News   Sep 18, 2024
 190     0 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 386     1 
News   Sep 18, 2024
 695     1 

Ontario Science Centre

CTV report following a Freedom of Information Request, concerning a City Inspector's notes on the day the province announced the emergency shutdown of the complex.

From the above:

1725477461064.png

New article casting doubt on the move, but also including some details I wasn't previously aware of:

Shored as in temporarily fixed until it can be replaced, or shored as in finished fixing the issue?

I haven't read his original filing, but I would read shored in this context to mean 'supported', generally the use of the term refers to an interim measure.

It looks like JLL may have been retained by the Ontario Government / Infrastructure Ontario to conduct the search for an interim site / possibly longer term site for replacement of the Science Centre.

There was an ad in the Globe & Mail yesterday (Thursday, September 5), bottom right corner of Page B3. Placed by JLL, the ad is seeking office space within the City on behalf of Infrastructure Ontario.

Bullet points (mandatory requirements) from the ad:
  • Located within the City of Toronto
  • Minimum of 200,000 rentable square feet of office space
  • Less than a 10-minute/850m walk to subway or 10-minute/7km drive to a major highway
  • Viable opportunity for owner-occupancy - 60% of office space within 5 years & 100% within 10 years
  • Estimated current market value of $500 per square foot or less
Any other feasible interpretations?

I really dislike the proposed Ontario Place location. It suffers from the same issues, if not worse, as the current Science Centre which is the long disconnect between point A (entrance) and point B (the actual facility). The lake, while amazing in its own right is such a waste of space in the context of the Science Centre. I wish it could have been on CNE grounds proper instead (or better yet, just remained where it is now and undergone a proper buildout to remove the weird connection).

Back