News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Oakville

S

spmarshall

These were taken a few weeks ago.

Bronte doesn't look like much from Lakeshore Road (about as interesting as Clarkson), but to the south, there's a nice marina and a bit more than I expected.

Bronte1.jpg

Bronte2.jpg

Bronte3.jpg

Bronte4.jpg

Bronte5.jpg

Bronte6.jpg

On to Oakville, where last weekend, Sharkey's, a popular restaurant and bar closed.

Oakville1.jpg

The NIMBYs of Oakville, who wanted Sharkey's gone, got this instead:

Oakville8.jpg

Oakville has a nice small downtown core, with a nice waterfront park and some houses dating as far back as the 1830s.

Oakville2.jpg

Oakville3.jpg

Oakville4.jpg

Oakville5.jpg

Oakville7.jpg

Oakville9.jpg

Oakville10.jpg

Oakville11.jpg

Oakville13.jpg

Oakville14.jpg

Oakville15.jpg

Nice pics, spmarshall. Downtown Oakville seems very nice, but I wouldn't spend 3 million bucks for a condo there (not that I have that much money in the first place).

Neither would I. Port Credit's more fun than Oakville, Toronto's even better. $3M would get you quite the condo in a development like the Ritz or Trump.

Oakville has a nice core area.

However I wish the people where not so stuck up.

One of my friends(shes married with kids) just moved to Oakville. And you would think she moved to the best place on earth. Now nothing is better then Oakville. Mississauga is crap, Toronto is crap, etc. Nothing but high end Oakville.

That attitude really gets to me. Because other then that, it is one of the better suburbs if you live in the old area of it.

However I wish the people where not so stuck up.

There's a certain amount of truth in that...Oakville is perhaps the last bastion of WASP non-multiculturalism in the Golden Horseshoe area, and you will find some WASP snobbishness there, definitely. But even that is changing, all the developments along dundas street, right out to Burlington, most of these houses are being bought by folks from all over.
In a few years, Oakville will never be the same.

nice pics, btw.

Yeah I guess it will change. I had to really bite my lip when I was in Forest Hill with this lady from Oakville, and she actually said Forest Hill was not as nice as Oakville, and was to overcrowded.

^why bite you lip? Next time just tell the lady she's an idiot and walk away. :lol

Great photos.

Oakville is perhaps the last bastion of WASP non-multiculturalism in the Golden Horseshoe area

I guess that makes it a unique cultural neighbourhood! And it would seem to be a dwindling one, what with the nice lady telling mike that the population was getting thin in Oakyville.

Nice pics, spm. Oakville definitely is a charming town... the whiteness doesn't bother me.

A large part of my very black family have been living in oakville for over 35 years.

hehe.

My cousin's best friend infact is donovan baily. <---a black guy

Donvan baily has his house in oakville too.

My other cousin built a sprawling mansion on lakeshore too.
another black guy.

Yeah its waspy... but I am so secluded by it when im out there cause i never leave my family's home. So it never seems that bad. i mean there is no real reason to go stroll around in oakville. So in the end who cares what the racial make up is around there.

and its no yorkville. So they cant get that high on themselves.

Its just a suburb. and suburbs are boring.

From those pictures, I can see why it's appealing -- the river going through all those boats. But i think that image must cloud the reality -- traffic must be bad, and "life" must be boring and that "image" can be enjoyed by like 8 people. I know i'm applying my values to it -- but the power of myth, here, the Oakville Good Life myth, is evident.

Oakville has the GTA's classiest downtown. Not only for what it has, but for what it doesn't have.

Heh, my buddy used to work at sharkies. He lives on Lakeshore, but he one of the most down to earth people I have ever met. He absolutely HATES Oakville and the people that came into Sharkies. And he hates the downtown because it's catered just for the wealthy types...which makes sense but sucks for him since he hates that scene. It is pretty, but I definitely wouldn't to have that as my downtown either.

Back