244     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 247     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Only Pricing Congestion Can Stop Congestion

my solution

1. gas tax of some sort
2. on the 401 the the 2 lanes farthest to the left become toll lanes. the lanes price can change based on time of day and by how many people are using it.
3. on 3 lane highways like qew/dvp the left lane again used as a toll lane
4. on the allen from eglinton to lawrence and vice versa all lanes are toll lanes
5. green p parking charge market value
6. an additional parking fee of 5$ on every parking spot downtown

Put a toll on some/all highways.
Use money to improve public transit.
This fixes congestion.
$Profit

It all comes down to who do we want the additional funding burden to fall onto. A gas tax is a great way of making a blanket tax. Problem is, it's not likely to reduce congestion. Increased gas prices have very little effect on the amount people drive on a day to day basis.

I think this is a very important distinction touched upon by gweed123. Pricing to deal with congestion, and pricing to deal with raising revenue for delivering a service (i.e. transit) can often be two very different things. Taxing gas is administratively easy. It, however, is a blunt instrument, and as such probably best reserved for raising revenue. Any reduction in general traffic volumes would be an outcome of a potential reduction in vehicle use. However, the choke points of peoples' commutes which people imagine/visualise/refer when they think of 'congestion' might still remain. I.e. your commute home is still likely to be as arduous - you just may encounter a little less volume on the weekend if people do fewer side trips. As such, if the goal is to address congestion, it really is not the best tool.

Ultimately, one has to define the nature of the congestion in order to address it. Is there a temporal component to it (i.e., during the 3 - 7pm rush home)? Is there a spatial component to it (i.e. at the 401/400 interchange)? Is there a modal component (i.e.too many of a specific type of vehicle on the road)? Hence the preference towards road tolls and/or congestion tolls instead of a gas tax to deal with congestion. Road tolls and congestion tolls can be targeted to address these specific components (often requiring the right technologies which may well eat up the revenues generated - don't forget about the operating cost in addition to the capital cost) and deal with congestion more effectively. It may not remove these vehicles from the road overall (there are only so many ways to reasonably get from point A to point B), but redistribute road use across time, space, and mode thus dealing with the congestion.

Basically, even if a big ol' gmc cube van driver chooses to use a different road (change in space) at a different time (change in time) in a transit connect (change in mode), that still has effectively dealt with the congestion that was determined to be a problem. The driver is still driving, but not where/when/how it was causing a problem. You haven't eliminated the trip, but you have changed its nature through pricing.

Taxing gas might just reduce the overall kilometres driven by the driver (i.e. fewer side trips), make the driver switch to something more fuel efficient (block v8 gmc to an anaemic four-banger in a transit connect) but not affect their route or timing which likely may be the root contributor of the choke points people identify as 'congestion'. Charging use of the road way that is the point of congestion would be more effective than taxing gas.

Whether charging for use of something that is already (mostly) paid for through taxation is a different story. But in the age of user fees, I suppose there shouldn't be any moral qualms about it . .?

Last edited:
I think people would be willing to pay the tolls if there was an attractive alternative, or even plans to build one. The problem with the Toronto area is that we have a long history of drawing up plans, but little success at implementing them. Because of this, people don't have the confidence that their toll money would be used wisely.

The solution should be a restructuring of transportation in the Greater Toronto Area. Metrolinx should become THE transit authority for the region, no more mix of separate systems for different municipalities. Metrolinx would also hold public elections every 10 years, so that if people didn't like the direction or progress that current leaders were taking, they could have their say. The reason for the longer cycle would be because of the time required to implement transportation projects, so this way the opposition couldn't just come in and cancel the previous plans every 5 years. And yes, they would have the ability to create their own revenue tools to help fund project.

I think people would be willing to pay the tolls if there was an attractive alternative, or even plans to build one. The problem with the Toronto area is that we have a long history of drawing up plans, but little success at implementing them. Because of this, people don't have the confidence that their toll money would be used wisely.

This is why I think that the tolls should be implemented in conjunction with Phase 1 of the electrification of the GO lines. That way there is a clear link: Here is improved transit, and here are the tolls to help pay for the next round. If you don't make a clear link between the transit and the tolls, people will think it's just a cash grab. To take that one step further, I think the tolls should start being charged the same day as the electrified GO starts running.

