News   Jul 25, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 280     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 816     1 

Ontario Line Extension West of Ontario Place (Speculation)

Why not split all three ways? West to Humber Bay Shores/South Etobicoke, north-west to Dundas West, Junction, Mount Dennis and beyond, and north up Dufferin street all the way into North York.

Curious how the line will get from Osgoode to the Exhibition grounds.

I would hope it stays in the Queen alignment long enough to have stations at Spadina, Bathurst and Trinity Bellwoods (Niagara/Gorevale), then veers southward to a station at King and Shaw, then finally the Exhibition. Beyond this, I'd probably have the line swing back to King/Dufferin, King/Jameson, Queen/Roncy, Howard Park/Roncy, Dundas West. Then eventually: Annette, St Clair/Keele, Rogers/Weston, Mount Dennis.

I'd call that the best of all worlds alignment.

Are there any stations north of B-D subway? I think it's allowed in the world of schematic drawings.

I get that it doesn't stop at Dundas West but the drawings really makes it look like it's taking some kind of shortcut new rail line through high park, Swansea and Sunnylea

Look very closely at the east end of the city. Like east of Line 1 on Yonge. From the lakeshore, you can get to Line 5 and Line 4 up Yonge. You can get to Line 5 up the DRL. You can get up to Sheppard on the farthest reaches of new Line 2.

West of Yonge. You can get to Line 2 up the University leg of Line 1. After that - as you head west, there are three E-W rapid transit lines, but getting between them is a bus, a UPX trip or a GO Kitchener or Barrie trip.

Something is missing in the west end. There needs to be 'rapid' transit from the lakeshore to Finch or higher. Big gap in the network grid.

Hence Jane or Kipling LRT. But Dufferin might be the best choice working out from the centre of the network.

Last edited:
The terminus being Exhibition GO rather than Ontario Place means that a Phase 2 (or 3, depending on Sheppard) extension westwards is totally back on the cards.

The question now is the orientation of the station. Given the above map, it would imply an east-west orientation. Metrolinx would be stupid to propose otherwise to the Premier.

The bottom line however, is that we now have a worthwhile reason to speculate for westward extension.

Look very closely at the east end of the city. Like east of Line 1 on Yonge. From the lakeshore, you can get to Line 5 and Line 4 up Yonge. You can get to Line 5 up the DRL. You can get up to Sheppard on the farthest reaches of new Line 2.

West of Yonge. You can get to line 1 up the University leg of Line 1. After that - as you head west, there are three E-W rapid transit lines, but getting between them is a bus, a UPX trip or a GO Kitchener or Barrie trip.

Something is missing in the west end. There needs to be 'rapid' transit from the lakeshore to Finch or higher. Big gap in the network grid.

Hence Jane or Kipling LRT. But Dufferin might be the best choice working out from the centre of the network.

That huge gap has been there for ages, and it's shocking that it's not being addressed. Rumour at the time of Transit City's unveiling a decade ago was that there would be a phase 2, which included a Kipling LRT. Dufferin and Jane are both obvious choices for rapid transit lines, but there really needs to be a north-south line in the far west end of the city (Etobicoke). Kipling is the most logical choice, especially as the city centre and civic centre rapidly develop in the next few years.

Back