR Development, declined comment.

Beitler is a veteran office developer whose projects include the Pelli-designed 181 W. Madison St. and 131 S. Dearborn St. In the late 1980s Beitler and Lee Miglin proposed a "world's tallest" tower for a Loop site, but the deal ended in foreclosure.

Beitler's partner, LR Development, also is co-owner of the site that developer Carley would buy for the Calatrava tower.

The "tweezer tower" as some calls it, is a pretty interesting design, which reminds me of Sauron's tower in the Lord of the Rings movies (you just need to add that evil eye to the top of the tower, between the masts).

Well, the critique is not unlike what some've said about the CN Tower being a functional dinosaur soon after completion...

that and if I was from Chicago I wouldnt want to regress into Toronto any more than we would Montreal.

I didn't know the three cities were on a linked evolutionary track.

Does this make us world class? Another city holding us up as an example in what not to do?

There's an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico taller than the CN Tower?

There's an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico taller than the CN Tower?

Was wondering about that myself. Maybe they are counting the part below water as well.

According to SSP:

Buildings/Towers currently taller than the CN Tower (553.3 m):
Petronius Compliant Tower (Offshore Platform) - 640 m
Baldpate Compliant Tower (Offshore Platform) - 579.7 m

Buildings/Towers Under Construction:
Burj Dubai (United Arab Emirates) - 705 m
Guangzhou TV & Sightseeing Tower (China) - 610 m

Proposed Buildings/Towers:
EnviroMission Solar Tower (Australia) - 1000 m
Al Burj (United Arab Emirates) - ~750???
Lotte Tower (South Korea) - 555 + antenna
Park Square Tower (United Arab Emirates) - 650 m
Russia Tower (Russia) - 648 m
Sumida Tower (Japan) - 610 m
Fordham Spire (United States) - 609.7
Tall Tower (United States) - 609.6
Saitama New Metropolitan Tower (Japan) - 600 m

skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?13428290

I actually like it. So I guess it could have the highest observation deck record from CN Tower.

do American channels/networks still rely somewhat heavily on terrestrial broadcast?

Canadians may have embraced the internet more so than those in the US but Americans are destroying us in terms of HDTV adoption (thanks to slow moving Canadian networks like CBC who might have a handful of HD capable cameras which they're too scared to even use).

Simply put, picking up a terrestrial broadcast via a quality antenna will ensure the absolute best picture quality. Sounds kind of backwards doesn't it? The resolution of HDTV (at 720P or 1080i) is so great that our cable providers must greatly compress the signal simply due to bandwidth reasons (mini dish providers do the same). Even though my Cogeco HD looks freaking amazing, it would look even better if I was able to pull those same channels in over an antenna.

The HD revolution is here, every major American city has about a dozen or so (at least) channels that can be picked up over the air. Here in Toronto people are left spending big bucks on equipment to pull in the Buffalo stations and the handful of Canadian stations. It's no surprise that such a proposal is being made. I'm kind of envious at the US television market, ours is downright pathetic.

I'm kind of envious at the US television market, ours is downright pathetic.

I have to say, Im not in slightest bit envious of US television. It doesnt matter if they broadcast in HDTV or not because almost every single second of US television is garbage. Most of what is being produced is nothing more than advertising in the form of 'entertainment', and some of the other stuff on the dial such as news and education programs are little more than propoghanda for the American corporate machine.

If Canadian private television interests want to invest in HDTV then good for them. But I would much rather see the CBC spend its money on program production rather than letting us see Don Cherry and his ties in such vivid detail that we can determine the thread count from a couch 10 feet away. Try finding a program such as ZedTV on American television (and if one exists, let me know).

I cant blame companies for investing more in internet technology than HDTV. In terms of content distribution and the ability to make money for those businesses, internet wins hands down. Truthfully, I dont think Ill ever own a tv again since with each day I can get more and content in improving quality directly over the internet. It may not be so crystal clear I often have touch the monitor to reassure myself its not real, but its good enough for me.

Back