News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 298     0 

Opposition pass vote in bid to topple government

book.jpeg

My vote will be determined by the number of times I hear Conservatives (especially Harper) use the words 'boondoggle' and 'dithering.' No mention of either word during the campaign and I'll join the Conservative party. Few uses and I vote for the Conservatives. Moderate usage and I vote for the Liberals. Heavy usage, including phrases like "billion dollar boondoggle," and I vote Green. If Harper uses boondoggle and dithers in the same sentence, I'll join the Green party.

I have absolutely no intention of voting Conservative if they waste more funds as opposition than the Liberals did in the sponsorship scandle.

Calling an election 6 months early is a minimum of $30M in waste ($300M to run an election).

If the Liberal government topples, I expect the Conservatives to take a crack at running a minority government before an election is called (I believe they would be offered the opportunity).

last election i voted green but this time i'll probably vote liberal just to spite the conservatives.
Strategic voting is one of the dumbest mistakes Canadian voters make. They believe in the myth of choosing between the "better of two evils" but what they don't realize is as long as people continue doing this the two major parties have the people at bay and nothing will really change, so in reality they have no right to complain if their agenda isn't met. I voted Green last election and will continue doing so because they are the party whose platform is the closest to my views. Why would I settle for another party just because they are more popular?

Exactly. I don't like the Greens as much as the NDP, but I respect anyone who has looked into the parties and found the Greens to be their favourite. Too much political support is based on ignorance or strategic voting.

I found the NDP to the best party for me right now, and I like how they are performing.

spmarshall: I have to agree with how the NDP have performed. They have done a good job dealing with the situation of a minority government and have deffinetly gained my continued support.

Mislav: Well said.

Strategic voting is one of the dumbest mistakes Canadian voters make. They believe in the myth of choosing between the "better of two evils" but what they don't realize is as long as people continue doing this the two major parties have the people at bay and nothing will really change, so in reality they have no right to complain if their agenda isn't met. I voted Green last election and will continue doing so because they are the party whose platform is the closest to my views. Why would I settle for another party just because they are more popular?
as long as we have a first past the post system, voting green will do nothing to keep the conservatives at bay. i voted green last time because my riding was pretty much a liberal lock. our MP is retiring so anything is possible now, so my vote will probably go to the party that's most likely to beat the convervatives.

if parliament ever changes to better reflect how people vote (proportional representation), a lot more people will vote for who they actually want. until then strategic voting will be the norm.

If we had preferential balloting, I would probably vote:

1 Green
2 Liberal
3 NDP
4 Marijuana
5 Natural Law
6 Christian Family Nutbar alliance
7 Conservative

Natural Law no longer exists. Then again, if BC's Sex party went national...

We lost our natural law party? Shame. I'll miss their policy-development-through-yogic-flying approach.

How about some independent Save-Kidderminster-Hospital type candidate?

Well with one day to go it looks as though the Liberals may have pulled it off and saved their minority government. CBC has reported the independent MP from BC, Chuck Cadman, is likely to vote with the Liberals which will just be enough to sustain the government.

While I do not like the Liberals, I am glad that this budget will be passed. It is actually going to put into action the promise for the New Deal for Cities and for once do something for environmental and social programs. Its not going to make a huge impact in many of these areas but it is a start and for urban issues in particular, hopefully this will give the movement some much needed momentum to keep pushing forward.

Personally, I think a slightly more comfortable margin in terms of a Liberal-NDP seats in the HoC would be ideal. After the June election, I was celebrating that the NDP had won enough seats to form a working majority with Martin. It wasn't until the next day that the NDP's seat count was revised downward from (I think) 22 to 19. Enough to make the difference, anyway.

Back