News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

Ontario Tax break on fast food coming to an End

"The thing is - why should there be a sales tax break in the first place."

The thing for me is - Why should there even be a provincial sales tax in the first place. Alberta doesn't have one. We already get taxed enough. We also have hidden taxes everywhere. Tax. Tax. Tax. If the governments spent the tax money wisely, they wouldn't have to constantly come up with new ways to increase their tax revenue.

nt:

Alberta, as noted, has quite a bit of revenues from oil, which we don't.

GB

Besides, you can only stretch money so far. Are you willing to take a 50% pay cut and work for the government so taxes can be decreased? You can't get something for nothing, and you usually get what you pay for.

"You can't get something for nothing, and you usually get what you pay for."

The problem I have with government, is when we get nothing in exchange for something. Every government of every shade has done it. It's known as waste of taxpayer money. Look at all the billions blown by Chretien's government. They blew $500 million in penalties for cancelling the EH101 contract. They blew a couple hundred million in penalties for cancelling the Airport contract. They blew a billion dollars on that dumb gun registry. The list goes on and on. Look at the money lost with Harris's dumb decision to sell off the 407... and all the other premature sell-offs they made.

Now we have McGuinty extending the PST, and proclaiming he is merely doing it to help people eat better. *Rolling Eyes* I don't think expecting our politicians to excercise fiscal responsibility is asking for much. But I suppose it's a lot easier for them to just raise the taxes, rather than spend the money responsibly.

nt:

Governments are only as good as the people who elected them - and since people themselves are falliable, so is the former...

GB

It is unreasonable to expect perfection. Business leaders often waste money as well.

The incidents you mentioned were all unfortunate, and I disagreed with pretty much every move at the time.

This is just another tax/money grab by the province. They won't implement this, just like they didn't implement photo radar. McGuinty has to stop blaming everything on the defecit, he knew there was a defecit. Maybe, and you can call me crazy, this is a year where he has to run a deficit and dig into those coffers. It's not possibly to run a balanced budget 100% of the time, impossible.

Back