News   Sep 06, 2024
 637     0 

Toronto Old Mill Towers Renovation

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
As a child, Ray Mandel escaped Nazi persecution in Poland, fleeing with his family to Toronto. By 1957 he had graduated with a degree in architecture from the University of Toronto. By 1962 he had a private practice and was designing his first major commission; the curving, modernist Royal York Gardens apartment just north of Dundas Street. By 1967 he had won an Award of Merit from the Urban Development Institute for his second major commission, Old Mill Towers near the soon to be completed subway station.

OldMillTowersArchives1.jpg

City of Toronto Archives, photo by Eric Trussler

Of all the brutalist landmarks in Toronto, 23 storey Old Mill Towers is possibly the least brutal: its large expanses of glass, clean lines, and textured concrete side walls have always given it a refined air, and made it a welcome addition to the scenic Humber Valley.

OldMillTowersCJW2.jpg

Forty-odd years later, like many other aging concrete structures in the city, the building was looking somewhat the worse for wear. Now it’s getting a facelift, a thorough and massive job that will eventually include replacing all of the windows with up-to-date ones. To start, however, the building’s textured-concrete south facade is getting all the attention...

OldMillTowersCJW3.jpg

OldMillTowersCJW4.jpg

But is it the attention it deserves? What has gone up so far begs some questions.

The south facade consists of two planes of corduroy-textured concrete on either side of a central strip of windows.

OldMillTowersCJW5.jpg

To the west of the window strip, the textured concrete has been ground off, and flat sheets of styrofoam insulation are now being secured to the flat remains.

OldMillTowersCJW6.jpg

To the east of the window strip, long, thin strips of styrofoam insulation are being applied to directly to the existing concrete ribs.

OldMillTowersCJW7.jpg

OldMillTowersCJW8.jpg

OldMillTowersCJW9.jpg

Why the different approach on either side of the windows? How will it all look when it is done: will the building maintain the look Raymond Mandel originally imparted to it, and what materials will be applied over the styrofoam?

UrbanToronto is looking for the answers!

It definitely looks sketchy being the textured concrete is a signature feature of the style. One would hope that they're not going with some sort of cheesy new cladding in beige with cheap ornamentation.

looks very ominous. that is such a beautiful building and it appears that they are about to ruin it with EIFS.

Given the gross fate of the Old Mill ruins and whatever other condo schlock in the vicinity, well...this may wind up being the A-1 demonstration of my "if you think the Sheraton Centre is bad now, imagine it 'improved'" argument...

Yep. Some sort of synthetic or arcyllic stucco that will absorb the pollution and look like crap in only a few years. To me it looks like they are filling in the grouves on the one side so I'd assume an overall smooth finish. Why the concrete wasn't sanded I don't know. Perhaps, the neighbourhood complained or its cheaper to do it this way. The south face may not need the additional insulationing value.

Really sad to see this luxury highrise get stucco'd

Sad. It's a very distinguished structure, and the "corrigated" surface it what makes the window facades look so crisp.

At least it's well-proportioned.

I don't get the love you guys have for this thing. I've despised it for my entire life. That being said, however...

Given the gross fate of the Old Mill ruins and whatever other condo schlock in the vicinity, well...this may wind up being the A-1 demonstration of my "if you think the Sheraton Centre is bad now, imagine it 'improved'" argument...

...I fully agree with this statement. The original may be bad, but any of these misguided attempts to update it will only make it much worse. Just leave it be. For all its faults in my opinion, it's the only condo in the entire area that had the self-esteem to be unapologetically modern, rather than historicist schlock.

I will say though that Mandel's Royal York Gardens is a far more intriguing design. Even his final project, the near complete James Club, is turning out better than I was expecting.

I got a chance to speak with building manager Ron Gerring recently about the work underway, and had a chance to add to the photos.

I met Ron in the rather lovely lobby: the place is very tastefully decorated, and sports enlargements from the Toronto Archives of photos from the days when mills actually operated here on the Humber. The west wall of the lobby features the beautiful corrugated concrete found on the exterior... and protected from the weather, in better condition than what it on the exterior. From those coming and going in the lobby, one has a real sense of the building being a vertical neighbourhood. (I'm sorry I don't have any lobby photos.)

The problem with the corrugated finish on the exterior is that 45 years of exposure to the elements has weakened it in some areas, and chunks have fallen off. There are patches in the building's smooth concrete east and west facades too, indicating similar problems. Windows of that era are no longer considered up to current standards insulation-wise either, nor are they easy to clean with screens for the sliding portions on the exterior. Those sliding portions have also shown to be a problem in other buildings in this city as of late, with children having fallen out after getting them open in other buildings.

Facing all of that, Princess Management decided to spend some money fixing the exterior, and renewing the look of the building. Unfortunately that means the corrugated finish must go: it's beautiful, but when chunks begin to fall, the beauty becomes deceptive.

Here's a current shot of the building overall, from the road:

OldMillTowersfromtheroad.jpg

From a distance the clean lines predominate, and you don't notice the patches in the concrete. You can clearly see by the reflections which windows have been replaced already: the new ones have a UV coating that pick up the blue in the sky. Below, we get a little closer:

OldMillTowersvertical.jpg

The windows are being replaced at the rate of approximately 2 apartments per working day.

OldMillTowersmissingteeth.jpg

OldMillTowershangingabout.jpg

OldMillTowersfixingwindows.jpg

You can also see that the new windows include 3 large panes instead of two, and the sliders have been replaced with a single operating window which opens out, only four inches, and not enough for any family members to fall through. Screens for the operating windows will be on the inside, making cleaning of the glass easier.

OldMillTowerssunlightpatches.jpg

Above, bright sunlight on the building highlights the patches in the concrete.

OldMillTowersnorthface.jpg

Above you can see the completed north face of the building. It is EIFS and stucco, but it has been coloured to match well with the existing building. Staggered lines in the finish break up some of the bulk of the wall.

The full exterior of the building will be renewed over the course of the project. It's too bad the original concrete has not lasted forever, and cannot be replicated at this stage, but I am assured that the final result will be handsome.

Last edited:
thanks for the great update. its a big relief to see how they are handling the necessary repairs to their building. its actually sort of hard to believe: a tasteful and historically sensitive remodel of a modernist tower, one that supports the original design. wow! i actually like the new colour, and the windows are possibly even an improvement.
it makes clear that the problem isn't EIFS per se, but rather the hamfisted and schlocky way it is usually deployed. if you leave out the ugly and ubiquitous beige/yellow colour, and--especially--the ridiculous "ye olde" moulding, trim etc. (often in contrasting colours), it seems like a perfectly adequate material.

Last edited:
I second thedeepend's comments. That's a relief that the new cladding is going to be tastefully modern. Still, we have a lot of great concrete architecture in the city and it would be unfortunate to lose it all as it ages.

42, If I may correct one thing you wrote in the part II posting "The problem with the corrugated finish on the exterior is that 45 years of exposure to the elements has weakened it in some areas, and chunks have fallen off" As far as I know NO chunks have fallen off however there has been a variety of large "chunks" safely removed by professional companies.

Back