News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Construction in 2025 according to this presser:

Given the multiple stages involved in public infrastructure projects, as well as the various steps in municipal approvals, I'm not surprised.

I am not surprised either. So, when I visit in the summer of 2025, if they are not actually working on the ground to build a station, it still isn't reality.

I am not surprised either. So, when I visit in the summer of 2025, if they are not actually working on the ground to build a station, it still isn't reality.
Believe - or not - as you wish. Multiple players, complexity, unforeseen circumstances, etc. plague large project. I understand a couple of transit projects in Toronto are a day or two behind. Even if it is delayed (not unheard of), they could still handle passengers out of a couple of Atco trailers so long as the site is safe. They could even temporarily terminate in Cochrane.

Believe - or not - as you wish. Multiple players, complexity, unforeseen circumstances, etc. plague large project. I understand a couple of transit projects in Toronto are a day or two behind. Even if it is delayed (not unheard of), they could still handle passengers out of a couple of Atco trailers so long as the site is safe. They could even temporarily terminate in Cochrane.
It is not whether I believe it or not, but whether I trust the government.

Screenshot_2023-08-26_203117.jpg

I heard a rumor and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything on it. The rumor was that the return of the Northlander would be a phased approach.The first phase would be North Bay - Toronto. The next phase would be Cochrane - Toronto.The last phase would be South Porcupine (Timmins) - Toronto with the train splitting in Matheson to connect to Cochrane.

Any truth to it?.

I heard a rumor and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything on it. The rumor was that the return of the Northlander would be a phased approach.The first phase would be North Bay - Toronto. The next phase would be Cochrane - Toronto.The last phase would be South Porcupine (Timmins) - Toronto with the train splitting in Matheson to connect to Cochrane.

Any truth to it?.
I stand to be corrected, but the new equipment cannot be split as noted unless running as a 2 pack or doing the old style setup. Would require the train to be turn around in Cochrane and then have to turn the equipment around in Matheson to make it a 4 car train and that is a lot of wasted time. It defeat the use of the new equipment on order.. Got a cab car at one end.

I stand to be corrected, but the new equipment cannot be split as noted unless running as a 2 pack or doing the old style setup. Would require the train to be turn around in Cochrane and then have to turn the equipment around in Matheson to make it a 4 car train and that is a lot of wasted time. It defeat the use of the new equipment on order.. Got a cab car at one end.
I was thinking the same thing. That is why I asked. It seemed a little preposterous.

Any truth to it?.
If I recall, the business case suggested either a phased return of service, or seasonally adjusted service (I can't remember) but it was premised on Toronto-North Bay. I don't think the government accepted that.

Depending on timelines, I can certainly see service starting with Toronto-Cochrane because Timmins (Porcupine) requires significant construction; there is quite literally nothing there right now. There has also been little public discussion of what form the Timmins-Cochane 'link' might take.

As far as I am aware, they are only buying two trainsets, and maintenance facilities are in Cochrane.

As far as I am aware, they are only buying two trainsets, and maintenance facilities are in Cochrane.
Three trainsets, as has been announced by both the Government and Siemens.

While yes ONR has their running maintenance facility in Cochrane, it is expected that the new passenger trainsets will being undergoing any more major maintenance alongside the largely-identical sets that VIA is receiving down at the TMC.

Dan

Three trainsets, as has been announced by both the Government and Siemens.

While yes ONR has their running maintenance facility in Cochrane, it is expected that the new passenger trainsets will being undergoing any more major maintenance alongside the largely-identical sets that VIA is receiving down at the TMC.

Dan
With 3 train sets, could they use one to connect at Matheson to Cochrane?

With 3 train sets, could they use one to connect at Matheson to Cochrane?
I'd think so.

They could ... though I'd think an existing engine with a passenger car or two would work just as well; or better yet, a 40-minute bus ride. It's not like you'd need dining, cafes, or sleeping.

Though I'd think more likely, the short connection would be from Matheson to Timmins, with most of the train going up to Cochrane to meet the Polar Bear Express.

Though perhaps a simpler idea, would be to run the train from North Bay to Timmins, then take advantage of the cab cars, and just back it up to Porquis Junction, and go then go forwards the 45 km to Cochrane.

Though if we want to go into fantasy map world, the short train to Matheson, could extend in the other direction and restore service to Kirkland Lake and Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or, to meet the VIA train in Senneterre.

(which makes me wonder why wonder why the Senneterre train runs some 650 km to Montreal, but doesn't extend another 60 km to Val-d'Or and then 100 km to Rouyn-Noranda. (from there it's only 85 km to connect to Kirkland Lake and the existing ONR Northland) (to answer my question, it's probably because that's where the roads begin, so no TC requirement to continue service - but ditto for Toronto to Timmins/Cochrane)

Last edited:
I'd th

I'd think so.

They could ... though I'd think an existing engine with a passenger car or two would work just as well; or better yet, a 40-minute bus ride. It's not like you'd need dining, cafes, or sleeping.

Though I'd think more likely, the short connection would be from Matheson to Timmins, with most of the train going up to Cochrane to meet the Polar Bear Express.

Though perhaps a simpler idea, would be to run the train from North Bay to Timmins, then take advantage of the cab cars, and just back it up to Porquis Junction, and go then go forwards the 45 km to Cochrane.

Though if we want to go into fantasy map world, the short train to Matheson, could extend in the other direction and restore service to Kirkland Lake and Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or, to meet the VIA train in Senneterre.

(which makes me wonder why wonder why the Senneterre train runs some 650 km to Montreal, but doesn't extend another 60 km to Val-d'Or and then 100 km to Rouyn-Noranda. (from there it's only 85 km to connect to Kirkland Lake and the existing ONR Northland) (to answer my question, it's probably because that's where the roads begin, so no TC requirement to continue service - but ditto for Toronto to Timmins/Cochrane)

I think they've already announced that the train will terminate in Timmins. The value of any type of connection between Timmins and Cochrane will be in the timing of Northlander vs Polar Bear. Sure, there will be people who will actually be destined for Cochrane, but if the significant ridership from Northlander, of even just from Timmins, is heading further north, it would benefit from some reasonable connection timing; otherwise people are left with either taking a hotel or wandering the town.

VIA service is provided in relationship to its Remote Service mandate, which doesn't apply to the ONR. You are probably correct about the presence of roads angle.

If the focus was on transportation they would extend the Polar Bear Express to Timmins but I suspect that would not do well politically in Cochrane where not having a convenient connection or through train is a hospitality industry win. Cochrane is Ontario's more remote version of Breezewood Pennsylvania. On a map it barely makes sense Highway 11 goes there.

Back