News   Jul 15, 2024
 24     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

2:25 to bracebridge is pretty solid - I would probably take it occasionally if it were still in operation. What would be nice is if they had car rentals at the station for last mile.. There would be about another 45 minutes of driving from Bracebridge to the family cottage for me. I would totally use that to avoid cottage traffic. A 5:30 departure from Toronto on Fridays, with an 8pm arrival on Sundays would be perfect.

Of course I'm just dreaming

ONTC has put some (maybe all) service on Google Maps, including Polar Bear, so it is possible to google map a route from Toronto to Moosonee.

Meanwhile Greyhound is deepsixing "all service west of Sudbury" which may place some pressure on Northland to extend its territory further west?

ONTC has put some (maybe all) service on Google Maps, including Polar Bear, so it is possible to google map a route from Toronto to Moosonee.

Meanwhile Greyhound is deepsixing "all service west of Sudbury" which may place some pressure on Northland to extend its territory further west?

I am thinking that we will see the ON Bus become the defacto carrier outside of the GO coverage area. I think that there will be an ON Bus going to Winnipeg, as well as into parts of QC as needed.

I am thinking that GO will expand to cover SW Ontario. Mind you, with this current issue, it might be enough of a push to combine the 2 services into one.

I am thinking that we will see the ON Bus become the defacto carrier outside of the GO coverage area. I think that there will be an ON Bus going to Winnipeg, as well as into parts of QC as needed.

I am thinking that GO will expand to cover SW Ontario. Mind you, with this current issue, it might be enough of a push to combine the 2 services into one.
I would rather that GO stick to being a regional provider, concentrating on more frequency on short-ish routes rather than entering the long range market.

ONTC have not put the North Bay-Ottawa run into Google Maps so it shows as North Bay-Toronto (ONTC) and Toronto-Ottawa (VIA). North Bay-Arnprior comes back as "no route"

In my mind, the only hope in restoring the Northlander lies in Finance Minister Vic Fedeli. Has Min of Finance, he does wield lots of power, and he has for a long time advocated restoring the train. I really don’t think the rest of the PC caucus cares.

He is the only hope... but, if we follow his track record, it likely won't happen.

I think “we have to delay Northlander to respond to Greyhound leaving remote communities” would be very defensible - but since that line isn’t being trotted out I suspect there won’t be money for that either.

The whining in the comments to that article though - as if the axe isn’t being taken to Toronto priorities too!

Someone posted to one of the Facebook groups that I belong to that it is coming, but had nothing more than "I heard from someone that the plans ans schedule are in the works". I highly doubt it is coming.

^I'm actually a little most optimistic given the Finance Minister is from North Bay and they were pretty bold in their promise. Also they claimed it would only cost $45M a year which is a small amount compared to the overall larger budget. That $45M might not get you much in the way of a better service compared to 2012 and make it truly competitive to the car or flying, but I think it's all about the symbolism. I could be completely wrong in terms of predicting the future and I'm okay with that.

^I'm actually a little most optimistic given the Finance Minister is from North Bay and they were pretty bold in their promise. Also they claimed it would only cost $45M a year which is a small amount compared to the overall larger budget. That $45M might not get you much in the way of a better service compared to 2012 and make it truly competitive to the car or flying, but I think it's all about the symbolism. I could be completely wrong in terms of predicting the future and I'm okay with that.

Mike Harris, the former Premier of Ontario was elected in Nipissing as a PC. He and his government cut back ONTC.

This is probably to work out a schedule and route to replace the Greyhound.

I ain't holding my breath for a return on the Northlander, but I would welcome it.

Yes, I bet the Greyhound issue was top of mind. But I'll say it again, Fedeli in Finance is the best bet to restore it.

Back