The solution should be a restructuring of transportation in the Greater Toronto Area. Metrolinx should become THE transit authority for the region, no more mix of separate systems for different municipalities. Metrolinx would also hold public elections every 10 years, so that if people didn't like the direction or progress that current leaders were taking, they could have their say. The reason for the longer cycle would be because of the time required to implement transportation projects, so this way the opposition couldn't just come in and cancel the previous plans every 5 years. And yes, they would have the ability to create their own revenue tools to help fund project.

Interesting idea. The way I see the Metrolinx Board working is that it would be composed of 1/3 Professional Planners appointed by the Province, and 2/3 designated representatives of local councils. These representatives would be appointed by a council vote. Any changes to rapid transit plans would require a 50%+1 vote. The idea is that the whole Board wouldn't be thrown out every time an election takes place, and that the change-over would be more gradual, and less subject to political tides.

And ibhattac, spot on with your entire comment, +1.

There are only three principles of engineering. The principle that applies here is "you can't push on a rope". The only thing that can reduce congestion is reduced congestion.

Congestion charges or building transit etc. can only reduce congestion under steady state conditions, that is if nothing else about the system changes. If steady state conditions prevail than your cooking with gas. However, if steady state conditions do not prevail then anyone selling congestion charges or public transit as agents of congestion relief are selling you snake oil (which is not to say that congestion charges or public transit aren't important for other very important reasons).

Congestion pricing and more infrastructure produce new equilibrium set-points. The system will gradually shift to once again congest the existing road infrastructure over time if there is an external pressure for it to do so. The lag time between the old congestion equilibrium and the new equilibrium is usually enough breathing space for people like politicians to pat themselves on the back and call themselves swell. We of course know better and so we can discuss the importance of congestion levys and infrastructure improvements for their other important contributions.

Congestion pricing and more infrastructure produce new equilibrium set-points. The system will gradually shift to once again congest the existing road infrastructure over time if there is an external pressure for it to do so. The lag time between the old congestion equilibrium and the new equilibrium is usually enough breathing space for people like politicians to pat themselves on the back and call themselves swell. We of course know better and so we can discuss the importance of congestion levys and infrastructure improvements for their other important contributions.
Of course, once you have the infrastructure in place, it's much easier to move the equilibrium point on congestion pricing than on new infrastructure. (i.e. raise prices) With constant price adjustments that respond to the increase in demand, you can artificially sustain "breathing space".

A congestion charge for downtown might be a good idea if the revenues were dedicated to improving the road networks -- such as extending Front Street to the Gardiner or expanding/rebuilding the Gardiner.

Yup. One important change though, there are far more people being moved on the same street now as a large number did move permanently over to the bus system and the city grew to fill in the vacancies.

Where tax base is a function of economic activity; this was a good move for the city.
Yes, all good, but the point of this topic is to claim that "only pricing congestion can stop congestion", when in London's case all the congestion pricing accomplished was to delay congestion to where it has now matched and exceeded what it was before.

Does anybody know how many vehicles are commuting from outside Toronto into the downtown core every day? I can't seem to find any figures.

Thanks for the link, I had looked at it before and it seems it only covers trips coming into Toronto and its wards, but not where the vehicles are coming from. I'm curious to know.

Add in that in many regions there would be a lack of confidence that the money would be spent fixing their own specific problem. I'll use a personal (and extreme for illustrative purposes) tolling/taxing the drivers on the 410 every day and then using that money to build a subway to a mall in Scarborough is hardly going to grab any public support.

If there was a specific tax that contributed to micro-regional transit/infrastructure you could sell it to the public.....I think?

I have to respectfully disagree with the emphasized (mine) part. One sure way to create/continue a sense of "nothing gets done" is to have elections. Regardless of how far apart the elections are, this would create an environment where areas/cities/wards within the region are pitted against anyone.

So, to carry forward my previous example, my area might only vote for candidates that promised to ensure that subway to STC is never built and to ensure that our area is first in line for spending. The idea of "one region one transit authority", though, is something that I can get behind.

Back