News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

On-Street Parking Rate set to rise

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Perusing the latest Green P Agenda (April 24), I came across this:

http://parking.greenp.com/documents/board_meetings/Item 3-3 AGE April 24-2017.pdf

It appears the top parking rate for commercial on-street parking (as opposed to permit parking) will rise to $5 per hour effective fall 2017 (subject to council approval).

Other lesser rates would also be raised.

About time!

Now if we can only get the permit parking rates up to market value........

No media articles that I could see, minutes aren't posted, so I can't confirm if this passed.

But is it cheaper to get a parking ticket instead? What is the fine for parking over the 3-hour time limit?

The 3 hour maximum is half the price of a parking ticket. 6 hours would be the break-even point. If you are a habitual offender, the city can tow though, at which point the cost to retrieve your car goes up significantly.

Almost all forms of public parking across the city are still way too cheap, even after this, and if Tory were actually serious about pursuing additional revenue tools instead of just partaking in politically advantageous whining, and if he weren't so petrified of upsetting the single-occupancy-vehicle-rules-all crowd, he'd realize there's huge potential here.

I think its just $15.

The same price for the daily parking at Wild Water Kingdom. See link.

More expensive to park at Canada's Wonderland. See link.
Canada’s Wonderland offers ample parking adjacent to the Park. Parking for autos and vans costs $20.00 (tax included) per vehicle when you purchase online - a $2 savings off the price at the park. Parking for RVs and campers is $30.00. Disabled parking is available. A drop-off and pick-up area is located on the east side of the main parking lot, off of Jane Street between Norwood Avenue and Avro Avenue.

Definitely, parking ticket fines should be higher that parking at some garage or lot.

Almost all forms of public parking across the city are still way too cheap, even after this, and if Tory were actually serious about pursuing additional revenue tools instead of just partaking in politically advantageous whining, and if he weren't so petrified of upsetting the single-occupancy-vehicle-rules-all crowd, he'd realize there's huge potential here.

You can't make the rates too high, or people will just stop making trips = less economic growth.

For many it's not feasible to take transit.

Sorry

I think it's $15 on a normal street with no meters.
Yeah, it is $30 at an expired meter if you pay right away. I think it is $40 if you block a laneway or driveway. Parking in a HOV lane, on a sidewalk, TTC zone, or double parking goes up to $150.

Yeah, it is $30 at an expired meter if you pay right away. I think it is $40 if you block a laneway or driveway.
Seems way too cheap - they'd have to nail you a significant amount of the time you park, to make that really worthwhile to never cheat. Not paying a parking charge is only $30 but not paying your TTC fare is $235? Based on ability to pay, I'd think car parking fines downtown should be higher than not paying TTC fines.

Mind you, with the efficiency of the parking officer who works the area around my office building, it would be difficult to not get a ticket. I've seen him while walking to my car at the 3-hour mark - he knows when the ticket expires, and he's just waiting. :)

Now I understand the crowd here better. Apparently no one posting on urbantoronto has ever received a parking ticket. About three years ago, the minimum parking fines were all changed to $30.00 across the board. The minimum hit you are going to take is $30.00 + the $1.25 convenience charge for paying. So the correct answer to the question is $31.25. It gets stiffer for selfish behavior like parking in a disabled spot.

Now I understand the crowd here better. Apparently no one posting on urbantoronto has ever received a parking ticket. About three years ago, the minimum parking fines were all changed to $30.00 across the board. The minimum hit you are going to take is $30.00 + the $1.25 convenience charge for paying. So the correct answer to the question is $31.25. It gets stiffer for selfish behavior like parking in a disabled spot.

I get parking tickets all the time. I park in a neighbourhood in the Yonge + York Mills area to avoid paying the $175 per month parking pass in the building I work at.

Like I said, you can get a ticket of $15 if you park on a regular street for more than 3 hours. I know because I get a few of those each year.

If you park on private property the ticket is $30 (and a good chance of being towed).

You can't make the rates too high, or people will just stop making trips = less economic growth.

For many it's not feasible to take transit.

Show me a compelling piece of research that illustrates a strong correlation between cost of parking and economic growth.

Back