News   Jul 16, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 533     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

It would have to be continuously recorded and monitored afterwards.

The camera wouldn't need to be continually monitored elsewhere. Just have a button that stores the time of the incident whenever it is pressed. At the end of the day (or whenever) someone can skip to that spot in the video recording and fine the driver.

It would have to be continuously recorded and monitored afterwards. You can't rely on the TTC drivers to take photos from dash cams (it would be illegal due to recent laws preventing texting and use of any electronic devices.) I would rather the driver pay attention to the road and pedestrians than focusing in on nailing a driver. Not sure if having someone review the tapes would be cost effective though. It certainly would at the beginning, but after a while the drivers would learn and infractions should go down. Also, the driver could flag his tape for review if he remembers seeing several incidents.

I like the idea in the long term, the details just need to be ironed out IMO.

The police really need to do blitzes on popular offending corners (left turners) in the short term - same with the parking authority. We need to enforce the laws we have to correct driver behaviour and get everyone moving more efficiently.

What about giving the drivers some mechanism to quickly record a time and date stamp (even if it's something as simple as pressing a button), so that someone can review the footage later based on the time stamps provided by the driver? Hire a couple people to go through all of the footage provided from the previous day, and scan through it to figure out who can be given a ticket.

I do like the idea of mounted dash cams to capture people breaking driving laws though. It also may help the TTC in the event of an accident to determine who was at fault.

EDIT: Saw after I posted this that TheTigerMaster said the same thing, haha. I was reading posts from the previous page, oops!

Not that I completely disagree. Right now, at least he wants to build RT sometime before the rapture.

People on this forum seem to be in love with Soknacki or even work on his campaign. I think he's OK, but I personally am not as enthusiastic as others. Maybe I'm too old (I'm in my late 20s)? The young crowd seems to love him. I have no problem voting for him but I don't feel as strongly about it.

My personal opinion is that Soknacki, Chow or Tory would all be fine. What matters most to me is that Ford doesn't win. I'm sorry, I know a lot of you hate X candidate (Tory or Chow or both), to me they're all OK except Ford.

All this trashing of "smart track".. it doesn't matter that much to me, GO RER will happen anyways. Scarborough subway vs LRT: I have a slight preference towards LRT, but they're both OK to me, it's more important to get one of them going.

Tory, Chow and Soknacki have all put out good ideas on how to improve the current system & bus service in my opinion.

People on this forum seem to be in love with Soknacki or even work on his campaign. I think he's OK, but I personally am not as enthusiastic as others. Maybe I'm too old (I'm in my late 20s)? The young crowd seems to love him. I have no problem voting for him but I don't feel as strongly about it.

My personal opinion is that Soknacki, Chow or Tory would all be fine. What matters most to me is that Ford doesn't win. I'm sorry, I know a lot of you hate X candidate (Tory or Chow or both), to me they're all OK except Ford.

All this trashing of "smart track".. it doesn't matter that much to me, GO RER will happen anyways. Scarborough subway vs LRT: I have a slight preference towards LRT, but they're both OK to me, it's more important to get one of them going.

Tory, Chow and Soknacki have all put out good ideas on how to improve the current system & bus service in my opinion.

I think we all agree that Ford has to go, and despite our preferences would vote for any of those three if they became the anti-Ford, the only viable other candidate. Luckily, it looks like there isn't much chance of Ford getting more than 25% of the vote no matter what.

Between Soknacki, Tory and Chow, which one do you favour the most?

All this trashing of "smart track".. it doesn't matter that much to me

I think it should matter to you... SmartTrack means cancelling the RL and doing only RER, while the current plan is RL + RER.

Between Soknacki, Tory and Chow, which one do you favour the most?

I think I'm leaning towards Chow or Soknacki more than Tory because they more likely to support things like Eg Connects, improving public spaces and pedestrian realm. I haven't really decided though, and I don't really see a huge difference between Sok or Chow. I honestly don't really understand why so many prefer Sok so strongly to Chow, their overall policies seem similar to me.

