News   May 07, 2024
 156     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 204     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 737     3 

Ontario's deficit grows: MoveOntario in trouble?

I think McDonalds would have done this already if it was possible.

McDonalds might have done it if it was possible - but then you have to think like a company - and figure out if the payback puts it higher on the priority list - or lower. Any change in the economic equation changes the priorities of what they need to do business-wise. And yes, it is possible to downsize the tellers - kiosks, phone-apps, etc. Where you enter an order, potentially pay directly and that leaves kitchen staff - and one person to hand out the orders to the receipt-holders. A kiosk is expensive - but it can work 24hours with no holidays - if a person is more expensive then it might be more likely implemented.

Stores in Thailand (large stores) have lots of employees - because it is economical - as countries low end wages become more expensive - there are less jobs. If the workforce becomes more educated, more higher end jobs become available and there is less need for those lost jobs in the balance. Right now - we are going in the wrong direction though (IMHO).

Basically it might work out - but it also might make things worse - but the better (long term) solution is to work towards increasing the skilled workforce (with a more entrepreneurial drive) and driving the upward push in wages that way.

At a certain point, there is clearly an economic cost to a minimum wage, but we're not at that point. Obviously if it were $20 an hour or something like that, we'd see a lot of small businesses closing and more automation of cashier-type jobs. On the other hand, from 2003-2008, we saw the minimum wage rise from $6.85 to $10 and there was no significant decline in employment in the low wage service sector.

11% is not the top tax bracket - it is an illusion.

The is the fair share health surtax that brings it up to 14% (approximately) which is already a surtax - and was suppose to replace premiums.

Premiums were then reintroduced (but collected as well through taxes).

Actually, the 11% "top rate" and all the other lower ontario rates are subject to a 56% surtax which brings the top Ontario rate up to 17% (before the inclusion of the health tax). The 56% surtax phases in, but basically is in sync with the Federal top rate 29%, and thus Ontario's combined top rate of 46% is in effect above $126k. I must say that it's a bit of a kicker to realize that I'm only getting 54cents on the dollar of any payraise or bonus I get (...I know some of you are now thinking, "cry us a river!" ;-).

Last edited:
At a certain point, there is clearly an economic cost to a minimum wage, but we're not at that point.

That's not very convincing.

Obviously if it were $20 an hour or something like that, we'd see a lot of small businesses closing and more automation of cashier-type jobs. On the other hand, from 2003-2008, we saw the minimum wage rise from $6.85 to $10 and there was no significant decline in employment in the low wage service sector.

I don't think it is a light switch. These changes don't necessarily happen overnight. I would not be at all surprised if Ontario firms were in the process of reducing hours worked for staff being paid minimum wage.

Stephen Gordon has an excellent post over at his blog, Worthwhile Canadian Initiative, exploring why increases in minimum wage don't do much to alleviate poverty. The gist: most minimum wage earners are not members of poor households (think teenagers) and most poor households do not rely on minimum wage earners to provide income.

Back