News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 468     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Ontario Legislative Building Restoration

Definitely a creative solution.

I imagine a key factor guiding their decision is security. If you're familiar with the grounds of Queen's Park, you will often see an OPP vehicle and/or officers circling the grounds. Once inside the pink palace, there are layers of security restricting your access. In the case of Old City Hall, they would have to balance the requirements of a public court house with the needs of a secure Legislative Assembly and political offices.

It was my understanding that Old City Hall is essentially empty now; that the court functions are finally completely finished at Old City Hall and moved to the new courthouse.

Addendum: After some googling, it seems that there might be some remaining City-run provincial offence court functions there, but these are the ones scheduled to move to the St. Lawrence Market North building shortly.

It's been a while since I was at Old City Hall but I'm not sure it could handle a legislative chambre, support facilities plus all the legislative and staff office space required. Many of the MPPs and Ministers have offices in the blocks adjacent to Queen's Park, and doubt they would be willing to shuttle back and forth or be that far from their teddy bears.

The Legislative Library, like the Library of Parliament, is not open to the public; it is a resource for legislators and the Legislative Assembly.

Well, semi-seriously, I can picture DoFo offering to retrofit the Toronto Congress Centre for legislative purposes. Yeah, Dixon & 27 is the boondocks, but...
DoFo puts the Congress in the Toronto Congress Centre.

DoFo is so Americanized, he inadvertently calls the Ontario Legislature the Ontario Congress.

DoFo puts the Congress in the Toronto Congress Centre.

DoFo is so Americanized, he inadvertently calls the Ontario Legislature the Ontario Congress.
To be fair I believe Doug is a dual citizen from what I recall and spent years living and working in Chicago before his stint as a Councillor. He’s not so much “Americanized” as he is just plain old “American”.

The Legislative Library, like the Library of Parliament, is not open to the public; it is a resource for legislators and the Legislative Assembly.

Well.........if certain MP/MPPs find you useful............funny how their names may end up on the bottom of your request for research.......... ;)

I've never set foot inside the legislature - anything worth seeing in there?
Depends what you're in to. It has some neat architecture, large portraits of old dead guys. The Legislative Chambre always struck me as small; certainly smaller that I thought it was (must be the camers lenses they use). I once saw a 'behind-the walls' video' highlighting what the discovered had been covered up over the years, which I found interesting (similar to Massey Hall).

As for what goes on inside - meh.

To be fair I believe Doug is a dual citizen from what I recall and spent years living and working in Chicago before his stint as a Councillor. He’s not so much “Americanized” as he is just plain old “American”.
Nothing in the Wiki entry says anything about Doug being a dual US citizen...unless I missed that or something. Although that wouldn't stop him from being the latter part... >.<

Really? As far as I know it's been called the Congress Centre' since it was built in 1995.
True, but it's more like poetic justice. DoFo must be saying: "Eureka! Now we can call it the *Ontario* Congress Centre!"

Back