I like many things that Tory has said though, like express bus service with queue jump lanes and signal priority, cracking down on delivery trucks blocking lanes. My main issue is his stance against Eg Connects, but I have the feeling he'll back off 95% of it when elected.

I think it should matter to you... SmartTrack means cancelling the RL and doing only RER, while the current plan is RL + RER.

I have serious doubts that if the studies come back and say the subway RL is needed, Tory would be against it. I personally think people are over-estimating the importance of who the mayor is, and how much of their campaign agenda will become reality. I don't think the RL will be automatically cancelled if Tory is elected. How many council votes related to DRL will there be? It also depends on the make-up of council.

Also, I know most of you strongly disagree with what I'm about to say, but to me "smart track" is not the worst idea in the world. It would probably end up being GO RER on Georgetown + Stouffville lines with some stops added and maybe fare integration. I see nothing wrong with that. The Eglinton west part might not be built.

I would agree honestly, but with Chow we will get the most LRTs but DRL is a question mark, my problem with Tory is that nothing will happen on the LRT from and nothing on Eglinton West but good relief plan which will carry more then the subway DRL., I wish Soknacki was polling higher

I don't know, I still have not decided and there is less then three months left...

I would agree honestly, but with Chow we will get the most LRTs but DRL is a question mark, my problem with Tory is that nothing will happen on the LRT from and nothing on Eglinton West but good relief plan which will carry more then the subway DRL., I wish Soknacki was polling higher

I don't know, I still have not decided and there is less then three months left...

Honestly nothing will happen on Eglinton West (I'm assuming you mean west of Weston) no matter who gets elected mayor. With the LRT under construction I don't think transit attention will turn to that part of Eglinton in a long while, other than things like Georgetown RER going to Eg & Weston.

Don't worry, it's still really early ;). 90% of people probably haven't even started paying attention.

I think I'm leaning towards Chow or Soknacki more than Tory because they more likely to support things like Eg Connects, improving public spaces and pedestrian realm. I haven't really decided though, and I don't really see a huge difference between Sok or Chow. I honestly don't really understand why so many prefer Sok so strongly to Chow, their overall policies seem similar to me.
For me it's because Sok hasn't been pandering to win votes, unlike all the other candidates. He's made sure to apply facts and logic to every single decision he's made during this campaign. That's the kind of mayor I want.

Last edited:
For me it's because Sok hasn't been pandering to win votes, unlike all the other candidates. He's made sure to apply facts and logic to every single decision he's made during this campaign. That's the kind of mayor I want.

Sorry but I'm trying to understand: is there an example that you can give that made you prefer Sok to Chow?

Well specifically Chow's gun ban announcement really turned me off of her. It's an empty promise that she knows will do nothing. I haven't seen Sok pull a similar stunt.

Then the Yonge line becomes so hopelessly congested that it'd be political suicide for any candidate municipally, provincially or federally to not endorse a DRL.
I'd rather they felt like that right now. But the problem is they don't, especially municipally.

Go find some links from any media source from 2003-2009 that supported the completion of any subways, not anonymous internet posters. Why can't you admit the people of Toronto have some culpability in this at least once?

And you were the only person in the entire GTA that did so. All indications are that it will be built to Steeles, and does really sound like a good idea?
Could be Steeles, Highway 7, or nothing getting the go-ahead during this mandate. That's up to the province. There is no "all indications" here.

We're completing a subway right now that was approved in that time period. And I remember a bunch of stories about the DRL in 2009-10 when the Yonge extension became a big story. Let's not forget that City Council actually approved and funded (or co-funded) the E.A. for Yonge.

A few DRL-related links from those years:
http://torontoist.com/2010/06/rocket_talk_whats_the_plan_for_a_downtown_relief_line/
http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5113.shtml
http://www.drlnow.com/yongecapacity.html
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2009/01/29/city-council-boards-the-drl-bandwagon/
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=167014

I don't see any point in blaming the people of Toronto for transit planning. Not like we have referendums for transit.

I agree. If necessary, I'll change my vote if Ford is still a serious factor in late October, though I don't expect that to happen.

Back